News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana I-64 question

Started by ShawnP, January 19, 2011, 08:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

Anyone have a pretty good time line of completion dates on I-64 in Indiana? I know I-64 was done in Illinois from 72-76 time frame as I have a decent shape 73 Rand McNally Atlas.

NE2

Have you used bridge dates to get rough dates (+-1-2 years)?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ShawnP

RoadWarrior56

I have a good knowledge of when sections of I-64 opened in Indiana.  I lived in Evansville when it was being constructed, and I worked as a co-op in the INDOT Vincennes district at the time.  It is one of my favorite interstates in the country.

It was constructed from both borders and met in the middle.

E- Sherman Minton Bridge - Opened around 1961

E -SR 62 in New Albany up Floyds Knobs to SR 62(US 460)/SR 64 exit- Opened late 1967 or early 1968 (about 5-6 miles)

W-IL 1 just over the Wabash River to US 41 exit (25 miles)

W- US 41 exit to SR 57 exit (4 miles) - late 1971

W- SR 57 exit to SR 61 exit (10 miles) - late 1973

E- SR 62(US 460)/SR 64 to SR 135 exit (13 miles) - late 1973

W- SR 61 exit to US 231 exit (approx. 20 miles)- mid 1975

E- SR 135 exit to SR 37 N. exit (approx 15-20 miles) - late 1975

Last segment - US 231 exit to SR 37 N. exit (25-30 miles) - September 15, 1976

During the nearly 1 year when there was the single gap in the middle, INDOT put I-64 signs along the US 460/SR 62 sign assemblies.  They weren't trailblazers, I-64 was actually co-signed.

A few weeks after I-64 was completed in Indiana, US 460 was decommissioned in Indiana and Illinois.

I-64 was the last original mainline interstate to be completed in Indiana.  I-265 opened one month later on October 15, 1976.

ShawnP

Thanks alot and great information there. It is a very pretty Interstate west of Corydon to just east of Evansville with lots of rolling hills and forests.

ShawnP

I also like alot of the wide medians involved west of Louisville as in some places you can't even see the other side thru the forests. Much prettier than say I-70 in Missouri.

tdindy88

Needless to say, it's probably the ONLY Indiana interstate that could be considered scenic, in parts at least. But I always enjoyed it from New Albany over to US 231, it makes you forget that Indiana is generally a flat, boring state.

RoadWarrior56

Having driven virtually all of the Indiana interstates at one time or another, you are right, I-64 IS about the only scenic one in the state.  Virtually the entire stretch between US 231 and Corydon was design and constructed to where each pair of lanes is on independent alignments.  That helps make it an even more interesting segment.

BTW, I have also driven the parallel SR 62 (decommissioned US 460), which is a scenic but slow, dangerous and curvy road.  Completion I-64 cut over an hour from the trip to Louisville from Evansville.  Before I-64, most people drove out of their way to use SR 64 further north to avoid that bad road.

RoadWarrior56

One other exception on the lack of scenic interstates in Indiana................the first 20 miles or so of I-74 as you head west from the Ohio state line.  That area is rugged and hilly much like I-64, if not more so.  In fact, the non-glaciated parts of southern Indiana are generally hilly to begin with.

mobilene

I guess bad is in the eye of the beholder, because State Road 62 is one of my top favorites in Indiana.  It's just a gorgeous drive.  jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

RoadWarrior56

The previous post is absolutely correct.  SR 62 is definitely very scenic.  It is a very unique drive.  The section between Dale and Corydon is 80 miles of almost continuous curves, woods and scenery.   I was making the point that if you purpose was to get to Louisville in the shortest period of time and to keep a reasonable speed, few people I knew chose to drive that road.

ShawnP

I live 75 feet from that road and can atest to the beauty of the road. I highly recommend the Overlook Inn in Leavonworth. Good foood and great views of the Ohio River and God's County aka Kentucky.

hbelkins

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on January 22, 2011, 09:11:07 PM
The previous post is absolutely correct.  SR 62 is definitely very scenic.  It is a very unique drive.  The section between Dale and Corydon is 80 miles of almost continuous curves, woods and scenery.   I was making the point that if you purpose was to get to Louisville in the shortest period of time and to keep a reasonable speed, few people I knew chose to drive that road.

My goal is usually to get AWAY FROM Louisville in the shortest period of time.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mobilene

SR 62 at the entrance to the Harrison-Crawford State Forest:

Southern Indiana road trip by mobilene, on Flickr

A view of the Ohio River at the Overlook Restaurant in Leavenworth, on SR 62:

Southern Indiana road trip by mobilene, on Flickr

If you're in a hurry, don't take SR 62.  If you like spirited or scenic driving, SR 62 is a great choice.

Peace,
jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

ShawnP

Last time I was at the Overlook in July saw a Eagle riding the upcurrents. Also if you want nice views take a ride into the O'Bannon State Park and go pretty far in. I saw a nice eight pointer and also if you get lucky you can get a campsite right on the river.

ShawnP

If you guys take IN-62 Westward from Edwardsville towards Corydon. I won't say what it is but you will see the only one left in Indiana. I live less than 75 feet from it.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ShawnP on January 24, 2011, 09:03:08 PM
If you guys take IN-62 Westward from Edwardsville towards Corydon. I won't say what it is but you will see the only one left in Indiana. I live less than 75 feet from it.

no, there are others... also there's four in Illinois, oddly enough.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ShawnP

Cool link and like the picture. The one local is in pretty good shape and will last for much longer unless sign Nazi's get it.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 24, 2011, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: ShawnP on January 24, 2011, 09:03:08 PM

no, there are others... also there's four in Illinois, oddly enough.

Let me guess ... US 460 signs? If so, I wanna see pictures! ;-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RoadWarrior56

Good luck finding US 460 signs.  US 460 was decommissioned in Indiana in November of 1976, well over 30 yrs ago.  Much of US 460 was also on the Lincoln Heritage Trail, so sign assemblies had US 460, SR 62 and a Lincoln Heritage Trail sign.  There were also a lot of classic 1940's spec cutout shields along that roadway well into the 1970's.  I needed my digital camera when I was a teen back there, hahaha, I could had taken pictures.

Two bits of trivia about US 460 in Indiana.  It was only commissioned west of its current terminus in the early 50's from what I had read, so it was only around in Indiana and Illinois for approximately 25 yrs.  It has been gone longer than it was ever here.  Also, the only section of US 460 in the State of Indiana that was not a duplex with another route was about 5 miles of the Diamond Avenue Expressway on the north side of Evansville.  The rest of it was either duplexed with SR 62 or SR 66.  That made it a real easy route number to decommission.

ShawnP

It's actually a pretty good quality 1957 type Indiana I-64 sign. I have lots of pictures of it in the fall and winter.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ShawnP on January 25, 2011, 09:07:05 PM
It's actually a pretty good quality 1957 type Indiana I-64 sign. I have lots of pictures of it in the fall and winter.

in Chicago, of all places.

jake@aaroads.com

ShawnP

That old girl doesn't have much life left in her. However so many cool signs on that sign.

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 25, 2011, 10:17:55 PM
in Chicago, of all places.

Hmm, I wonder why the 65 is covering up something?  Did the original 65 wear out or was there some number there I didn't know about?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

I think they just needed a 65 real fast so they took a blank that was another number and redid it.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.