News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconG

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 17, 2014, 08:28:35 AM
In this July 16 News Release, LaDOTD announces that construction has started on the "last mile" of I-49 North, Segment K, and that completion of all of I-49 North is anticipated by "2016/2017":
DOTD anticipates the completion of the I-49 North Corridor by 2016/2017.

This June 25 TV video includes some footage of work on I-220 related to construction of the I-49/I-220 interchange and reports that the interchange appears to be on track for a Summer 2017 opening, although recent delays caused by the heavy rains and flooding may push that date back:

A project connecting I-49 and LA Hwy 1 to I-220 is one step closer to being completed.
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development closed I-220 a few weekends ago to install barriers. However, the rain stopped them from completing the work.
DOTD is now working on fixing and switching the westbound lanes. That will take 6 months to complete.
Once that's done, traffic will be moved to the eastbound side as they finish westbound lanes.
I-49 and LA Hwy 1 are expected to both be connected to I-220 by Summer 2017, weather permitting.
DOTD says they have already seen major delays this year because of the weather, and they expect that it could be pushed back even further.

Quote from: kendancy66 on June 26, 2015, 10:48:58 PM
What does the Z in US 90 represent?

I don't have the official LaDOTD answer; all I know is that when I think about Ninety Z I start thinking of Channel Z:

I am driving on Ninety Z !!!  :awesomeface:

Anthony_JK

I didn't invent the term, I just saw it on LADOTD's website. I plead innocence in this one.

cjk374

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 27, 2015, 09:03:14 PM
I didn't invent the term, I just saw it on LADOTD's website. I plead innocence in this one.

I get LaDOTD's e-mails about projects around the state. I saw that designation in one of them recently and wondered how it got that designation also.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mgk920

Quote from: Grzrd on July 17, 2014, 08:28:35 AM
In this July 16 News Release, LaDOTD announces that construction has started on the "last mile" of I-49 North, Segment K, and that completion of all of I-49 North is anticipated by "2016/2017":
DOTD anticipates the completion of the I-49 North Corridor by 2016/2017.

What is the latest scoop on the part of I-49 between there and I-20?

Mike

Grzrd

Quote from: mgk920 on June 28, 2015, 03:29:05 PM

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its Transportation Policy Committee May 8, 2015 Draft Minutes, which indicate that the "Loop It" alternative does not appear to meet the Purpose and Need of the Inner City Connector ("ICC") project, and that there may be several public meetings in July regarding the ICC:

Mr. Rogers gave a brief update regarding the I‐49 Inner City Connector. He stated there was a meeting the previous week with FHWA, the consultant, and NLCOG to discuss planning the upcoming public meetings and the timeframe for holding those. He stated there would be 4‐5 meetings held in the study area. Mayor Tyler asked if the fifth alternative was the "loop it"  alternative; Mr. Rogers stated that the fifth alternative was the "loop it"  idea: to use I‐220 and LA 3132 along with local streets by making improvements. He stated this does not meet the purpose and need. Mr. Rogers stated the next round of public meetings would be in summer 2015, most likely in July. Mayor Walker asked what the construction around the landfill on I‐220 was. Mr. Rogers stated that it is part of I‐49 North. Mr. North stated it is sections J, K1 and K2 that is currently under construction with about six months left.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Grzrd on June 28, 2015, 06:59:27 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 28, 2015, 03:29:05 PM

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its Transportation Policy Committee May 8, 2015 Draft Minutes, which indicate that the "Loop It" alternative does not appear to meet the Purpose and Need of the Inner City Connector ("ICC") project, and that there may be several public meetings in July regarding the ICC:

Mr. Rogers gave a brief update regarding the I‐49 Inner City Connector. He stated there was a meeting the previous week with FHWA, the consultant, and NLCOG to discuss planning the upcoming public meetings and the timeframe for holding those. He stated there would be 4‐5 meetings held in the study area. Mayor Tyler asked if the fifth alternative was the "loop it"  alternative; Mr. Rogers stated that the fifth alternative was the "loop it"  idea: to use I‐220 and LA 3132 along with local streets by making improvements. He stated this does not meet the purpose and need. Mr. Rogers stated the next round of public meetings would be in summer 2015, most likely in July. Mayor Walker asked what the construction around the landfill on I‐220 was. Mr. Rogers stated that it is part of I‐49 North. Mr. North stated it is sections J, K1 and K2 that is currently under construction with about six months left.

