News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Service signs: Brand logos or no?

Started by blawp, April 29, 2012, 12:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: roadfro on June 30, 2012, 10:56:57 PM
^ I'm reasonably certain that the logo signs aren't supposed to be put up if one can't easily re-enter the highway in the same direction at the interchange.

That would make sense, but... there are logo signs for I-670's WB exit 1A.  Westbound re-entry is possible but not obvious. (Those same logos are posted EB for exit 1, which is equivalent to WB exit 1B {personally I think it should be 1B in both directions} implying the quickest way to EB reentry from those places is not the way one got there from exit 1...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman

Quote from: deanej on June 29, 2012, 02:24:25 PM
Exiting and getting back on is extremely annoying at best (plus you waste gas), and can be tricky or impossible depending on ramp configuration.  It's trivial at a diamond, you'll have to turn around somewhere for a folded diamond, and you're just plain out of luck if it's a half diamond.

If the state you're in has a halfway decent sign policy (i.e. they conform to the MUTCD), they shouldn't be allowing LOGO signs at a half-diamond in the first place.  Half-diamond interchanges do not conform to the "easy re-entry onto the freeway in the same direction of travel" recommendations of the MUTCD.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: roadfro on June 30, 2012, 10:56:57 PM
^ I'm reasonably certain that the logo signs aren't supposed to be put up if one can't easily re-enter the highway in the same direction at the interchange.

Section 2J.01, Paragraph 04, of the 2009 MUTCD.  However, the requirement is only a "should not" condition, not a "shall not" one.  Sadly, there are some states out there that consider a "should" condition only as an option, not as a strong recommendation.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

I saw on google street view, that the Ontario Ministry of Transportation is using them on the Queen Elizabeth Way at some of the interchanges in the Grimsby area. 

When I drove that back in the 90's, all motorist service signs were white on brown like US park signs.  They did use the gas pump, meal plate, and bed just as the US did for a while.  I do not know if the MUTCD for Canada is adopting US MUTCD guidelines or if it is being done internationally like the traffic control devices.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

BigMattFromTexas

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.