News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

History of I-64 expansion in O'Fallon, MO

Started by eakelly, April 20, 2015, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eakelly

I'm looking for some help understanding what happened with US 40/61 when I-64 was extended into O'Fallon, MO.

Are the frontage roads like Technology Drive what used to be US 40? Or is I-64/US40/61 today physically on the site of old US 40?

About what year or how far into the I-64 expansion project would addresses have stopped giving US 40 as their address and started using Technology Dr?

Thank you!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

m2tbone

I live in O'Fallon and have since 2004.  At that time, the Hwy K interchange had just opened.  What is now Technology Dr. was previously westbound US 40/61.  The Winghaven Blvd exit was also built around that time.  Hwy N was then upgraded from a stoplight to an interchange leaving only a couple intersections with stop lights up until about 2007.  An interchange aldo added between Hwy 94 and the Missouri River after that time.  Then, the Prospect Rd. interchange opened making it all limited access and therefore extending I-64 all the way to I-70.  The Lake St. Louis Blvd and Hwy 94 interchanges were the only exits on the part in St. Charles County for the longest time.  Now, traffic is so heavy, I-64 needs to be widened to 6 lanes all the way to I-70. The new eastbound span of the Daniel Boone Bridge should open this summer.  Then, the current eastbound span will become the westbound span and the narrow old westbound span will be demolished.

Atomica

And currently there is roadwork on some of the I-64 with that regard - though it is concentrated mostly at the Missouri River bridge and near MO141...
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

bugo

As of 2002, there was a small pony truss on WB US 40/NB US 61/WB Future I-64 not too far from I-70. I'm sure it was removed, but where exactly was it? Did MoDOT make any effort to give the bridge to a city or county so it could be relocated?

Atomica

I might have seen a small truss bridge along what is now a frontage road along the I-64 near WingHaven - but cannot completely confirm that that is the bridge you are describing.
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

m2tbone

That small truss bridge is still there and is now part of an outer road.  (I drove over it today in Lake St. Louis.) Civic Center Drive is the name of that road.  It's located between the Lake St. Louis Blvd exit and Prospect Rd. exit. (near Dauphine Dr.)

Atomica

Quote from: m2tbone on May 02, 2015, 10:58:40 PM
That small truss bridge is still there and is now part of an outer road.  (I drove over it today in Lake St. Louis.) Civic Center Drive is the name of that road.  It's located between the Lake St. Louis Blvd exit and Prospect Rd. exit. (near Dauphine Dr.)

I knew it.  I knew it had to still be there and I knew it had to be part of the old highway.  I see that regularly when I have to go to St Louis for business.
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

CapeCodder

That section of 40 used to be really dangerous, IIRC the intersection with Hwy K was one of the most dangerous intersections in America at one point. There used to be a Citgo station there with a large sign, but that was years ago.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: CapeCodder on November 24, 2015, 08:56:23 AM
That section of 40 used to be really dangerous, IIRC the intersection with Hwy K was one of the most dangerous intersections in America at one point. There used to be a Citgo station there with a large sign, but that was years ago.

I drove that stretch of highway many a time in my college days. The intersection that used to exist at Route K was just downright awful from a safety AND efficiency perspective. Not only was it over a hill going westbound as the first "stop", but the timing of the light just seemed to be so questionable (it seemed I more often than not got stopped there). I was so glad when that light was removed, and the one at Route N was also a beautiful sight to see that one disappear. I hadn't been on that highway since the last two stoplights were removed until earlier this year, and what a difference it makes. Although, I also noticed how much more traffic there now is (especially with Route 364 feeding into it where the Route N interchange is/was). This really needs sic lanes out to I-70, and the portion of I-70 through Wentzville severly needs to be widening probably to eight lanes up to the Wentzville Parkway interchange (at least straighten that one curve), and then six lanes out to... well, the whole state!

CapeCodder

The pavement is a lot better too. I remember that stretch of 40 having really, really bad potholes. Now all they need to do is get rid of the WB Daniel Boone Bridge.

Revive 755

IIRC, the following is the sequence in which US 40 west of the Missouri River was upgraded:

1) MO 94 interchange and the interchange with I-70
2) Lake St. Louis Boulevard
3) Route DD
4) Missouri Research Park Drive eastbound entrance?
5) Route K (and addition of the EB entrance loop at MO 94
6) Missouri Research Park Drive westbound exit?
7) Route N
8) New EB lanes constructed between Route K and Route DD; former EB lanes become the new WB lanes; old WB lanes become an outer road
9) Prospect Road
10) Missouri Research Park Drive eastbound exit
11) Partial reconfiguration of the Route N interchange for MO 364

I recall the full upgrade being one of those "should have been done 20 years ago/will it ever be done?" type projects.

CapeCodder

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 29, 2015, 09:37:10 PM
IIRC, the following is the sequence in which US 40 west of the Missouri River was upgraded:

1) MO 94 interchange and the interchange with I-70
2) Lake St. Louis Boulevard
3) Route DD
4) Missouri Research Park Drive eastbound entrance?
5) Route K (and addition of the EB entrance loop at MO 94
6) Missouri Research Park Drive westbound exit?
7) Route N
8) New EB lanes constructed between Route K and Route DD; former EB lanes become the new WB lanes; old WB lanes become an outer road
9) Prospect Road
10) Missouri Research Park Drive eastbound exit
11) Partial reconfiguration of the Route N interchange for MO 364

I recall the full upgrade being one of those "should have been done 20 years ago/will it ever be done?" type projects.

I remember the new lanes added to 40/61 and the TO 64 signs. There were those hills when you came off the WB bridge. Those are gone now. It's almost unrecognizable now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.