News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on_wisconsin

crappy mockup of the likely future (minus cardinal directions):

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Jordanah1

if say US41 became unsigned along I-XX, what would happen to the buisiness/alternate US41's? would they remain, become buisiness/alternate I-XX, or even be removed entirely? and if they did sign it I41 and US41, would the current buisiness/alernate routes be signed as both aswell?
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

mgk920

Quote from: Jordanah1 on August 14, 2012, 12:10:51 AM
if say US41 became unsigned along I-XX, what would happen to the buisiness/alternate US41's? would they remain, become buisiness/alternate I-XX, or even be removed entirely? and if they did sign it I41 and US41, would the current buisiness/alernate routes be signed as both aswell?

There are no 'BR US 41's left, they've all been decommissioned.

Mike

Jordanah1

ok, but part of my question is still left unanswered, what happens to the alt US 41's? are they decommissioned with the unsigning of US 41, are they replaced or cosigned with alt I-XX? what happens, i was thinking this recently, because i have been driving jackson/oregon st. in oshkosh alot recently, and see the alt US 41 signs, and was wondering what would happen to them.

mgk920

They'd likely be resigned like the main highway itself.  I don't believe that AASTHO has to directly approve every 'ALT' route.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 13, 2012, 10:26:05 PM
Worse, they will likely still keep US-41 running through Milwaukee and downtown instead of simply extending WI-175 to the Stadium interchange....or further south until WI-59.

I was told at a PIM that WisDOT intends to reroute the US 41 designation to an all freeway alignment through metro Milwaukee along with the new interstate to follow I-894 and the Zoo Freeway.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hobsini2

Quote from: Jordanah1 on August 14, 2012, 11:34:32 AM
ok, but part of my question is still left unanswered, what happens to the alt US 41's? are they decommissioned with the unsigning of US 41, are they replaced or cosigned with alt I-XX? what happens, i was thinking this recently, because i have been driving jackson/oregon st. in oshkosh alot recently, and see the alt US 41 signs, and was wondering what would happen to them.
Actually I think that the Alt 41 signs are not a real route like Bus 42 used to be. I have see those signs on 44, 21, and 76. If it was a real route, one of those highways would have been out of the loop. I think it is more like how there are the Alt I-39 north of Madison or Alt I-43 near Beloit.  They are just a guide to get back to the highway if there was something causing the need for a detour off the main line.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

The definition of Alts in Wisconsin are routes recommended for travel in case the main highway is closed/jammed/etc.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hobsini2

Quote from: Master son on August 15, 2012, 07:51:33 PM
The definition of Alts in Wisconsin are routes recommended for travel in case the main highway is closed/jammed/etc.
That's what i thought.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Cam4rd98

I read online that U.S. 41 might become interstate 41 in 2014 running parrallel with interstate 43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay

source: http://www.insightonbusiness.com/5270/u-s-highway-41-might-become-interstate-by-2014/

SSOWorld

Quote from: Cam4rd98 on August 18, 2012, 09:50:00 AM
I read online that U.S. 41 is supposed to become interstate 41 in 2014 running parrallel with interstate 43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay
Care to share the source?  I'm hesitant to believe you unless it was posted on the WisDOT website.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: Cam4rd98 on August 18, 2012, 09:50:00 AM
I read online that U.S. 41 is supposed to become interstate 41 in 2014 running parrallel with interstate 43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay
Just did a quick search of the WisDOT site as well as several newspapers in eastern WI and couldn't find anything relevant to the name of the freeway.  :-/
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mgk920

I think that he's just a slightly over-anxious newbie.

Mike

Fox 11 News

Full freeway closure of US 41 added for August 28 in Brown County

(Green Bay) The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region is announcing a full freeway closure of US 41, between Lineville Road and Velp Avenue, has been scheduled for Tuesday, August 28, during the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. In addition, the northbound US 41 on-ramp from Velp Avenue and southbound US 41 on-ramp from Lineville Road will also be closed. The closures are needed for demolition of the Lakeview Drive bridge over US 41.

