News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What are all of the control cities on Interstates in your state?

Started by bassoon1986, March 22, 2012, 05:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 26, 2012, 01:37:25 AM
As for Opelousas and Bay St. Louis, I really consider these to be leftovers that never got replaced once interstates were completed. Bay St. Louis was a control city because I-10 stopped at Mississippi's exit 2 (MS 607) defaulting travelers southward to US 90. Opelousas has gotta be from 49's early days when it was only 20 miles long from Lafayette to Opelousas. Although, there is one sign in Downtown Alexandria on I-49 Southbound at the Pineville Expwy (US 167/LA 28) exit that says Lafayette rather than Opelousas. That is also the newest section of completed 49 so far.

Agreed. You can apply the same logic to Pascagoula being a control city on I-10 from Mobile: I-10 from the Gautier exit to Franklin Creek Road wasn't completed until the early 80s due to the bridges over the Pascagoula and Escatawpa rivers, so Pascagoula was used westbound from Mobile. Not sure what it was from Biloxi eastbound.

achilles765

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 28, 2012, 12:08:57 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on March 27, 2012, 04:52:14 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 25, 2012, 03:37:15 PM
How come LA broke the rule of their own for signing local cities as control points like PA does on their interstates in Shreveport?  Dallas is used as control city for I-20 WB instead of one of the intermediate points like Monroe is used going east from there.  Bay St. Louis is used on I-10 from all interchanges in Slidell, LA including I-12 and I-59, etc.  Then Opelousas is used on I-49 from Lafayette northward instead of Alexandria which gives many of us indigestion cause the way the cookie crumbles at that location.

Louisiana did not follow suit here and acted like most states do in one instance.
I always found Opelousas to be a strange chocie of control city.  At least other small control cities are highway junctions or something, like Hammond (Ih 12 and IH 55), Slidell (IH 10, IH 12, and IH59.)Monroe and Alexandria are fairly large enough cities, but Opelousas? 
The reason for Opelousas instead of Alexandria is a relic of the days when I 49 did not go to Alexandria.  With the improvements to it though, Alexandria should replace opelousas. 

Sorry, but Opelousas is more than legit as an I-49 control city for the following reasons:

It is the parish seat for St. Landry Parish.
It is the largest city between Lafayette and Alexandria.
It serves as a transition point for traffic wanting to use US 190 to/from Baton Rouge without crossing the Atchafalaya Basin.

Also, neither I-12 nor I-55 travel directly through Hammond to begin with, but due to its importance as a junction between I-12 and I-55, I would have no problem with Hammond as a secondary control city.

And..I'd say that even if I didn't live in Opelousas, too.

Anthony

Haha, good points.  I guess I support the use of Hammond (and Slidell for that matter) because that's the area in which I grew up.  I could live with seeing it as a secondary.  After all, at IH 12's eastern end, when heading west the BGS are signed "Interstate 12 West: Hammond  Baton Rouge."
Finally, I-55 skirts the western edge of Hammond, but Interstate 12 cuts through the southern boundary.  If I remember correctly from when I worked around that area, the city limits extend down to the US 51/ IH 55 interchange.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

agentsteel53

in Mobile, AL, the control cities for the south end of I-65 are "Florida" and "Mississippi".  this is a great improvement over the old "Pensacola" and "Pascagoula".  I remember I always had a hard time parsing two very similar-looking city names at speed, especially being from out of the region and having no instinctive connection to either.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Someone posted a partial list for New York. I recall I-81 northbound listing Syracuse, Watertown, and Canada (how's that for an unspecific control "city"?); southbound listed Watertown, Syracuse, and Binghamton. Don't recall whether there were any signs south of Binghamton listing that city (northbound) or Scranton (southbound).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Yes, Scranton is the control city for I-81 south of Binghamton, and Binghamton is used north of Scranton.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

For years Cortland, NY was used as control city on I-81 south of Syracuse and Binghamton was only used from Homer southward.  Yet Syracuse was always used for the entire distance from Binghamton and Syracuse. 

Further on south, in PA, Carlisle is used as control city on I-81 from the MD Line to it instead of Harrisburg the larger city and State Capital.  Carlisle is a suburb of Harrisburg and you wonder why PennDOT would choose a smaller city over the large one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 08, 2012, 06:04:31 PM

I've never heard of the city of "65 mph".  is it bigger than Delaware Water Gap?

