News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Original Squaw Peak Parkway signs?

Started by Sonic99, December 04, 2012, 12:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic99

I was reading the "Clearview" thread in the main section, and it for whatever reason reminded me of the original signs on the SR51 back in the early 90's before ADOT took over. From what I remember as a kid, the signs were highly reflective and had no overhead lights, and also used a different font in a larger size than what the normal DOT-spec signs are. Does anyone happen to have any more info on those signs, and hopefully a picture or two? I remember them being very unique, unlike anything on any other freeway in the Phoenix area. Thanks!
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

mapman1071

AZ 51 From Mcdowell Road to Glendale Avenue Was constructed and signed by the City Of Phoenix not ADOT. In the mid 90's The road was reconstructed and resigned by ADOT who took over the road.

Alex

Ones such as this?

Kevin has several photos of replaced signs on the AARoads AZ-51 guide. Look at the photos dated 10-01-03.

Sonic99

Yep, that's them! I remember how reflective they were and how the lettering was HUGE compared to other signs on other freeways.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

mapman1071

andy3175

Quote from: NE2 on December 06, 2012, 04:27:23 PM
Looks shopped.

Credit that to a crappy camera and a crummy day in Phoenix; I may have used the flash when taking the picture. Oh how I wish I had today's cameras for yesterday's pictures!

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Sonic99

Quote from: andy3175 on December 08, 2012, 02:04:17 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 06, 2012, 04:27:23 PM
Looks shopped.

Credit that to a crappy camera and a crummy day in Phoenix; I may have used the flash when taking the picture. Oh how I wish I had today's cameras for yesterday's pictures!

Regards,
Andy

+1 on that. I wish I could just go back in time with today's electronics and document the huge expansion of the Phoenix freeway system. I was born the same month that the sales tax got passed in 1985, so everything that's been built has been within my lifetime, and it was awesome to watch it happen when I was a kid.

NE2

Oh, I know it's not shopped. It just looks like a crappy computer-generated sign.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

iflypsa

Those 10/1/03 shots were hurriedly taken at the beginning of the 2003 reconstruction project, specifically to document those old non-standard signs. It was a crappy day and my first Canon pocket point and shoot that wasn't really made for road photography, sadly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.