News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

710 Freeway Widening Plans

Started by Bigmikelakers, May 29, 2012, 04:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmikelakers

Here are some maps of the proposed 710 Freeway widening. There are 5 proposals however, these maps are from Plan E. This plan is most elaborate of the proposals because it includes addng 4 truck only lanes (2 in each direction). I wonder if the 710 extension happens, would they extend the widening proposal past Whitter Bl up to I-10?

Bigmikelakers

This map is from Plan D. What makes this one unique is that it adds an I-5 NB to I-710 SB ramp and an I-710 NB to I-5 SB ramp as well.

Chris

That appears to be very expensive. Are they considering tolls?

Truck counts on the 710 are pretty high, maxing out at 26,500 trucks a day south of the Artesia Freeway.

TheStranger

Most intriguing to me is the possible construction of a mile-long viaduct along Atlantic Boulevard (pre-1964 Route 15) through Commerce to connect NB 710 with SB 5 & NB 5 to SB 710...

The most similar thing I can think of is the West Grand Avenue viaduct in East Oakland connecting 880 N with 80 W & 80 E to 880 S:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Exit+8A&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=37.820565,-122.298388&sspn=0.023188,0.036221&geocode=Ff0mQQIdy7O1-A%3BFQwLQQIdGeG1-A&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&z=15

However, that segment seems to be a tad shorter - and runs through a more industrial area than the apparently residential/commercial area of Commerce that the new 710 ramps would use.

As to why those ramps never existed before...this isn't too far north from where the Route 90 freeway would have traversed, so just as some of the 710/5 movements are covered via the Pomona Freeway/Route 60, the Route 90 extension would've covered the movements now being addressed with the Atlantic Boulevard proposal.
Chris Sampang

hm insulators

I see that it's a "study" at this point in the game. Which means the project might be completed before the next transit of the planet Venus across the sun (in the year 2117). :)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

blawp

Lots of info released yesterday by Caltrans.

Alps

blawp

www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/envdocs/docs/710corridor/

The complete environmental and traffic impact study, complete with maps and renderings.

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: blawp on July 03, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

The complete environmental and traffic impact study, complete with maps and renderings.

Nice. Looks like they're actually serious about this project. I thought the NIMBY's stopped the widening back in 2005. I'm loving the potential SPUI's in Long Beach. We don't have to many of those in Southern California. The only one that comes to mind is the I-10 at Archibald in Ontario.

national highway 1

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on July 03, 2012, 10:44:08 PM

Nice. Looks like they're actually serious about this project. I thought the NIMBY's stopped the widening back in 2005. I'm loving the potential SPUI's in Long Beach. We don't have to many of those in Southern California. The only one that comes to mind is the I-10 at Archibald in Ontario.
I guess the widening of the 710 will probably coincide with the extension north. In regard to the SPUIs, I guess SoCal imported them from the good freeways in Phoenix.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

roadfro

To clarify: It says on the page that it is the complete *Draft* EIS.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Interstatefan78

I think LA Metro should allow I-710 to have carpool lanes since there would be users from Long Beach who carpool up to east LA for work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.