News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Right turns on to Wadsworth (or any main suburbia road in Denver)

Started by nengleman, May 01, 2014, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nengleman

This might sound idiotic but I need some help with something.  :pan:

I am originally from the Chicago suburbs where you always had to do a complete stop to turn right unless you have either a green light or a right green arrow. If you roll through it on a red and there is a cop there, you are getting a ticket (And photo enforced lights will automatically give you a $100 ticket).

Out in Denver, I notice that there are a good amount of intersections that have a right turn lane that also becomes the merging lane to the road you turned right on for like a good 500 feet (For example, Ralston turning right onto Wadsworth, either direction). From westbound Ralston to northbound Wadsworth, there isn't a right turn arrow but I have been honked for both stopping at the red light and for rolling through the red light. From eastbound Ralston to Southbound Wadsworth, there is a right turn arrow cycle but even when that right arrow light cycle ends, I'll get honked at for not going.

I have been called an idiot (and much worse) at these intersections for stopping on red and rolling the red (I usually stop because that makes so much sense). Can somebody please explain to me what the heck I am suppose to do?! If these are free flowing then all of these lights need a right green arrow on all the time.

Sincerely,
(Ugggh, another) new resident to Colorado (I love Colorado so much more).

briantroutman

Assuming you're talking about this:

I don't know the Colorado Vehicle Code, but personally, I would say the final arbiter of whether you have to come to a stop is whether the turning intersects the stop line. This specific intersection is a messy situation because the stop lines on Ralston are so horribly worn, they're hard to make out. It appears that at least the eastbound Ralston right turn does. It's also not clear whether pedestrian crossing is allowed across Ralston.

But either direction on Wadsworth, I think it's fairly clear that you need to come to a stop.

nengleman

Quote from: briantroutman on May 01, 2014, 06:50:45 PM
I don't know the Colorado Vehicle Code, but personally, I would say the final arbiter of whether you have to come to a stop is whether the turning intersects the stop line. This specific intersection is a messy situation because the stop lines on Ralston are so horribly worn, they're hard to make out. It appears that at least the eastbound Ralston right turn does. It's also not clear whether pedestrian crossing is allowed across Ralston.

That makes sense with the stop line. I am so used to Chicago suburbia traffic where you have to stop unless there is a green light or green arrow.

nengleman

Here is another example. This is going northbound on Wadsworth at Colfax. There is an SUV trying to turn right. That right turn lane does not have a stop lane but he is waiting.

Intersection: http://goo.gl/maps/z9wiW

Image 1 (crossing the intersection): http://goo.gl/maps/r2c0s

Image 2 (passed the intersection): http://goo.gl/maps/1qAgK

Milepost61

The physical island is what usually makes the difference. If there's no island that means you have to enter the intersection to turn right so normal rules apply. If there's an island it's usually free-flow so you don't have to stop unless there's a pedestrian or a yield sign.

Granted, there are always nuances so just do the best you can. Other people are jerks.

nengleman

Quote from: Milepost61 on May 01, 2014, 11:51:35 PM
If there's an island it's usually free-flow so you don't have to stop unless there's a pedestrian or a yield sign.

I appreciate it. It's been tough coming from a state that has photo enforced lights at every right turn pocket since those are the easiest tickets to get with those things.

http://goo.gl/maps/QhrwL

Milepost61

Quote from: nengleman on May 02, 2014, 09:44:28 AM

I appreciate it. It's been tough coming from a state that has photo enforced lights at every right turn pocket since those are the easiest tickets to get with those things.

http://goo.gl/maps/QhrwL

The intersection in that link looks like there aren't any no turn on red signs, and the right turn red light is a circle not an arrow, so how do they issue a ticket for a right on red? Looks to me like it would be legal.

roadfro

If there's an island it's usually free-flow so you don't have to stop unless there's a pedestrian or a yield sign.

If there is an island *and* there is an acceleration/merge lane for you to go into after the turn, then you wouldn't have to stop (except to yield to a pedestrian crossing to the right turn island). The presence of a yield sign generally means there is no acceleration/merge lane after the turn.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

nengleman

Quote from: Milepost61 on May 02, 2014, 11:31:07 PM
The intersection in that link looks like there aren't any no turn on red signs, and the right turn red light is a circle not an arrow, so how do they issue a ticket for a right on red? Looks to me like it would be legal.

Because those camera are so sensitive for any type of movement. It was $100 ticket with no exceptions. I got to the point that I would stop at the line and count to 3 before I would turn right. There are some people that will not even turn on red even if they had a green arrow (and a merging lane). A lot of Chicago suburbs are also very police driven cities and most suburban towns want you know that the police are out there watching you.

It makes sense now out here in Denver, and I really appreciate the comments.

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on May 03, 2014, 03:13:50 AM

If there is an island *and* there is an acceleration/merge lane for you to go into after the turn, then you wouldn't have to stop (except to yield to a pedestrian crossing to the right turn island). The presence of a yield sign generally means there is no acceleration/merge lane after the turn.

While I would tend to agree with what roadfro said, in California, IF there is a signal to the right of the driver, you have to stop before turning right even if there is an island and an acceleration/merge lane.

In the case of the GMSV link nengleman provided a couple of posts ago (http://goo.gl/maps/QhrwL), if that were located in California, you would *have* to stop before turning right.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Alps

Quote from: nengleman on May 03, 2014, 12:33:52 PM
Quote from: Milepost61 on May 02, 2014, 11:31:07 PM

Because those camera are so sensitive for any type of movement. It was $100 ticket with no exceptions. I got to the point that I would stop at the line and count to 3 before I would turn right. There are some people that will not even turn on red even if they had a green arrow (and a merging lane). A lot of Chicago suburbs are also very police driven cities and most suburban towns want you know that the police are out there watching you.

It makes sense now out here in Denver, and I really appreciate the comments.

I absolutely refuse to turn right on red when there is a camera.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.