News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by cowboy_wilhelm - Today at 08:46:27 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 17, 2024, 01:48:05 AM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on March 16, 2024, 12:10:54 PMThe six through lanes on I-40 are a bit of overkill with the collector lanes. No one seems to be utilizing the third right lane since it ends up exiting or ending after a couple of miles, especially the tractor-trailers. I wish they'd gone ahead and widened a couple more miles west to Exit 148 and rebuilt the two sub-standard interchanges/bridges at 148 and 150.
I wouldn't say it's overkill... building for the future. It allows traffic to have more merging space and to un-choke traffic a little bit through that interchange area.

Which is the purpose of the C/D lanes. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar amount of traffic use the C/D lanes as the through lanes. Sure, better to widen with the rest of the project and future-proof it, but it's not really where the additional lanes are needed since so much traffic exits the I-40 main line. It's still overkill for such a short distance and lower volume when everything bottlenecks back to two sub-standard lanes after the C/D lanes merge. Like why not add 1000 feet of auxiliary lane eastbound to connect exits 150 and 151? Oh well, maybe one of these decades.

It's kind of funny how much conversation there is on here about future interstate upgrades in North Carolina when there are still so many miles of existing interstate highway in North Carolina that don't even meet modern interstate standards.

Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by SectorZ - Today at 08:42:18 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on Today at 05:22:20 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2024, 09:27:22 PMWhat does Governor Sequential (Sununu) have to say about the proposal?

I'd imagine he'd be vociferously opposed to it.

Got a link for that, too.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/a-toll-for-driving-into-mass-nh-gov-says-not-so-fast/3345545/
Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by GaryV - Today at 07:54:21 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2024, 03:47:47 PMI think it would be a monstrosity that would be better suited for being built in Chicago, Los Angeles or New York City.
Because those cities need or deserve monstrosities?

I agree with other posts, that unless OKC is vastly different from other cities, large office or residential buildings are seldom needed any more. GM is moving out of the RenCen in Detroit, and they don't know what the future will hold for those buildings. Just that it won't likely be office space, and they don't know if residential would be viable.
Traffic Control / Re: Active highway shields tha...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 07:41:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 24, 2021, 10:43:34 PMI don't know why but I've slapped the US 1 Mile Marker 0 shield several times.

That shield is legendary and thus very slap-worthy.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 07:40:08 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 04:20:19 PMI've been hearing stories that the new bridge will not be named the Francis Scott Key Bridge due to a second verse of his poem that became our nation's anthem. Apparently the song we recite at ball games etc, has more lyrics to it that we never sing as well as even know about.

I don't know what they are as it's news to me that the anthem even had another verse. However MD lawmakers are listening to public opinion already not to rename the bridge its existing name.

I doubt it'll surprise anyone to hear that I know the words to all four verses.

If you've never heard the whole anthem performed and you have eleven minutes, here you go.

Southeast / Re: The "Future" I-26 is arriv...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 07:01:30 AM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 22, 2024, 10:09:16 PMThe I-26/I-240 widening between the I-40 interchange and Patton Ave. has been delayed from November 2024 to November 2025.

April 2024 Detailed Schedule Changes

What?  I am shocked!

(i.e., get prepared for another move next year)
The bigger question is if Steel Curtain would be running.  There has to be Vegas odds on that bet nowadays...
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 06:58:24 AM
If you want a controversial song, try "My Old Kentucky Home."
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by Rothman - Today at 06:51:26 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2024, 09:59:37 PMWell she died in 2007 (and ceased being First Lady in 1969), so her opinion should be moot.

If you think still-active policies established in the 1960s as a result of her work are moot, that certainly says something about your opinion.
Quote from: SSOWorld on April 22, 2024, 07:35:10 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 21, 2024, 09:26:58 AMThanks so much to everyone who joined us in Charlotte yesterday!  It was so great to see all of you.  I hope you all had as much fun as I did.  :colorful:  I will say that I'm very much looking forward to doing this again next year in a different city!

Safe travels on your journeys home!!
pics, or it didn't happen ;)

Pics are coming!  I generally don't share photos here but will share them on my Facebook page soon.  :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.