Bigger than Delaware Water Gap, smaller than Thru Traffic.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

iowahighways

Quote from: pianocello on March 22, 2012, 06:00:48 PM
Iowa (eastern half):
I-80: Chicago, Iowa City, Davenport, Des Moines, more farther west
...Council Bluffs, Omaha

I-280: Des Moines, Moline, Rock Island
I-74: Davenport, Bettendorf (I think the only control cities are at the I-80 interchange)
I-380: Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Iowa City
I-29: Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Council Bluffs, Kansas City

I-35: Minneapolis, Des Moines, Kansas City
*Ames, Mason City, and St. Paul sometimes make distance signs, and Mason City is the control city at the US 20 interchange instead of Minneapolis.

I-235: West Des Moines and Des Moines on I-35/80, but none on the freeway itself

I-680: North Omaha, Des Moines
*The BGS along I-80 at the east end list North Omaha and Sioux City, since I-680 serves as a shortcut from I-80 to northbound I-29.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

roadman65

How come Plymouth Meeting is used for I-476 in Chester, PA on I-95?  Who is going to go there anyway?  Plus, you have Allentown or Scranton that are now along I-476 and are major PA cities that at least people heard of and are big in this particular commonwealth.

Sheryl Crowe

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mukade on March 25, 2012, 10:27:39 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 23, 2012, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on March 22, 2012, 10:42:55 PM
For Indiana:

I-80: Chicago, Toledo/Ohio
I-94: Chicago, Detroit

Detroit is the Eastbound control city for the I-80/94 multiplex, so I guess technically Detroit is a control city for I-80 also (even though I-80 doesn't go there).

No doubt that it is a control city on the Borman, but I think most of the signs have both Detroit and Toledo to account for the two routes. Some signs show Detroit only so that would be technically true. By the same logic, I-465 would then have Cincinnati and Peoria as control cities as would where I-65 and I-70 overlap.

Regarding that: There's only one interchange where Toledo is added to Detroit for the I-80/94 Eastbound multiplex, and that is at the I-65 interchange. All other ramps west of I-65 in Indiana only mention Detroit on I-80/94 East.

The reason for this is because on I-65, control "cities" for I-80/94 were Chicago/Illinois (west) and Ohio/Michigan (east). In 1997, INDOT did a massive sign makeover in Lake County, and the control cities were changed; I-80/94 west mentions Chicago only (no Illinois), and I-80/94 east was given Toledo/Detroit.

As an aside: years before the transfer of power of the Indiana Toll Road, INDOT did another sign makeover, and the sign is still there to this day. An overhead trialblazer sign at the I-65 (exit 17) interchange reads, "I-90 East to East I-80/94: Toledo OH." This is the only instance on the Eastbound Toll Road where Toledo is mentioned as a control city. All other mentions of Toledo in Indiana are on distance guide signs, the first of which is right after aforementioned interchange.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

mukade

Toledo is also posted at the Central Avenue interchange although I suppose that is technically part of the I-65 ramp. Regardless, I-65 proper and the Central Avenue exit are the newest parts of the Borman so I would suspect Toledo will be listed on any new signs - like if SR 51 ever was upgraded.

On I-65 at the Toll Road don't the signs have Illinois and and Ohio?

Also, didn't I-65 at the Borman use to have at least one "Illinois Wisconsin" sign?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mukade on June 02, 2012, 09:29:53 PM
Toledo is also posted at the Central Avenue interchange although I suppose that is technically part of the I-65 ramp. Regardless, I-65 proper and the Central Avenue exit are the newest parts of the Borman so I would suspect Toledo will be listed on any new signs - like if SR 51 ever was upgraded.

On I-65 at the Toll Road don't the signs have Illinois and and Ohio?

Also, didn't I-65 at the Borman use to have at least one "Illinois Wisconsin" sign?

You are right; those pull-through signs on the C/D ramp is mainly for traffic entering from I-65. You are also right about the control states for the Toll Road from I-65; they're designated as Illinois and Ohio, though on the ramp itself, I-90 west is designated as Chicago.

As for the Illinois/Wisconsin sign, you are partially right; before the 2007 reconstruction, there was a auxiliary information sign which said, "To Wisconsin via I-94 West, Exit 259A." It was on I-65 northbound right before the lanes split apart for the I-80/94 westbound departure. As you implied, it no longer stands.

