News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

IA 2 now open from I-29 to Missouri River bridge

Started by huskeroadgeek, October 26, 2011, 01:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

It opened on Monday, which was much earlier than anticipated. Actually, only 2 lanes are open right now but just a few weeks ago, reports were saying it wouldn't open until December. This means that the last major link that was closed by flooding this summer is now open.

Alps

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Steve on October 26, 2011, 08:31:07 PM
I'd call I-680 a major link...
True, but there are easy ways around it. The closure of the NE/IA 2 bridge cut off a major link between I-80 and I-29 that didn't have an easy way around it.

M86

Ehh... That stretch of I-680 is very low in terms of vehicle counts.  It's not a vital link into the Council Bluffs/Omaha area.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: M86 on October 27, 2011, 12:43:52 AM
Ehh... That stretch of I-680 is very low in terms of vehicle counts.  It's not a vital link into the Council Bluffs/Omaha area.
Yeah, it's useful best as a shortcut for thru traffic from I-80 west of Omaha to I-29 North towards Sioux City. But taking I-80 to I-29 isn't that much longer. The only real inconvenience in having it closed is its use as a direct connection between north Omaha and I-29.

iowahighways

All of the flooded state highways in Iowa have reopened. I-680 and IA 175 reopened November 2, and the last closed road, IA 333 in Hamburg, reopened by November 16. (Links go to DOT press releases.)
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.