Looks pretty good for the ICC. It would be a good freeway that could be a viaduct, below grade with possible park caps, or a tunnel entirely if you want to go overkill. I would choose below grade with a few caps.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Henry

Quote from: yakra on June 27, 2015, 01:48:14 AM
ZOUNDS!
Or, to borrow a legendary game show term, ZONK!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ARMOURERERIC

Or for all you Norville Rodgers fans out there: Zoinks!

Gordon

June 29, 2015) "The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces today that it has signed a design-build contract, as part of the Geaux South program, for the construction of the U.S. 90 (future I-49 South) at La. 318 interchange project in St. Mary Parish. The design-build contractor is Gilchrist Construction Co., who has selected Stantec as its lead designer. The project will involve upgrading the existing U.S. 90 and La. 318 signalized intersection to a full control of access, grade-separated interchange including the reconstruction of the U.S. 90 frontage roads to provide local access to La. 318. As part of the plan, the project would improve connectivity for industrial and freight transport to the sugar mill and port-related industries, as well as increase capacity and improve overall mobility. The $56 million project will be primarily funded with unclaimed property funds. Work is estimated for completion in just over two years. The Geaux South program is a $3 billion program dedicated to upgrading U.S. 90 to interstate standards.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Gordon on June 29, 2015, 09:29:33 PM
June 29, 2015) "The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces today that it has signed a design-build contract, as part of the Geaux South program, for the construction of the U.S. 90 (future I-49 South) at La. 318 interchange project in St. Mary Parish. The design-build contractor is Gilchrist Construction Co., who has selected Stantec as its lead designer. The project will involve upgrading the existing U.S. 90 and La. 318 signalized intersection to a full control of access, grade-separated interchange including the reconstruction of the U.S. 90 frontage roads to provide local access to La. 318. As part of the plan, the project would improve connectivity for industrial and freight transport to the sugar mill and port-related industries, as well as increase capacity and improve overall mobility. The $56 million project will be primarily funded with unclaimed property funds. Work is estimated for completion in just over two years. The Geaux South program is a $3 billion program dedicated to upgrading U.S. 90 to interstate standards.

One step closer to I-49 in Louisana!
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

The Ghostbuster

Will Interstate 49 South be completed within our lifetimes? It seems like it will be a long time before one can travel nonstop between Lafayette and New Orleans on an Interstate other than Interstate 10.

DeaconG

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 30, 2015, 07:48:53 PM
Will Interstate 49 South be completed within our lifetimes? It seems like it will be a long time before one can travel nonstop between Lafayette and New Orleans on an Interstate other than Interstate 10.

You'll see it before I-49 completed in Arkansas!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

cjk374

Just a quick update on the I-49/I-220 interchange project:  I saw this morning that the west bound lanes have now been moved over onto the east bound side.  All of the concrete west bound lanes have been removed down to the dirt. So far the project seems to be moving along slowly due to the extremely wet year we have had so far.

And despite the sign replacement project taking place on all of I-220, the 2 overhead signs mounted on the overpasses over US 71/LA1 with the state outline shields for LA 1 are still hanging in there!!!   :clap: :clap: But I don't know for how much longer though. The other overpass overhead sign at the other exits are all new (and all of the new signs are clearview).

pctech

Quote from: DeaconG on July 01, 2015, 11:47:46 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 30, 2015, 07:48:53 PM

You'll see it before I-49 completed in Arkansas!
A better question, will we live long enough to see the I-10/110 interchange disaster and the I-10 river bridge in Baton Rouge rebuilt?

cjk374

Quote from: cjk374 on June 28, 2015, 03:23:48 PM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 27, 2015, 09:03:14 PM

I get LaDOTD's e-mails about projects around the state. I saw that designation in one of them recently and wondered how it got that designation also.

I just read another e-mail from DOTD talking about a lane closure on LA 1X from North Hancock to LA 494 in Natchitoches Parish. Another weird DOTD designation.

bassoon1986

The X must be an internal designation for business routes. Sounds like the US 90Z thing from earlier.

cjk374

Business route was my first thought also, but I wasn't sure.

Darkchylde

It'd make sense, there is a US 190X and 190Y in the eastern part of the state that corresponds to business routes there.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on March 08, 2015, 09:05:44 PM
Quote from: apjung on March 06, 2015, 09:42:16 PM
Google Maps now has updated aerials of a completed I-49 on the Arkansas/Louisiana border. I do see that a section between Hosston and LA 168 has asphalt shoulders and a lot of concrete patchwork.
http://goo.gl/maps/p63Rz
There is a lot of patchwork ("doweling") on the whole road between Shreveport and the AR-LA State Line.  Grzrd and I noticed that when we did our pre-drive, though the asphalt repave didn't exist at that time.