As for the Indiana 51 interchange, the reason those roads have no control cities is because of the connection to the Toll Road; it would be confusing to the average driver to know there are technically two roads that lead to Chicago, with one of them branching from the I-80/94 East ramp. Also, if anyone were to use Indiana 51 to stop for gas and were heading for Des Moines (the control city for I-80 west from the westbound Toll Road), it would be baffling for those drivers to re-enter I-80 with Chicago given as a control city for I-94. I know that's the case for ramps west of that area, but the linkage to the Toll Road throws everything out of whack. There is no clear-cut solution to this problem; this interchange justifies the need for a road atlas. :)

EDIT: You could designate I-80/94 West as "Des Moines/Chicago" and I-80/94 East (I-90) as "Toll Road/Detroit," but I will go into greater detail on the "Fictional Highways" board, if it is applicable.

mukade

Because of the confusing situation at SR 51, I would conclude the opposite and say they need control cities. Is there any plan to upgrade this last section of the Borman and that interchange? At least the pavement needs to be replaced on the Borman.

I remember some time ago, INDOT was studying an extension of SR 51 to US 12 to be a better route to the National Lakeshore (specifically West Beach). Is that still alive?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mukade on June 02, 2012, 10:52:53 PM
Because of the confusing situation at SR 51, I would conclude the opposite and say they need control cities. Is there any plan to upgrade this last section of the Borman and that interchange? At least the pavement needs to be replaced on the Borman.

I remember some time ago, INDOT was studying an extension of SR 51 to US 12 to be a better route to the National Lakeshore (specifically West Beach). Is that still alive?

I remember a newspaper article saying briefly that there was a plan in the works to reconstruct the Borman-Ripley interchange, but the funds from the Major Moves initiative were already exhausted. I'm sure they have something for it later down the pipeline, but nothing in the immediate future. It needs it; the cloverleaf system there is severely congested and outdated, especially since Ripley is a truck haven. Worse, that ramp system is shared with the Toll Road commission; THAT section needs serious repair and repainting (look at the high point of the triple-stack at Toll Road exit 21; that bridge is decrepit.).

The pavement on the Borman was replaced in 2008; it's still in excellent driving condition to this day (I just drove it yesterday).

If you can provide me a link or anything that you have that showed INDOT studying an Indiana 51 extension to U.S. 12, I'd love to see it. I personally have not heard anything about the Ripley Extension; I could see it being a good idea, but only if it's a two-lane road and only passenger vehicles are allowed. It seems to me that officials find the current link between West Beach and the expressway (via U.S. 20 and County Line Road) viable...for now.

mukade

All the Borman pavement except from east of Central to the Toll Road was replaced. That one section does not have good pavement.

The 51 extension proposal was in the late 80s or 90s. It made sense, but the question was whether or not the National Park Service would make the land available.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mukade on June 02, 2012, 11:41:30 PM
All the Borman pavement except from east of Central to the Toll Road was replaced. That one section does not have good pavement.

The 51 extension proposal was in the late 80s or 90s. It made sense, but the question was whether or not the National Park Service would make the land available.

I think you mean concrete replacement; the section between Clay Street and the Porter Co. Line was replaced with asphalt...not the best, but it's held up well, in my opinion. As for the 51 extension, I always saw it in my head, but I figured the difficulty lied in whether the National Park Service was willing to play ball.

roadman65

Hey is South Dakota ever gonna use control cities at all of its interstate junctions?  I noticed, when I was there back in 01, that all of the junctions, excluding the I-90 & I-190 interchange, had no cities at all.

On google street view I did see that finally at its one and only major interstate junction (I-29 and I-90) signs have been changed and Rapid City/ Albert Lea are used on I-29 for I-90 as well as Fargo/ Sioux City are used for I-29 on I-90.  However, there is no control points still at the I-90 & I-229 interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2012, 09:36:03 PM
How come Plymouth Meeting is used for I-476 in Chester, PA on I-95?  Who is going to go there anyway?  Plus, you have Allentown or Scranton that are now along I-476 and are major PA cities that at least people heard of and are big in this particular commonwealth.
At the time, PennDOT used those control cities for the Blue Route because those were the nearest locales to the respective termini of I-476... prior to it being connected and designated along the Turnpike NE Extension. 

