News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I think I-73 will be an intrastate interstate like I-27 is and I-74 in NC will be like I-87 with another segment a few states away.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 25, 2017, 04:09:33 PM
Are there plans to extend Interstate 73 further north towards the Virginia state line anytime soon?

sometime after 2027.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on April 25, 2017, 06:32:53 PM
Quote from: sparker on April 25, 2017, 04:45:19 PMIt seems that the eastern-state projects (I-42, upgrading the I-87 pathway, the Wilmington bypass, etc.) have superseded the 73/74 composite corridor (the WS I-74 bypass progress notwithstanding) as the locus of NC Interstate activity -- at least for the present.

As well they should. Up until recent years, eastern NC has usually gotten the shaft. Virginia is still many years from breaking ground (assuming they actually do it), and South Carolina wants the feds to pay for I-73 (good luck with that). The non-freeway sections of US-70 between Raleigh and Morehead City have been a nightmare for years and it's planned upgrade to I-42 has been long overdue. It should've been done years ago since it carries more traffic than the nearby US-264 and US-64 freeways, as well as serving as a hurricane evacuation route.

I-795's extension along US-117's corridor to I-40 makes sense because it would provide a high-speed shortcut between the Port of Wilmington and I-95 in Wilson. The new terrain alignment between the Mar-Mac area of Goldsboro and where I-795 currently ends will help relieve traffic on US-117 in that stretch, as well as provide a second Neuse River crossing since the US-117 bridges over the Neuse River are notoriously prone to flooding. It doesn't take much for those bridges to go under water.

As for I-87 and I-587, they can wait. I-87's corridor is already a freeway for nearly half it's length and with the exception of Hampton Roads, there's no support for I-87 in Virginia. The entire length of I-587's corridor is already a freeway with little traffic so I see no hurry to upgrade US-264.

Don't get me wrong. I think NCDOT did the right thing in building this latest section of I-73 since it gives easy access to the PTI airport from points north of Greensboro, as well as allowing for the taxiway to be built and W-S Northern Beltway will help relieve traffic there. But considering Virginia's politics and South Carolina's pipe dream of wanting the feds to foot the bill for I-73, any more money spent on I-73's extension would be a waste as things stand right now, IMO.

waste of money? sorry, I disagree.

Strider

Quote from: sparker on April 25, 2017, 04:45:19 PM
Looks like, except for the "will-they-or-won't-they" status of the Rockingham bypass, that most of I-73, save the final sections to both state lines, will be a fait accompli in NC.  Any further news on Rockingham -- has anyone in or out of NCDOT managed to advance that status to near-term rather than a 10+-year wait?  It seems that the eastern-state projects (I-42, upgrading the I-87 pathway, the Wilmington bypass, etc.) have superseded the 73/74 composite corridor (the WS I-74 bypass progress notwithstanding) as the locus of NC Interstate activity -- at least for the present.  Perhaps this change of focus is just cyclical activity partially due to internecine state politics -- with 73/74 regaining attention after some of the other projects mature.   

The Virginia GA just passed the I-73 Bill not long ago (in January, I think). Last time I heard, the GA plans on to vote again in 2018 about I-73 bill. If approved, it will proceed with the reserving money for I-73, which is more likely be the same method they use to pay for U.S. 58 widening in the state. Right now, people who are involved in that I-73 bill is working on funding.

SC is waiting for the U.S. Corp of Engineers to approve or decline the permit for I-73 construction which should happen sometime soon, while they are doing that, Horry County is hoping to extend hospitality tax and use some of the money for their section of I-73 (upgrade SC 22 to interstate standards). They also are hoping to save up $100 million to show the feds they are serious about building the road from I-95 to Myrtle Beach.

I have been to many of their I-73 meetings and from what I saw, they are VERY serious about getting I-73 built.

roadman65

At least if they can get I-73 built from the NC Line to I-581 you still would have a decent interstate spanning several miles as from Roanoke south to Greensboro could use a freeway corridor and connecting with the existing US 220 corridor to Rockingham even if SC never gets to theirs it would be a long enough corridor to warrant a designation.

