News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Chicagoland Strategic Regional Arterial Reports

Started by Revive 755, January 06, 2012, 11:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

http://www.dot.state.il.us/D1SRAReports.htm

Highlights from some of the reports

* The Lake Shore Drive/Stony Island reports have several briefly mentioned alternatives that would have brought more of corridor up to freeway grade.

* The report for IL 59 had a diamond interchange planned for IL 59 at IL 72, and ROW protection for an interchange at 75th Street.  The report also seems to be contradicted the SRA map since it mentions the Elgin - O' Hare being planned to connect with the US 20 bypass of Elgin and the Fox Valley Freeway being a possible future facility.

* The report for US 41 between IL 120 and I-94/Edens Spur indicates that a planned interchange with IL 137 with a relocation of US 41 was dropped around 1994, however the report recommends considering an interchange at IL 137 in the post-2010 time frame.  The report also suggested eliminated the jughandles along US 41 at IL 22 and West Park Avenue.  The cloverleaf at Deerfield Road would be modified into either a diamond or partial cloverleaf.

* The report for the Willow/Palatine Road corridor recommended a full freeway design between IL 53 and I-294 after 2010.

kphoger

I totally wish the Route 59 / 75th Street junction were an interchange.  A simple overpass with connectors would be fine, IMO.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on January 07, 2012, 09:54:44 AM
I totally wish the Route 59 / 75th Street junction were an interchange.  A simple overpass with connectors would be fine, IMO.

IL-59 needs to be a quasi-freeway between there and North Aurora Road.  Over or under-passes at Oswego Road (US-34), the mall entrances, and New York Street.  It also needs another lane under the BNSF viaduct (a major choke point).  Of course, it would help if Aurora had more ways to cross the BNSF tracks between IL-59 and Farnsworth Avenue other than Eola Road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mukade

Quote from: Brandon on January 07, 2012, 10:02:57 AM

IL-59 needs to be a quasi-freeway between there and North Aurora Road.  Over or under-passes at Oswego Road (US-34), the mall entrances, and New York Street.  It also needs another lane under the BNSF viaduct (a major choke point).  Of course, it would help if Aurora had more ways to cross the BNSF tracks between IL-59 and Farnsworth Avenue other than Eola Road.

Widening Ill. 59 would be very, very expensive, and the construction would be a nightmare for the economy in that region. The time to have done that would have been around 1980 (probably 1975). In Carmel/Westfield Indiana, they are making US 31 a freeway around an existing large shopping area there, and that will cost probably $100M despite it being a much smaller area than the Fox Valley area. I can't imagine how much a similar improvement of Ill. 59 would cost.,

BTW, it is bad north of N. Aurora Road all the way to I-88 at least. Diehl Rd. can be a nightmare unless some improvement has been made in the last two years. If they ever decided to fix it, it should be from at least Butterfield Rd. to 75th St. Otherwise, backups from the signals to the north would extend down to the improved road. Luckily, Illinois has plenty of cash sitting around to spend on it ;-).

hobsini2

IL-59 needs to be a quasi-freeway between there and North Aurora Road.  Over or under-passes at Oswego Road (US-34), the mall entrances, and New York Street.  It also needs another lane under the BNSF viaduct (a major choke point).  Of course, it would help if Aurora had more ways to cross the BNSF tracks between IL-59 and Farnsworth Avenue other than Eola Road.
There used to be a regular crossing between Eola and Farnsworth that was removed 2 years ago at McClure Rd. Unfortunately, it was nothing more than a side street. Now if they ever would connect the 2 ends of Frontenac Rd with a crossing, that may eleviate some of the local truck traffic going between industrial parks OR the other thing that could relieve traffic a bit would be to connect Fort Hill Dr in Naperville (that already is a truck route) with North Aurora Rd at Tudor Dr. or somehow connect Ft Hill with Bond St.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 08, 2012, 05:44:02 AM

There used to be a regular crossing between Eola and Farnsworth that was removed 2 years ago at McClure Rd. Unfortunately, it was nothing more than a side street. Now if they ever would connect the 2 ends of Frontenac Rd with a crossing, that may eleviate some of the local truck traffic going between industrial parks OR the other thing that could relieve traffic a bit would be to connect Fort Hill Dr in Naperville (that already is a truck route) with North Aurora Rd at Tudor Dr. or somehow connect Ft Hill with Bond St.

I very much agree.  Commons and Frontenac really need to be connected.  I found it very ironic when Aurora whined about the increased CN traffic on the former EJE would cut the town in two.  It's already cut into by the BNSF tracks!

muakde, I'm talking about widening the viaduct under the BNSF tracks on IL-59 from 2 to 3 lanes per direction.  That can be easily without taking any property and staying within the existing ROW.  One of the big problems there is consistency of the lanes.  Of course, since Naperville turned off the revenue..er..red light cameras at both North Aurora and Diehl, traffic flows a bit better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.