It is worth noting that the original signage for I-476 North, prior to the entire road fully opening in 1991 had Allentown on one or two of its signs but the signs were either taken down or had Plymouth Meeting replaced (in non-button-copy form) on the sign boards.  One old sign along Matson Ford Road still has a blank space for where Allentown (in button-copy lettering) was supposed to go.

Examples of such are shown in these vintage 1978 photos:

http://www.pennways.com/I476_PA_WCI.html
In the 2nd photo, the pull-through sign for I-476 North indeed reads as 476 NORTH Allentown.  The sign was taken down in 1991.  At present, only the overhead sign bridge structure remains.

Note: the NORTH 476 on the signboard in the 3rd photo was likely originally planned to read as:
476 NORTH
Allentown

(Left Arrow angled at 45 degrees)

The sign was replaced with the current horizontally-laid out 476 NORTH Plymouth Meeting either when the Schuylkill Expressway was overhauled in the mid-80s or when the southern leg opened in 1991.

Personally, PennDOT should've used 2 control cities for the I-476 Blue Route signs: Plymouth Mtg. - Allentown for northbound, Chester - Wilmington for southbound.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

nwi_navigator_1181

As an addendum:

On Cline Avenue (Indiana 912), the overhead signs for I-80/94 East (Detroit) have an I-65 shield tacked on, but only at the ramps themselves, and not on the advance signs.

Also, I know someone mentioned it already, but I-355 North at I-80 had the more vague "Northwest Suburbs" replaced with the more specific "Rockford," a result of the recently completed makeover on I-80. I kinda see where they were going with this, but "Schaumburg" or "Naperville/Aurora" would be a touch more fitting, especially when the free and less congested I-39 sits 60 miles away.

I'd love for anyone to debate this with me; I am just very curious about it.

hobsini2

I noticed Wisconsin has not been done yet. These are from memory so I may be wrong with a couple.  Main control cities are in bold.

I-39: Chicago, Janesville (SB only), Madison, Portage, Stevens Point, Wausau, Merrill (Rockford does not show up until IL Rt 75)
I-43: Beloit, Milwaukee, Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Green Bay, Marinette/Iron Mountain via 41/141 (this is on the Bayport Dr and E Shore Dr/Webster Ave entrance ramps)
I-90: Albert Lea, La Crosse, Tomah, Wisconsin Dells, Portage, Madison, Janesville (EB only), Chicago
I-94: St Paul, Eau Claire, Tomah, Wisconsin Dells, Portage, Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago
I-894: Chicago, Madison/Fond du Lac
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

KEVIN_224

CONNECTICUT:

I-84 West in Danbury is signed as NY State.
I-84 East from Hartford is signed eastward as Boston.
I-384 East for its whole length is signed eastward as Providence.

mukade

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on June 27, 2012, 12:18:45 AM
On Cline Avenue (Indiana 912), the overhead signs for I-80/94 East (Detroit) have an I-65 shield tacked on, but only at the ramps themselves, and not on the advance signs.

When did that happen? I assume they say "TO" I-65, right? Do you have pictures?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mukade on June 27, 2012, 11:00:50 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on June 27, 2012, 12:18:45 AM

When did that happen? I assume they say "TO" I-65, right? Do you have pictures?

I will provide a picture this weekend, for I am heading out to Joliet for work. I stumbled upon it as I was coming back from my first weekend in Joliet.

I don't know when it happened exactly, but it was just weird. It seriously looked like the I-65 shield was just tacked on right beside "Detroit." I'm sure it was done under the assumption that drivers would fill in the word "TO," which isn't even there!

nwi_navigator_1181

As promised, here's what I saw earlier today:

This is the sign as seen by traffic driving on Northbound Cline Avenue. This is so tacked on; no other sign in the interchange system mentions I-65, except maybe the similar signage on the southbound ramps (which I did not attempt due to the high speed nature of the area).

mukade

That is just weird. That is not an inadvertant change, either. The one thing it does show is if US 41 in Wisconsin were to become I-65 by some miracle, INDOT could ditch the US 6 shield (just like is done in Indy) and put the I-65 shield where it is instead. Not much work at all.

Anyway, it is an interesting error.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.