Anyway having I-81 have freeway access to the Piedmont Triad region is good enough as it is a populated area of NC and I-81 connects to the Northeast, so it would be great to induce commerce on a national level by having the connection.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on April 25, 2017, 03:24:34 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 24, 2017, 06:40:33 PM
http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/i--from-airport-area-to-u-s-in-greensboro/article_a6c39688-04f7-56d3-beb9-5862194aa97d.html

This is somewhat old news (April 7 publication) but I don't recall seeing it in the Forum before. The section of I-73 between NC 68 and US 220 should open within days. The section between I-840 and NC 68 should be finished by the end of June, and the section concurrent with US 220 should be completed by October.

Yeah, the section of I-73 between NC 68 and US 220 should be open this week (hopefully by Saturday), unless there are weather delays. I just checked that area, they only need to do line painting at the on and off ramps and putting up the NC 68 and I-73 signs at the NC 68 interchange (Exit 111). I'd say the section is around 99.5% complete.
While no official news on the NC 68-US 220 Connector, NCDOT has posted a press release about the upcoming closure of Bryan Blvd west of PTI Airport so that the new I-73 connection to NC 68 can be completed, and the posted detour routes. On of the detour listings erroneously includes I-40, perhaps they meant to follow the signs 'To I-40' when accessing the Loop southbound. Also wonder if the detour signs will include I-73 shields:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13761

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on April 26, 2017, 11:49:13 AM
Quote from: Strider on April 25, 2017, 03:24:34 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 24, 2017, 06:40:33 PM
http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/i--from-airport-area-to-u-s-in-greensboro/article_a6c39688-04f7-56d3-beb9-5862194aa97d.html

This is somewhat old news (April 7 publication) but I don't recall seeing it in the Forum before. The section of I-73 between NC 68 and US 220 should open within days. The section between I-840 and NC 68 should be finished by the end of June, and the section concurrent with US 220 should be completed by October.

Yeah, the section of I-73 between NC 68 and US 220 should be open this week (hopefully by Saturday), unless there are weather delays. I just checked that area, they only need to do line painting at the on and off ramps and putting up the NC 68 and I-73 signs at the NC 68 interchange (Exit 111). I'd say the section is around 99.5% complete.
While no official news on the NC 68-US 220 Connector, NCDOT has posted a press release about the upcoming closure of Bryan Blvd west of PTI Airport so that the new I-73 connection to NC 68 can be completed, and the posted detour routes. On of the detour listings erroneously includes I-40, perhaps they meant to follow the signs 'To I-40' when accessing the Loop southbound. Also wonder if the detour signs will include I-73 shields:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13761

Good question. I guess we will find out on April 29th. Yeah, while there is no official news from NCDOT about the NC 68-US 220 Connector, I was told it should be finished by this Saturday, if not at least the first week of May. I will keep an eye.

bob7374

I have posted what could be the last photos before opening of the I-73 segment between NC 68 and US 220, such as this at the future NC 68 North interchange:

sent to me by Strider. Most of the photos are on my I-73 Segment 3 page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg3.html#photos

while two are on the Segment 4 page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg4.html#photos

Hopefully, the road will open some time this upcoming week.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Strider on April 26, 2017, 01:33:14 PM
Good question. I guess we will find out on April 29th. Yeah, while there is no official news from NCDOT about the NC 68-US 220 Connector, I was told it should be finished by this Saturday, if not at least the first week of May. I will keep an eye.
I'm sure no work was done during the heavy rain last Monday and Tuesday, so it's no surprise that the opening would be delayed a few days into next week.

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 30, 2017, 07:00:14 PM
Quote from: Strider on April 26, 2017, 01:33:14 PM
I'm sure no work was done during the heavy rain last Monday and Tuesday, so it's no surprise that the opening would be delayed a few days into next week.