This TV video reports on the asphalt patch and LaDOTD's contention that it is not a result of contractor negligence:

The drive from Shreveport to Texarkana got a whole lot easier and quicker when I-49 North opened up.
The ribbon cutting was only about 9 months ago, but, something unexpected has developed.  Right between mile marker 226 and 227 near the town of Belcher is a big patch of black asphalt where repairs have been made recently. Kind of surprising, especially when you consider the road is less than a year old.  It's been built up and repaired with asphalt because the road is sinking and cracking.
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development says
"This is an unusual situation for which DOTD is proactively working to find a solution." ....
This spot has already been worked on twice by DOTD, so who do you think pays for that work?  YOU DO!  In the form of your tax dollars.
That's because DOTD says this is not a case of contractor negligence. "The failure is not in the product; it is in the earth below the product."
There are some plans in the works in terms of long term solutions, but first they have to figure out exactly what the problem is, until then it will be patchwork.

codyg1985

That TV reporter used to work at WAAY-TV here in Huntsville....

If the soil conditions were the culprit, then I would think that should have been captured in the design. If it was due to very bad clay soil, then that should have been captured and dealt with in the design. Maybe they didn't do a boring in that location? I'm not sure how closely spaced soil borings are on large road projects since I deal with soil borings for buildings in my line of work.

If it was a spring that sprung up, causing a sinkhole or subsidence, then that would be harder to detect using traditional soil borings.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cjk374

I drove the whole stretch from Shreveport to Texarkana a couple of weeks ago. The ENTIRE road in Louisiana, both directions, is lumpy. The concrete work US71 mentioned above looks to me like the dowel bars inside the concrete may have been breaking the original concrete apart, then they went and patched it up with new concrete (my opinion only...  I have no facts to base my opinion on). Most of the land I-49 sits on was growing cotton just a few years ago. It just seems to me that the contractors didn't mix the soil with enough lime (or cement)...or may not have been packed enough with a sheepfoot roller and a smooth roller to the correct proctor percentage.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on July 15, 2015, 07:05:18 PM
I drove the whole stretch from Shreveport to Texarkana a couple of weeks ago. The ENTIRE road in Louisiana, both directions, is lumpy. The concrete work US71 mentioned above looks to me like the dowel bars inside the concrete may have been breaking the original concrete apart, then they went and patched it up with new concrete (my opinion only...  I have no facts to base my opinion on). Most of the land I-49 sits on was growing cotton just a few years ago. It just seems to me that the contractors didn't mix the soil with enough lime (or cement)...or may not have been packed enough with a sheepfoot roller and a smooth roller to the correct proctor percentage.

It may have been a bad design all together. Generally, you don't want to use a rigid pavement under soil that is notorious for slow, differential settlement.  Treating the subgrade with lime would help, though. If there was a lot of leftover organic material that went down several feet, then I bet it was too expensive to try and dig it all up to get to more suitable material. From what the video shows and what you describe, it sounds like unanticipated settlement that is causing the concrete pavement to crack since it can't flex with the sinking soil under it.

It would be neat to see the plans for the project to see how the soil was prepared.
Cody Goodman

cjk374

When I worked road construction (Pine Bluff, AR), these were the steps in building a road (simplified and based on then-AR standards blue book):

1. Build up the roadbed to desired height 1' at a time. Roll each layer until it compacts to a 95% proctor reading to be determined by a Troxler density gauge. No other layers can be added until the 95% reading is achieved. Location of density check to be determined by an AHTD inspector. Also, a random side-by-side check will be performed with the contractor and inspector.

2. After the desired height is achieved and density tests pass, the top (number of inches escape me) will be mixed with either lime or cement (predetermined and approved in the beginning of the planning) using a mixer and water, then packed with a roller. IIRC, a 95% proctor rating is needed to pass.

3.  In AR, they would then add a layer of SB2 rock on top of the treated dirt subgrade.  It would be mixed with water and compacted with a roller. A 98% proctor rating is required for the tests to pass.

4.  Put down an oil known as prime on top of the rock layer.

5.  Pave the road with 18" of concrete.

It has been almost 20 years since I did that work. Can't believe I still remembered that much.   :pan:

codyg1985

Did they have a standard procedure for bridging over difficult soils, such as fat clays or organic material?
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.