News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic Lights On The Trans Canada (East)

Started by ghYHZ, June 21, 2012, 06:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

When the Antigonish By-pass opens this summer........it will be 1735 km between traffic lights on TCH ON17 at Renfrew ON and Bras d'Or NS. The three set of lights in Antigonish will no longer be on the 104. Here's Post Rd/Market St. & Lochaber Rd/Trunk 7.......and there's another set at Church St.

East of Bras d'Or NS, there's a light at Florence just before the Ferry but I don't recall any lights left across Newfoundland. The TCH on PEI has lights through Charlottetown and there's one other set in NS at the swing-span over the canal in the Canso Causeway.

(......and I'm assuming the lights at White Lake Rd in Arnprior ON are gone)

aridawn

Quote from: ghYHZ on June 21, 2012, 06:08:07 AM

You are correct there are no lights at White Lake Rd in Arnprior.  They are currently reconstructing the Old ON-17 bridge across the Mississippi River (new south bound lanes of ON-417) as well as doing finishing touches to the travel lanes and will be open by summers end.   The next set of lights west of arnprior are in the Town of Cobben.  These lights will remain on the road even after the Cobben Bypass is completed.  Not sure on the timeline as this is still in the planning phase. An EA (Environmental Assessment) is currently underway as well.

Sykotyk

Quote from: aridawn on June 21, 2012, 12:20:23 PM
Quote from: ghYHZ on June 21, 2012, 06:08:07 AM

You are correct there are no lights at White Lake Rd in Arnprior.  They are currently reconstructing the Old ON-17 bridge across the Mississippi River (new south bound lanes of ON-417) as well as doing finishing touches to the travel lanes and will be open by summers end.   The next set of lights west of arnprior are in the Town of Cobben.  These lights will remain on the road even after the Cobben Bypass is completed.  Not sure on the timeline as this is still in the planning phase. An EA (Environmental Assessment) is currently underway as well.

Certain you mean "Mississauga River"

As for Antigonish, my wife and I drove up there when we were still dating years ago to Sydney/Glace Bay. Thought it was interesting how Canada's major road had exits, etc, but still had lights and two-lanes for stretches. Broke down crossing Canso Causeway during a storm (large waves splashing over road and we ran into a small boulder that smashed the line carrying the power steering fluid along the frame rail). Luckily it was a quick fix the next morning. But, I'll always remember that town.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Sykotyk on June 22, 2012, 01:04:45 AM
Certain you mean "Mississauga River"

............Broke down crossing Canso Causeway during a storm (large waves splashing over road and we ran into a small boulder that smashed the line carrying the power steering fluid along the frame rail). Luckily it was a quick fix the next morning. But, I'll always remember that town.

It  IS  the Mississippi........

http://www.ogwa-hydrog.ca/en/taxonomy/term/80

And this photo might be of interest......storm surge over the Causeway after a hurricane last fall!

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2011/10/06/pe-li-storm-canso-causeway.jpg

AsphaltPlanet

The river in Arnprior is actually the Madawaska River:

http://goo.gl/maps/G5bx

The Mississippi River was crossed with the 2004 extension that first brought the 417 to Arnprior:

http://goo.gl/maps/rpCT

And ghYHZ is correct, there are two traffic signals in Renfrew before the signal in Cobden.

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Why would the duplicate the name Mississippi given that there's a much more famous Mississippi River that most people would confuse it for?  This whole discussion I though someone had horribly messed up geography because the Mississippi I know runs from the Gulf of Mexico to rural Minnesota.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bickendan

You mean from rural Minnesota to the Gulf.

As for duplicating names, it happens more than you think, not just with cities (Paris and London, Ontario; Paris, France; London, England) or with creeks (at least two instances of Bear and Rock Creeks in Oregon that I'm aware of). Oregon has two John Day Rivers, one in central Oregon, the other just east of Astoria.
There are at least two Rio Grandes. *shrug*

webfil

Mississippi means «great river» in Ojibwé. This could apply to a bunch of rivers.

The one located in Ontario could also possibly be named «river with the paintings» in Algonquin, referring to the paintings in the caves at Lake Bon Echo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.