News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois to use more photo enforcement in work zones?

Started by Revive 755, November 02, 2012, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

Yeah, but are they actually going to enforce the speed via photo? Or is it another IDOT scare like the VMSs that warn of the "cops" ahead?

no idiocy here plz
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

mukade

They send you a ticket in the mail. Supposedly by the time you see the van, it is too late.

Brandon

No, it's an old thing, going back several years.  I thought IDOT had given up on it until I saw the signs downstate.  It looks like the downstate districts (Springfield and south) may be using photo enforcement, but the northern districts and the ISTHA are not.

Quote from: mukade on November 02, 2012, 11:33:23 PM
They send you a ticket in the mail. Supposedly by the time you see the van, it is too late.

Bull.  The vans are very easy to spot from a decent distance out (over 1/2 mile or more away).

Quote from: pianocello on November 02, 2012, 11:29:37 PM
Yeah, but are they actually going to enforce the speed via photo? Or is it another IDiOT scare like the VMSs that warn of the "cops" ahead?

I think it is a scare tactic based on what I've seen downstate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mukade

If the question is "have they actually used photo enforcement vans in construction zones in Illinois construction projects?", the answer is yes. I was told that by someone who saw them on the Edens and on the Tri-State projects. Will they use them? Who knows, but you have to ask yourself do you feel lucky (punk)? So to speak.

Indiana fortunately does not use these vans, but like anywhere else it is not unusual to see a state trooper monitoring speed in construction zones. Same thing with the automated photo enforcement vehicle except it uses no human judgment.

Although I have never seen the Illinois vans myself, my brother who lives and commutes there has. He said they are difficult to spot in congested construction zones although I think your speed is displayed before you pass it. From my own experience, I was a passenger in a car in Arizona when we passed by a photo enforcement vehicle. The driver (from Arizona) didn't see it until it was too late - I think he was going 7 MPH too fast, but I never asked if he received a ticket. He slowed down, though.

Quote from: Brandon on November 03, 2012, 12:37:47 AM
Quote from: mukade on November 02, 2012, 11:33:23 PM

Bull.  The vans are very easy to spot from a decent distance out (over 1/2 mile or more away).

If what you say is true, it would seem that few would ever get a ticket. The problem is that things are often in the way and construction zones often have a variety of other vehicles that could look similar. I can guarantee they make the state a lot of money because if they didn't, Illinois would not be expanding their use. Maybe the best rule is that if you see your speed displayed electronically in an Illinois work zone and you are speeding - slow down.

Photo Enforcement PDF

kphoger

until I saw the signs downstate . . . what I've seen downstate.

Where downstate have you seen it?  I'm curious because I used to drive a few hundred miles a day in southern Illinois for work.  The bain of I-57 south of Mount Vernon in those days were the motorcycle cops.  They would have one hiding with a RaDAR gun behind a bridge structure, or up above the highway on the bridge; and two or three ready to go on the shoulder, usually also hiding behind a bridge structure.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2012, 12:05:41 PM

Where downstate have you seen it?  I'm curious because I used to drive a few hundred miles a day in southern Illinois for work.  The bain of I-57 south of Mount Vernon in those days were the motorcycle cops.  They would have one hiding with a RaDAR gun behind a bridge structure, or up above the highway on the bridge; and two or three ready to go on the shoulder, usually also hiding behind a bridge structure.

Around St Louis, in the Collinsville District, just this past July.  No vans, but the signs were up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

adt1982

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2012, 12:05:41 PM

I saw then on 55 in Madison County on multiple occasions in the past 2 years, but I have never seen any van.  I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket from one down here either.

Please read our quoting guidelines.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.