Seems like you are correct. (smile). The I-73 Connector between NC 68 and US 220 is delayed until Mid-May due to rain delay.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/i--connector-between-n-c-delayed-until-mid-may/article_14e2c91c-b811-5a44-b5a4-a40a97db01de.html

Henry

FWIW, I-73 is already an epic fail because all the other states further north pulled out of the grand plans for it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Strider

Quote from: Henry on May 02, 2017, 09:34:43 AM
FWIW, I-73 is already an epic fail because all the other states further north pulled out of the grand plans for it.

Epic Fail? You must have not catch on what's going on out there. Only Ohio and Michigan pulled out.

The Ghostbuster

It seems unlikely West Virginia will construct its portion to Interstate Standards. Whether it will ever enter Virginia is up in the air. Ditto for South Carolina.

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2017, 06:51:13 PM
It seems unlikely West Virginia will construct its portion to Interstate Standards. Whether it will ever enter Virginia is up in the air. Ditto for South Carolina.

It will enter Virginia and South Carolina some day. It just won't go to Ohio or Michigan. Maybe not West Virginia.

PColumbus73

If I-73 can be built from South Carolina to Virginia, then I think it won't be a waste. I think that I-73 could help provide a western bypass of I-95 and the Northeast Corridor. Then someone can use I-73 to cut over to I-81 (then to I-78), and vice-versa.

wdcrft63

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 04, 2017, 04:25:12 PM
If I-73 can be built from South Carolina to Virginia, then I think it won't be a waste. I think that I-73 could help provide a western bypass of I-95 and the Northeast Corridor. Then someone can use I-73 to cut over to I-81 (then to I-78), and vice-versa.
That's right; lots of people in North (and South) Carolina do this, and it's one of the reasons NC was so interested in this route.

sparker

If I-77 weren't a parallel route several dozen miles to the west, you might have a very compelling point.  But it wouldn't hurt to have a "backup" corridor that would actually save about 20 miles (due to the trajectory differential between I-81 and I-85).  The problem lies with both VA and SC:  whereas NC (and their myriad interest groups) looks for reasons to deploy new Interstates (glass half full approach), the other two states seem to utilize the opposite approach (glass half empty) -- SC because of recurring fiscal issues, and VA due to rural facilities being far down the priority list.  We'll just have to see how long I-73 stays in "suspended animation"!

PColumbus73

Quote from: sparker on May 04, 2017, 06:31:23 PM

If I-77 weren't a parallel route several dozen miles to the west, you might have a very compelling point.  But it wouldn't hurt to have a "backup" corridor that would actually save about 20 miles (due to the trajectory differential between I-81 and I-85).  The problem lies with both VA and SC:  whereas NC (and their myriad interest groups) looks for reasons to deploy new Interstates (glass half full approach), the other two states seem to utilize the opposite approach (glass half empty) -- SC because of recurring fiscal issues, and VA due to rural facilities being far down the priority list.  We'll just have to see how long I-73 stays in "suspended animation"!

I think I-73 will have more of a convenience appeal than I-77. I agree that I-77 is a perfectly good route to use, being able to bypass the Charlotte metro area and that climb at Fancy Gap, VA could be considered a plus for someone going up the coast to DC or New York. I-77 would still be the way to go headed to the Midwest.

Currently, the South Carolina State Legislature is fighting over a roads bill right now, if it passes, hopefully there will be progress for I-73.

wdcrft63

I'm not sure where you get the 20 miles figure.
Greensboro to Roanoke via Future I-73: about 100 miles
Greensboro to Roanoke via I-40/I-77/I-81: 226 miles
That's a substantial saving.

