News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hawthorn Woods mayor ready to go 'Tiananmen Square' over Route 53 plan

Started by Brandon, May 11, 2015, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 18, 2015, 10:56:31 PM
Being one who often drives up in the area nearby to go to work, the traffic around Lake Cook Road and North into Lake County is absolutely unacceptable. What's even more annoying is that this same mayor would be one to throw a fit if there were any proposals to widen EXISTING roads (which needs to happen IN ADDITION to the 53 extension either way). It's these types of NIMBYs that have allowed existing 53 through Long Grove to be the hot two lane mess it is now (seriously, that road is just downright stressful). Those towns should be embarrassed by the way they prevented IDOT from building the proper infrastructure when they could have. I mean, it honestly could not have helped the economy there (actually, Long Grove especially has taken quite a hit, but you order your bed, you sleep in it). The development is coming, no stopping it, and if you want to have a country life, I'd suggest moving out to far Northwest McHenry County. I live in Arlington Heights, and I will tell you the adequacy of the highway system south of Lake Cook is a night and day difference, so much more sufficient here (not that we don't have our traffic issues here as well, but still).

People who want to "preserve the rural nature" of suburbs need to wake up and realize you cant stop progress, if you want "rural nature" move to Wyoming and get out of the way.

I-39

Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 18, 2015, 10:56:31 PM
Being one who often drives up in the area nearby to go to work, the traffic around Lake Cook Road and North into Lake County is absolutely unacceptable. What's even more annoying is that this same mayor would be one to throw a fit if there were any proposals to widen EXISTING roads (which needs to happen IN ADDITION to the 53 extension either way). It's these types of NIMBYs that have allowed existing 53 through Long Grove to be the hot two lane mess it is now (seriously, that road is just downright stressful). Those towns should be embarrassed by the way they prevented IDOT from building the proper infrastructure when they could have. I mean, it honestly could not have helped the economy there (actually, Long Grove especially has taken quite a hit, but you order your bed, you sleep in it). The development is coming, no stopping it, and if you want to have a country life, I'd suggest moving out to far Northwest McHenry County. I live in Arlington Heights, and I will tell you the adequacy of the highway system south of Lake Cook is a night and day difference, so much more sufficient here (not that we don't have our traffic issues here as well, but still).

The problem is, even if this is built, it still won't solve the traffic problem, as it's going to be built as a four lane 45 mph tolled parkway. That is not acceptable. This HAS to be built as a conventional six lane interstate expressway/tollway, nothing less.

If I were the tollway or Governor Rauner, I would reject this and order the planning commission to plan a regular six lane tollway. If they don't like it, too bad.

Joe The Dragon

45 will not stick any way even with a parkway build. Maybe 2 lanes with bus / part time shoulder running can work with out the full 6 lane build out.

Right now US 12 has 50-55 parts and people do more then that. US12 can use some upgrades maybe even full Jersey freeway.

I-39

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 19, 2015, 12:14:47 PM
45 will not stick any way even with a parkway build. Maybe 2 lanes with bus / part time shoulder running can work with out the full 6 lane build out.

Right now US 12 has 50-55 parts and people do more then that. US12 can use some upgrades maybe even full Jersey freeway.

Why can't it just be built with six lanes with wider inside shoulders for buses, like the Jane Addams Tollway west of Randall Road? That would solve the problem. 

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on May 19, 2015, 01:28:16 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 19, 2015, 12:14:47 PM

Why can't it just be built with six lanes with wider inside shoulders for buses, like the Jane Addams Tollway west of Randall Road? That would solve the problem.
Cost and land take? Maybe just 6 lanes with full shoulder can work.

Pete from Boston

I'd hope someone dumb enough to make such a classless analogy already has a dead political career.

Bickendan

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 19, 2015, 09:07:01 PM
I'd hope someone dumb enough to make such a classless analogy already has a dead political career.
Are you kidding? I see a future mayor of Chicago!

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on May 11, 2015, 06:54:42 PM
Hawthorn Woods mayor ready to go 'Tiananmen Square' over Route 53 plan

QuoteHawthorn Woods Mayor Joe Mancino is adamantly against the extension of Route 53 – invoking "Tiananmen Square" to explain his opposition to the road entering his village.

"That's going to be me, standing in front of the bulldozers," Mancino said. "They're going to pull my dead political body out from under them."

Yet it remains unclear whether the tollway will ever find the money to build its road and the bridge over Hawthorn Woods that Mancino detests.

What an asshole.
Ok Mayor. Suit yourself. Boys, let's get to work! Oh and Mayor, you just lost an exit access to your pathetic town.  EVIL :rofl:
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dietermoreno

Run his ass over, deny Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods the opportunity of collecting revenue from speeding over 45 ( I doubt the state police would enforce the speed limit because I haven't seen a single state police car on 53 and 355 since Rauner came to office), and add speed photo enforcement cameras in Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods and use the funds from speeding tickets to go to building the Rt 22 interchange.  Start out with no Rt 22 interchange to punish Hawthorn Wood's mayor and punish Long Grove for insisting that a stop light or round about be put at Rt 22 and Rt 53.  build the interchange once Hawthorn Woods and Long Grove give in and want an interchange and use the speeding revenue saved to go towards the interchange.

