News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dumb road signs

Started by Buffaboy, October 08, 2015, 10:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 03:54:10 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 25, 2015, 03:50:11 PM

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 01:26:03 PM
Oh really... didn't know I had to wait for green  :ded:

These tend to be less dumb road signs than signs necessitated by driver mistakes.

Does the oncoming traffic have a green light when traffic at this one has a red?  This would explain why drivers would need a reminder to keep still.

Still dumb... but I've seen 'Wait for Green' signs by my local mall with flashing yellow lights... are they still suppose to wait for green despite flashing yellow?  :hmmm: :paranoid:

Sometimes dumb drivers require dumb signs.

jwolfer

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 27, 2015, 08:23:39 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9784221,-86.1230846,3a,15y,119.08h,85.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ_R3icSS1eJ-rkzgHWAdkg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Drug free school zone signs.  What is the real purpose of this sign? Is it implying that there are other school zones in the area that aren't drug free? This should go without saying, every school is intended to be drug free (which is likely untrue at every school these days).  Also the font size is too small and unreadable by anyone not within 5 feet of it.  the sign has a good intent I guess, but was it really necessary?  feel free to call me stupid for that rant, but I think it's a stupid sign.
To be stolen by stoner college students for dorm room wall decor

SignGeek101

Yuck font too. Looks like Arial Black.

noelbotevera

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 25, 2015, 10:37:19 PM

So there's three things wrong here:
1. Thanks, Captain Obvious! I gotta wait for green!
2. Yucky font, it's probably Arialveticasterstesk (I do not know how to spell it)
3. Who's Burnside?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

GaryV

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 26, 2015, 02:02:51 PM
3. Who's Burnside?
The Civil War general who sideburns are named after.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 26, 2015, 02:02:51 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 25, 2015, 10:37:19 PM

So there's three things wrong here:
1. Thanks, Captain Obvious! I gotta wait for green!
2. Yucky font, it's probably Arialveticasterstesk (I do not know how to spell it)
3. Who's Burnside?

1.  The sign has a purpose mandated by incompetent drivers, as already explained.

2.  That's not a font, no matter how you spell it.

3.  This is Burnside. 

Of these, the only "wrong" would be the non-standard font, but that is a pretty thin candidate for "dumb road signs."

Katavia

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2015, 08:02:39 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 24, 2015, 01:23:27 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2015, 01:19:43 PM
Dumb road signs? Someone needs to post one of New York's "Text Stop" signs in this thread for it to be complete.

How come? You mean because it states the obvious, that one should stop to text?

iPhone

No, because it's a stupid attempt to rebrand a rest area.

Here it is:
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Katavia on November 29, 2015, 08:34:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2015, 08:02:39 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 24, 2015, 01:23:27 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2015, 01:19:43 PM
Dumb road signs? Someone needs to post one of New York's "Text Stop" signs in this thread for it to be complete.

How come? You mean because it states the obvious, that one should stop to text?

iPhone

No, because it's a stupid attempt to rebrand a rest area.

Here it is:

Add me to the list of people who do not understand what makes this "stupid."  I see no attempt to convince anyone it is not a rest area.

jeffandnicole

OK, I texted 'Stop'.  Who do I send it to? :-)

NJ

roadman65

HB you should have been around back in the 1970's when NYSDOT called all rest areas on NY 17 as Phone Comfort Stations.  That was done cause rest areas were basically places to make phone calls, as cell phones were not used by the GP then, and the comfort came from taking care of mother nature like "rest" is for "bath" in bathrooms.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 29, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
Send it to phone provider to block the spam sender.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on November 29, 2015, 08:55:57 PM
HB you should have been around back in the 1970's when NYSDOT called all rest areas on NY 17 as Phone Comfort Stations.  That was done cause rest areas were basically places to make phone calls, as cell phones were not used by the GP then, and the comfort came from taking care of mother nature like "rest" is for "bath" in bathrooms.

I try to keep my phone as comfortable as possible.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Katavia

Quote from: hbelkins on November 29, 2015, 09:54:52 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 29, 2015, 08:55:57 PM

I try to keep my phone as comfortable as possible.  :bigass:
haha :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan:
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

ekt8750

That's a sign PennDOT created cause drivers here like to jump green signals. It's found posted on signals opposite the flow of traffic that has a green/green arrow phase. The idea is to keep drivers without the arrow from thinking their signal is turning green when they see the opposite lane moving. They also use a sign that reads "Opposing Traffic Has Extended Green" for intersections that have their green/green arrow phase follow a green phase.

NJ

Another funny one in NYC....

Big John

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on December 01, 2015, 04:05:01 PM

That's a sign PennDOT created cause drivers here like to jump green signals. It's found posted on signals opposite the flow of traffic that has a green/green arrow phase. The idea is to keep drivers without the arrow from thinking their signal is turning green when they see the opposite lane moving. They also use a sign that reads "Opposing Traffic Has Extended Green" for intersections that have their green/green arrow phase follow a green phase.

Seen them on rare occasion in NJ as well, which tends to use 'Delayed Green' instead.  One person asked me about it once, thinking it meant the same as a 'No Turn On Red' (which a number of people assume).  I don't know if I ever convinced her of its true meaning.

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 02, 2015, 08:24:20 AM
Quote from: ekt8750 on December 01, 2015, 04:05:01 PM

Seen them on rare occasion in NJ as well, which tends to use 'Delayed Green' instead.  One person asked me about it once, thinking it meant the same as a 'No Turn On Red' (which a number of people assume).  I don't know if I ever convinced her of its true meaning.

The wording I see most often is "Oncoming Traffic Has Extended Green" or something to that effect, which is obviously much more verbose than this version. This is apparently an attempt to convey that message more briefly, but knowing the intended context makes it seem a lot less like stating the obvious.

Scott5114

You know, it just says "Wait for green". It doesn't say where I have to wait for the green. I could drive off and wait for the green at home.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 02, 2015, 12:10:53 PM

You know, it just says "Wait for green". It doesn't say where I have to wait for the green. I could drive off and wait for the green at home.

I waited.  I got bored.  So I just went.

formulanone

It also doesn't say which green thing you're supposed to wait for.

The sign is green, so...

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on December 02, 2015, 02:04:50 PM

The sign is green, so...

That wasn't a long wait at all!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Katavia

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 29, 2015, 08:50:04 PM

To NYDOT. lol  :spin: :spin: :spin:

Mr_Northside

Quote from: formulanone on December 02, 2015, 02:04:50 PM

I'm sure there's a stereotypical stoner out there that will take that as a cue to partake in some of the good green.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.