Details of traffic impacts for Tuesday, August 28:
Complete closure of north and southbound US 41, between Lineville Road and Velp Avenue, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Northbound US 41 on-ramp from Velp Avenue and southbound US 41 on-ramp from Lineville Road closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Northbound I-43 to northbound US 41 ramp closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Detour routes around the construction:
Northbound US 41 traffic will be detoured onto Velp Avenue to eastbound Lineville Road. 
The detour route for southbound US 41 motorists will be westbound Lineville Road to Velp Avenue,  Velp Avenue south to US 41.
Northbound US 41 traffic wanting to enter southbound I-43 will use Velp Avenue.
Northbound I-43 traffic wanting to enter northbound US 41 will exit I-43 to southbound US 41, continue to Velp Avenue, follow Velp Avenue north to Lineville Road, travel east on Lineville Road to US 41.   

All lane restrictions are weather dependent and subject to change.

Jordanah1

the southbound ramps of the US 41 WIS 21 interchange are set to open at 4pm on august 30th. http://www.us41wisconsin.gov/flex/News+US+41+Winnebago+21+southbound+ramps+opening.932

Fox 11 News

mukade

Why can't this type of thing be funded by local communities and corporations? I think it is nice, but am not a fan of DOTs spending money on it. Upkeep adds even more cost over time.

gbgoose

Curious - when would the DOT update the us41.gov site with construction schedules for 2013?  I'd like to have an idea of the schedule in Green Bay next year aside of Hwy 29, Lombardi and De Pere being completed around June.

hobsini2

Quote from: mukade on September 20, 2012, 09:47:33 AM
Why can't this type of thing be funded by local communities and corporations? I think it is nice, but am not a fan of DOTs spending money on it. Upkeep adds even more cost over time.
The problem that I can see with having the road project separate from the landscaping is that if the DOT just lays sod and let's the local government plant the flora, you would be digging up the sod again to plant and then re-sod it. It is best if it is all done at once. Yes the local governments should contribute to paying for the landscaping but it should be done at one time.

on_wisconsin

http://www.livestream.com/newchannel/popoutplayer?channel=postcrescent&clip=pla_85d353e8-a0cf-442d-9728-a7408c80ab94&time=3
After watching this interview with WisDOT, I'm starting to get concerned that this conversion might get a 3dI (i.e. pointless) designation.  :pan:

SEWIGuy

I didn't get the impression from that video at all.  They are just stating what they have stated publicly before.  I think both of the DOT officials were getting a little annoyed with the multiple questions about the number however....

And skip ahead to about 7:30 if you want to hear the route numbering discussion.

Henry

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 13, 2012, 10:38:16 PM
crappy mockup of the likely future (minus cardinal directions):

Deja vu...if you've seen I-74 and US 74 together, that is.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

gbgoose

There is an article in the Appleton Post-Crescent today that the WisDOT has submitted I-41 as the preferred number for the unveiling.  Others considered are I-55 and I-57.

If you are past the 'free' number of articles for the month, you may not be able to see this until the 30-days is recycled.
http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20121017/APC03/310170435/US-41-new-interstate-number-revealed-next-month?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

I'm curious why Illinois blocked the I-55 or I-57 initial wish from Wisconsin.  Money?  Hassle of signage and re-routing? 

Fox 11 News

Another version of the story:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/green_bay/interstate-name-for-highway-41-coming-soon

DOT told Fox 11 that it submitted just 41. If that's rejected then, then I47, I643 and I594 would be part of talks - but right now they submitted only I-41.

hbelkins

Quote from: gbgoose on October 17, 2012, 06:11:46 PM
I'm curious why Illinois blocked the I-55 or I-57 initial wish from Wisconsin.  Money?  Hassle of signage and re-routing?

Honestly, why should Illinois have to spend the money to install new signage for something that would not benefit them in any way, when Wisconsin will gain the same benefit no matter what interstate route number is posted on the new road?

That's why I think this "it has to be a two-digit number" argument is totally foolish. An interstate is an interstate, if it's I-xx or I-xxx.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.