Delays for study of I-66 across southern Illinois

Started by Revive 755, February 13, 2013, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

codyg1985

QuoteThe Interstate 66 project through Southern Illinois is part of the East-West Transamerica Corridor, a national transportation plan first studied in the 1980s that would start in San Diego and end in Norfolk, Va.

So I guess I-66 in DC would just disappear?  :rolleyes:
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NWI_Irish96

The Transamerica Corridor would run from SD to Norfolk.  I-66 would not be the designation for the entire corridor.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rover_0

I wonder how this works out if Kentucky decides to scrap their I-66 plan.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

I had heard maybe 20 years ago that there was a faction in IDOT that was obsessed with a Paducah to Cape Girardeau highway and the resposne from the politicos was"If Missouri and Kentucky want it we will build it ....if they pay for it "
The only road being pushed in far Southern Illinois is the widening of IL 127 a sort of replacement for the I-24 extension which was part of the old supplemental freeway system

tidecat

Part of the appeal behind the proposed I-66 extension was that Kentucky and Missouri have no direct link by road, and I-66 would have changed that.  A Paducah-Cape Girardeau route does not address that.

If such a route were built, though, it would provide the perfect opportunity to relocate I-24 by making it more of an east-west route rather than a north-south route from I-57 to Paducah-not that it would happen in real life.  There would also be plenty of available numbers should the route be built and the I-66 westward extension gets scrapped.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

vdeane

Quote from: Rover_0 on February 16, 2013, 04:50:23 PM
I wonder how this works out if Kentucky decides to scrap their I-66 plan.
I thought they already had... it's pretty much as good as dead right now.  I think future building on that corridor is planned as parkway extensions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.