News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-5 Widening LA County Line to 605 Project Maps

Started by Bigmikelakers, June 17, 2011, 05:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmikelakers

Interesting design plans. The left lane Firestone Bl exit will be eliminated. Also a lot of businesses along the Firestone Bl frontage road through La Mirada will be affected. According to Caltrans, the project will start this winter. Once completed, I-5 will be at least 4 lanes wide for 220 miles from the Mexican border to the 99 junction. Not many freeways/highways can say that.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/travel/projects/I-5/

nexus73

10 years from now, the whole shebang will be done as laid out.  Wow...LOL!  We built the entire Alaska Highway in less than a year.  In 1942 it was a matter of national survival to get things done quickly.  In 2011 it still is a matter of national survival to have our infrastructure up to snuff but we're seeing the same ol' slow modern day approach as if time was of no consequence and SoCal was just a wide spot in the road needing a mild upgrade.

If CalTrans had been this slow in rebuilding after the Northridge quake, we'd still be waiting for the studies to finish.  The need for more freeway lanes on this section of I-5 has been known for decades.  Where's a Robert Moses when you need one?

There are more people in LA County than there is in any other state west of the Rockies.  The only state west of the Mississippi with more people than SoCal as a whole (LA, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange and Ventura counties) is Texas and the Longhorn State isn't that far ahead despite having the largest land mass of the lower 48.  It takes a whole lot of transportation infrastructure to keep something as big as SoCal going strong.  CalTrans and the rest of the bureaucracies can't even begin to keep up with what's going on, let alone get ahead of the curve.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

mgk920

And it still doesn't include provisions for a better, more direct connection between I-5 and I-105 at I-605 (ie, replace that loop ramp with a direct flyover)....

Mike

Bigmikelakers

Update: Caltrans is ready to begin construction to add a general purpose and carpool lane from Alondra Bl to Shoemaker this winter. Part 1 of 6 projects to widen the 5 up to the 605.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=resources/traffic&id=8205276

rschen7754

I think part of it is the Caltrans divisions... the Orange County division seems to be quite on top of things (look at their part in the project, and exit numbers for example)... but once you cross into the LA/Ventura district... things go downhill quite quickly.

OCGuy81

QuoteI think part of it is the Caltrans divisions... the Orange County division seems to be quite on top of things (look at their part in the project, and exit numbers for example)... but once you cross into the LA/Ventura district... things go downhill quite quickly.

Very true.  Driving on the 5 and crossing between LA and Orange County is night and day.  The LA County section has seemed neglected for a long time, IMO.  Once you cross into Orange Co. the Santa Ana Freeway is a great stretch of road.

Must be the Disney lobby wanting to keep tourists impressed with California roadways!  :-P

The High Plains Traveler

I pulled my travel trailer through downtown L.A. last year (on a Saturday) on my way from San Diego to Pismo Beach. I had no clue of the lane drop on NB I-5 at the L.A. County line until I noticed the stutter stripe in the right lane, where I was dutifully driving. Traffic in the continuing three lanes was basically at a standstill so I edged into the next lane in front of a semi - who allowed me to move in as fast as traffic would allow. The f**ktard behind me laid on his horn as he was finally able to pass. You'd think out of state plates would buy some compassion in a situation like that. I really couldn't believe the freeway lost capacity as it headed into L.A. 
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

OCGuy81

QuoteI really couldn't believe the freeway lost capacity as it headed into L.A. 

That always seemed odd to me as well.  In theory, as a freeway approaches a city center it should be gaining capacity, not losing.  I've seen cases of this in other cities as well.  Portland comes to mind, as the 5 drops to 2 lanes right after the northern 405 split by the Rose Garden.  Right in downtown practically and it drops to 2 lanes?

agentsteel53

it used to be 3 lanes in each direction all the way from LA to Santa Ana.  then they've started upgrading, but from the south end.  the reason for the drop is that they simply haven't expanded the LA County segment of the Santa Ana freeway yet.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Riverside Frwy

I can't believe you guys still drive I-5. I avoid I-5 when possible, in fact I haven't been on I-5 nearly 3-5 years. I-5 is the most direct diagonal freeway, while also being the most famous. Even if people don't know a thing about freeways, they ALWAYS know what I-5 is. Every time when I pass by on a crossing freeway, I always see back up.

Also, it's ORANGE COUNTY. No $hit sherlock of course their segment of I-5 is going to be the best in So Cal and quite possibly the entire west coast. OC is not hesitant when upgrading freeways. They are already upgrading my beloved CA 91 with a new lane from I-5 to CA 71. Not to mention, the OC has it's own Caltrans district(District 12), which means management and funds can be focus on their freeways and their freeways alone. On top of that, they are a very small county so they can focus more funds on the freeways they have, unlike District 7 that not only has to cover the already big LA County, but Ventura as well.

Bickendan

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 13, 2011, 09:57:14 AM
QuoteI really couldn't believe the freeway lost capacity as it headed into L.A. 

That always seemed odd to me as well.  In theory, as a freeway approaches a city center it should be gaining capacity, not losing.  I've seen cases of this in other cities as well.  Portland comes to mind, as the 5 drops to 2 lanes right after the northern 405 split by the Rose Garden.  Right in downtown practically and it drops to 2 lanes?
I-5 used to be four lanes. The Eastbank Freeway never got widened to 6 while the Baldock Freeway and North Minnesota Avenue did. It's a known bottleneck in the system, one where people are legitimately complaining that the Interstate Bridge replacement won't fix (duh). At least the Delta Park bottleneck's finally been addressed and widened.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on October 13, 2011, 07:48:23 PM
Not to mention, the OC has it's own Caltrans district(District 12), which means management and funds can be focus on their freeways and their freeways alone. On top of that, they are a very small county so they can focus more funds on the freeways they have
That's something I never understood.  How in the heck did Orange County get their own Caltrans District?  The "Mickey Mouse" effect?  The wealth factor?  The "I don't want to be a part of L.A." factor?
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

OCGuy81

QuoteThat's something I never understood.  How in the heck did Orange County get their own Caltrans District?  The "Mickey Mouse" effect?  The wealth factor?  The "I don't want to be a part of L.A." factor?

I think you're definitely onto something with the wealth factor.  There seems to be a lot of successful lobbying here that likely involves a lot of money changing hands. The old "money talks" mantra, I guess. (I'm not one of the elite, mind you!  :-(

Best example that I can think of with that is the noise abatement procedures in place at SNA.  Pilots basically take off and have to almost immediately reduce power so they're quiet while flying over Newport Beach.  Also, flights can't take off or land past 11, IIRC.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.