News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A route with no ends

Started by Alps, March 07, 2013, 09:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

As I'm writing my Ohio 710 page, I notice that the first shield leaving OH 161 is for North 710. Well, the route runs mostly east/west, but the major issue is that the other end of 710 faces south. Anyway, I get to the other end, and on Cleveland Avenue NB I find a milepost that says "710 N" on it. What this basically tells me is that OH 710 NB has no ends - and OH 710 SB has two ends. Or just maybe ODOT should sign the whole thing east/west. (:

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

route29

nexus73

Quote from: corco on March 07, 2013, 09:29:10 PM
US 101

101 ends on the north at Olympia and on the south in LA.  Is there some definition of "end" I am missing?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

corco

Both ends are signed as "101 North"

Alps

Wasn't really going for a full listing, hence the regional post. Also, OH 710 is all of 4 miles long, which is a very short distance to change directions twice. I think it actually doesn't change directions at all, just that the milepost signs were switched at the "north" end for obvious reasons.

nexus73

Quote from: corco on March 07, 2013, 10:11:21 PM
Both ends are signed as "101 North"

That's due to 101 curving around the Olympic Peninsula.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

corco

theline

Way. See US Ends for the whole story, and some good pictures.

QuoteIt can cause a lot of confusion to use a single highway number for a road that turns around and heads the opposite direction for a significant distance - as US 101 does in the Olympic Peninsula. David Barts informs me that, until the 1990s, Olympia-bound traffic was signed "North" along the entire route, while the opposite direction was signed "South"... even the segment that heads north from Olympia for nearly 100 miles. Of course that was perplexing to drivers, so now US 101 is signed "North" from Olympia to WA hwy. 20 at Discovery Bay, then "West" from there to WA 113 at Sappho, and then "South" through Aberdeen and into Oregon. (At least that's what I've gathered from what I can make out on SRweb [WA DoT's web-based state route viewer]. But signage doesn't appear to be 100% consistent, and even if it was, it would still be a pretty tricky situation in my opinion.) But let's move on, shall we, to photos of the "northern southern" terminus of US 101 in Washington.

formulanone

Quote from: route29 on March 07, 2013, 09:58:34 PM
Alabama Hwy 210 :D

Good one, I don't think any cardinal directions are posted with that one...and a colossal amount of sine salads along that route, too.

tvketchum

NE2

This thread (and the three state borders one) is a veritable honeytrap for people who don't read the first post.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: tvketchum on March 08, 2013, 05:52:03 PM
M-185

I think we have our winner.  It has no ending and no beginning.  The mobius loop of highways.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Routes in Alanland both end and don't end.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tidecat

Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

NE2

US71

Many Texas Loop Routes have no end, like Loop 286 at Paris and Loop 149 at Carthage.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ShawnP

A route with no ends.

Is this what happens Road Geeks get into writing music lyrics?

US71

Quote from: ShawnP on April 08, 2013, 12:18:37 PM
A route with no ends.

Yes, it goes on and on, my friends  :evilgrin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: vdeane on March 09, 2013, 12:24:25 PM
Routes in Alanland both end and don't end.

Alan Belt Route 0 (a one-way road between East Alan Capital and East Alan Lowercase) has a west terminus and two north termini, but no ends and sometimes it has a beginning but only when it is not numbered 0 due to a Google Maps error.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

A route with no ends.

I drove through the desert on a route with no ends...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

Standing on a route with no ends in Winslow, Arizona.

Move over Eagles I'm gonna hit it big ehhhhhh?

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2013, 06:05:18 PM
A route with no ends.

I drove through the desert on a route with no ends...

I read that post about four hours ago, and I just realized now that I've had the song stuck in my head ever since then.  :pan:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.