Interstates that keep their lanes throughout

Started by bassoon1986, February 26, 2014, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

So theoretically, could one begin driving in the right lane at the start of Interstate xx and stay in that lane throughout that interstate? For example, in Louisiana going WB on I-20, the 2 lanes present at MS/LA state line end up being the same 2 lanes at the LA/TX line. However going EB, the right lane at the TX/LA line gets dropped later in downtown Shreveport when 5 lanes drop to 2 lanes at exits 18A and 19A. I haven't gotten any further than that.

I would think that the interstates across the west and midwest would keep their lanes throughout. It's the interstates that travel through the hearts of large cities that begin to have left lane merges and right lane drops that change the layout of lanes.

NWI_Irish96

Can't do it on I-65 northbound.  Traveling through Indy, you have to change lanes downtown to avoid ending up on I-70. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

Urban Prairie Schooner

I always
Quote from: bassoon1986 on February 26, 2014, 09:38:44 AM
So theoretically, could one begin driving in the right lane at the start of Interstate xx and stay in that lane throughout that interstate? For example, in Louisiana going WB on I-20, the 2 lanes present at MS/LA state line end up being the same 2 lanes at the LA/TX line. However going EB, the right lane at the TX/LA line gets dropped later in downtown Shreveport when 5 lanes drop to 2 lanes at exits 18A and 19A. I haven't gotten any further than that.

I would think that the interstates across the west and midwest would keep their lanes throughout. It's the interstates that travel through the hearts of large cities that begin to have left lane merges and right lane drops that change the layout of lanes.

I always found it amusing that what is the right lane of I-10 EB west of Baton Rouge would, until the recent widening in EBR Parish, become the left lane as you leave it.

West of LA 1 - right lane
LA 1 to I-110 - center lane across Miss. River bridge
I-110 split - left lane
Washington St ramp - right lane drops
Washington St to College Dr - right lane
College Dr - lane added on right
College Dr to I-12 - second lane from right (4 lanes total)
I-12 split - left lane (also branches to right lane of I-12)
(New left lane sprouts off side of I-10 just past split, where widening project begins)

vdeane

Definitely possible on I-590, as would be expected on most short interstates.  Adding NY 590 and Sea Breeze Dr, however, it gets more interesting.

Northbound it is possible from the center lane that comes off I-390, which is usually the center lane (except for inside the I-390 and I-490 interchanges), the right lane north of NY 104, and the only lane north of Titus Ave.  Before Sea Breeze Dr, however, it was the left lane north of Ridge Rd, despite that lane now going to Titus in the roundabout due to the restriping around NY 104 (the left used to end with the center and right continuing; now the right exits to NY 104 west and the center and left continue).

It has never been possible southbound.  Before Sea Breeze Dr, the left lane coming from Culver ended at NY 104 and the "right" lane became the left and exiting to I-490 (with the center and right lanes coming from each direction of NY 104, and becoming the left and center lanes on the other side of I-490).  Now, the one lane from Sea Breeze Dr (unlike northbound, it does not maintain two lanes between Ridge Rd and NY 104) causes NY 590 to enter itself at NY 104, with both the left and center lane coming from NY 104 east and the right from NY 104 west.

Somehow, I-81 does this in NY.  The right lane coming from PA and the right lane coming from Ontario both exist throughout the state.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

renegade

You can do that on I-94 west from Port Huron.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2014, 03:28:41 PM
I-89 and all of its 3dis.

Sure you don't want to save that 's' for another time?

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.