$95 toll  :-D

hobsini2

I would agree with no Route 22 interchange if the mayor of Lake Zurich was just as dumb.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

noelbotevera

Simple solution: Just bypass it! Go around the side of town! Apparently these guys don't get roads and opposition.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hobsini2

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 24, 2015, 02:54:40 PM
Simple solution: Just bypass it! Go around the side of town! Apparently these guys don't get roads and opposition.
Problem is the ROW that the state owns is just about the only place where the highway can go. The "otherside" would be on top of US 12 which already is a 4 lane highway with 45-55 mph zones in the area.

jakeroot

Quote from: dietermoreno on May 24, 2015, 12:44:25 AM
Run his ass over, deny Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods the opportunity of collecting revenue from speeding over 45 ( I doubt the state police would enforce the speed limit because I haven't seen a single state police car on 53 and 355 since Rauner came to office), and add speed photo enforcement cameras in Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods and use the funds from speeding tickets to go to building the Rt 22 interchange.  Start out with no Rt 22 interchange to punish Hawthorn Wood's mayor and punish Long Grove for insisting that a stop light or round about be put at Rt 22 and Rt 53.  build the interchange once Hawthorn Woods and Long Grove give in and want an interchange and use the speeding revenue saved to go towards the interchange.

Traditionally, this is the way that Chicago would solve problems. Just fuck with people 'till they give in.

hobsini2

Quote from: jakeroot on May 24, 2015, 06:48:02 PM

Traditionally, this is the way that Chicago would solve problems. Just fuck with people 'till they give in.
So? lol Let us who are affected by that ass clown deal with it our way.

I-39

I suggest sticking it to Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods by constructing this as a conventional six lane tollway and making them pay for it by levying special taxes in their towns (and their towns exclusively) to help pay for it, since they've been holding this up for 40 years.

Seriously, this mayor should be voted out next election. This is ludicrous he would compare this to Tiananmen Square.

noelbotevera

They could just be ruthless to the mayor and everybody else by just plowing the town to build the freeway. More cities should do this to finish their freeway system. It's using brute force, but I'd rather have a completed freeway.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jakeroot

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 24, 2015, 08:19:47 PM

I don't think you understood my comment. Chicago was known for being incredibly corrupt during the early 20th century. Dietermoreno seems to suggest, perhaps jokingly, that more corruption is the answer (by politically fucking with Hawthorne Woods).

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 24, 2015, 09:02:55 PM
They could just be ruthless to the mayor and everybody else by just plowing the town to build the freeway. More cities should do this to finish their freeway system. It's using brute force, but I'd rather have a completed freeway.

I felt the same way once.

You're going to have a lot of classes that teach about constitutional rights like "due process" and property rights and the like. 

Nice concept, in other words, but you can only use brute force in the Fictional Highways forum.

Brandon

Quote from: I-39 on May 24, 2015, 08:50:47 PM
I suggest sticking it to Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods by constructing this as a conventional six lane tollway and making them pay for it by levying special taxes in their towns (and their towns exclusively) to help pay for it, since they've been holding this up for 40 years.

Seriously, this mayor should be voted out next election. This is ludicrous he would compare this to Tiananmen Square.

I don't think you can do that constitutionally in Illinois (state constitution).

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 24, 2015, 09:02:55 PM

Why?  IDOT already owns the ROW with nothing in the way.  No plowing required (see the map I posted above).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Quote from: jakeroot on May 25, 2015, 12:27:53 AM

I don't think you understood my comment. Chicago was known for being incredibly corrupt during the early 20th century. Dietermoreno seems to suggest, perhaps jokingly, that more corruption is the answer (by politically fucking with Hawthorne Woods).
Jake, I knew what you were saying. Political corruption is nothing new in this area. We have sent in just the past two decade or so the Cicero Town President, the Dixon Auditor, numerous Congressmen (about 5 that I can think of without looking it up), and 2 sitting Governors to prison. When it comes to corruption, Illinois is leading the way.

jakeroot

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 25, 2015, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 25, 2015, 12:27:53 AM

Jake, I knew what you were saying. Political corruption is nothing new in this area. We have sent in just the past two decade or so the Cicero Town President, the Dixon Auditor, numerous Congressmen (about 5 that I can think of without looking it up), and 2 sitting Governors to prison. When it comes to corruption, Illinois is leading the way.

But that doesn't make it a viable option (outside of the Fictional Highway thread)?

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2015, 07:41:03 AM
Quote from: I-39 on May 24, 2015, 08:50:47 PM

I don't think you can do that constitutionally in Illinois (state constitution).

I was mostly joking, but if it were up to me, this would be built as a six lane tollway and Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods would be paying for a significant portion of this project since they've held it up and jacked up the construction cost as a result.

dietermoreno

Does any one know what actually is Illinois law or Federal law for someone who stands in front of road construction machines to attempt to stop construction work?  I'm guessing there has to be some law against standing in front of a bulldozer.

Then again, Illinois politicians do have a history of not obeying the law, with how many Illinois politicians we have in prison.

Then taser him?

mgk920

Quote from: dietermoreno on June 06, 2015, 07:43:14 PM
Does any one know what actually is Illinois law or Federal law for someone who stands in front of road construction machines to attempt to stop construction work?  I'm guessing there has to be some law against standing in front of a bulldozer.

Then again, Illinois politicians do have a history of not obeying the law, with how many Illinois politicians we have in prison.

Then taser him?

Trespassing?

Mike

Mr. Matté

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.