News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rare old Arizona State highway sign on ebay

Started by Brian556, November 27, 2012, 08:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

What's the deal with this? A state route sign with no route number? WTF?

There is not even one of these in the shield gallery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Sign-Traffic-Highway-State-Route-Arizona-Swastika-Symbol-/121029773836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2defca0c

NE2

"I am selling this as a reproduction. This is a good reproduction and will probaly not find another one for sale on the internet or on ebay. It fooled me when I purchased it at an antique store in Florida."
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

I didn't read the description. This has got to be the best job of faking rust I've ever seen.

If this is a reproduction, does that mean that there were real ones exactly like it? I find it rather odd that it has no route number on it.

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on November 27, 2012, 09:17:14 PM
I didn't read the description. This has got to be the best job of faking rust I've ever seen.

If this is a reproduction, does that mean that there were real ones exactly like it? I find it rather odd that it has no route number on it.

I don't think that's a genuine route marker.  I think the real markers were state shaped with the swastika at the bottom. I've got a photo somewhere.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Yeah, that's a definite forgery. Looks like it's supposed to be embossed font era, yet the round font is simply modern Series E and the square font looks like something out of those "1000+ FONTS FOR WINDOWS" CDs.

Doubt it is even meant to replicate something that actually exists.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 28, 2012, 11:30:04 AM
Yeah, that's a definite forgery. Looks like it's supposed to be embossed font era, yet the round font is simply modern Series E and the square font looks like something out of those "1000+ FONTS FOR WINDOWS" CDs.

Doubt it is even meant to replicate something that actually exists.

Maybe it made by the same guy who made those hideous Route 66 signs a while back.

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on December 03, 2012, 09:40:33 PM

Maybe it made by the same guy who made those hideous Route 66 signs a while back.

it is.  same fake rust.

fake rust is easy.  it's the same as real rust.  just leave the sign out for a few months, hitting it with the sprinkler every so often.  I do that on signs I sandblast and then realize that they're so pitted that they're not worth repainting.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

iflypsa

Arizona never used that shape, font, or style. Nice fake California signage.

agentsteel53

Quote from: iflypsa on December 10, 2012, 11:29:25 PM

California never used that either!  especially not that horror of a "serifs painted on by drunken chimpanzees" font that they used for ARIZONA.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 11, 2012, 10:17:06 AM
Quote from: iflypsa on December 10, 2012, 11:29:25 PM

California never used that either!  especially not that horror of a "serifs painted on by drunken chimpanzees" font that they used for ARIZONA.

Well, I guess the PT Barnum Effect kicked in again: it sold for $99

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.