NE2

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 05, 2017, 06:26:54 PM
He's talking about it as a bypass to I-95, dummy. I could name any two cities without a direct Interstate connection and claim they need one, giving figures like yours. For example:
Macon to Augusta via Fall Line Freeway: 121 miles
Macon to Augusta via I-75/I-675/I-285/I-20: 215 miles
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Strider

Quote from: NE2 on May 05, 2017, 06:53:31 PM
He's talking about it as a bypass to I-95, dummy. I could name any two cities without a direct Interstate connection and claim they need one, giving figures like yours. For example:
Macon to Augusta via Fall Line Freeway: 121 miles
Macon to Augusta via I-75/I-675/I-285/I-20: 215 miles

It would still be an easy useful bypass for I-95 by avoiding Richmond, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and possibly NYC metro.

sparker

I was thinking more of Charlotte as a starting point than Greensboro.  Even though US 220's something of a slog between Martinsville and Roanoke (especially when there's a lot of truck traffic), I can't imagine a Greensboro to Roanoke routing going all the way west to I-77 and then back again on I-81; a big fat squared-off "C"-shaped route! 

I was, more or less, looking at the differences between I-77 and the planned I-73 in terms of providing alternative northern (at least north as far as I-81) egress points for both I-95 and I-85. 

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on May 06, 2017, 03:09:44 PM

I was thinking more of Charlotte as a starting point than Greensboro.  Even though US 220's something of a slog between Martinsville and Roanoke (especially when there's a lot of truck traffic), I can't imagine a Greensboro to Roanoke routing going all the way west to I-77 and then back again on I-81; a big fat squared-off "C"-shaped route! 

I was, more or less, looking at the differences between I-77 and the planned I-73 in terms of providing alternative northern (at least north as far as I-81) egress points for both I-95 and I-85.
A more realistic example: Greensboro to Roanoke via I-40/US 52 (Future I-74)/I-77/I-81 is almost exactly 150 miles, 50 miles longer than the direct route along I-73/US 220. So for those of us who live in the RDU Triangle area, Future I-73 saves 50 miles over a route using I-77.

dvferyance

Quote from: Strider on May 03, 2017, 03:06:05 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2017, 06:51:13 PM

It will enter Virginia and South Carolina some day. It just won't go to Ohio or Michigan. Maybe not West Virginia.
I would like to see I-74 extended east across OH-32 down US-23 to US-52 to I-64 in Huntington. I would end it there though the WV portion is not needed. Portions of OH-32 and US-52 are already freeway like.

sparker

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 06, 2017, 06:50:48 PM
A more realistic example: Greensboro to Roanoke via I-40/US 52 (Future I-74)/I-77/I-81 is almost exactly 150 miles, 50 miles longer than the direct route along I-73/US 220. So for those of us who live in the RDU Triangle area, Future I-73 saves 50 miles over a route using I-77.

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone (already) in Greensboro would ever even consider traipsing over to I-77 to get to Roanoke, freeway facility or not.  My mention of I-77 is relevant only to folks along any N-S (and yes, I'm including I-85 in this "family" regardless of actual trajectory) Interstate route: 77,85,95, etc. -- with the notable exception of those along either I-73 or the far southeastern reaches of I-74 (Rockingham eastward).  From there, the planned I-73 would, obviously, be advantageous; I-77 would be way, way out of the way!!!  But for travelers heading north from most of SC and points to the south (excepting Myrtle Beach - Florence) I-77 is quite adequate; even more so now that if central Charlotte is congested, the recently completed I-485 loop is available as an alternative.  And, like I've iterated previously, a completed I-73 to Roanoke would save some mileage -- although I originally calculated the 20-mile saving based on taking US 220 through Greensboro (a direct if "sloggy" routing); the bit of backtracking and convolutions of the I-73 alignment in the NW area of Greensboro actually reduces that difference -- when that U.C. portion of I-73 is opened to traffic -- to only about 8 miles and change:  this was calculated from the I-77/85 junction north of Charlotte to the I-81/581 junction north of downtown Roanoke.  That's a pretty negligible difference -- and even that is likely rendered moot by the fact that once out of Charlotte and environs, a I-77/81 routing doesn't have to pass through any metro areas posing potential congestion issues -- while a I-85/I-73 route slithers through Greensboro like a snake on acid! 

If one is in NC along or east of the I-73 corridor, or in the north SC coastal area then yes, I-73 would provide a more efficient way to get to Roanoke and/or I-81; otherwise, I-77 is more than adequate for that purpose. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.