The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Neat, I had no idea there used to be an I-415.

CL

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 28, 2011, 10:25:46 PM
Quote from: kharvey10 on July 28, 2011, 09:49:24 PM
This guy on Flickr got tons of old Utah highway signage photos back from 1960s and 1970s - the entire photostream is a must read

This guy on Flickr got his own thread here. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4045.0

Well then. This is all a tad awkward.
Infrastructure. The city.

vtk

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 24, 2011, 08:25:09 PM
This one's neat just for the "wait, what?" factor. (along US 23 SB between Marion and Delaware)

Experimental Test Pavement by LongestAugust, on Flickr

ODOT is apparently about to replace a lot of signs in District 6, including this one.  Virtual cookies to whoever gets the first photo of the Clearview version!
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Quillz

No idea if these still exist or not, but cutout US route shields using a reversed color scheme (white on black). Pretty neat.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Quillz on July 31, 2011, 04:54:00 AM

No idea if these still exist or not, but cutout US route shields using a reversed color scheme (white on black). Pretty neat.

Ferriday, Louisiana (across the river from Natchez).
I'm leaning towards no because the traffic light(s) were already replaced when I first visited Ferriday in 2007.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Quote from: Quillz on July 31, 2011, 04:54:00 AM

Is that black, or is it green, in an underexposed and/or overdeveloped photo?

D-Dey65

Here's a new one I saw on Hernando County Road 484 at the Good Neighbor Trail in Brooksville, Florida.

You'll find some of these on Jasmine Drive and Old Jasmine Drive too.

formulanone

^ I can't help but think "look out for falling bicycles".

roadfro

^^ That is a new sign in the 2009 MUTCD for use specifically with trail crossings, to eliminate the need for separate bicycle and pedestrian warning signs.

The version that was first proposed had the two symbols more side by side, with a stick-man rider on the bike. I liked that version better, as I've not really been a fan of the bicycle symbol without a rider on it.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

barcncpt44

i found this classic r-r xing sign in talladega, al; some of its button reflectors are missing.  and i also found this classic railroad signal that is still in service

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

6a

I've been telling myself to get off my ass and get some good shots of these as someday they'll be gone.  Today was that day (SR 315 in Columbus.)

Ian

A few old font NY 9N shields along the route between Hague and Bolton Landing.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

New York had a real nice custom font. Would have been great if that was used as the basis for Clearview.

D-Dey65

Quote from: barcncpt44 on August 05, 2011, 01:21:22 PM
i found this classic r-r xing sign in talladega, al; some of its button reflectors are missing.  and i also found this classic railroad signal that is still in service

Two more that won't show up.

Ian

Took these photos today in Doylestown. Looks like not all the US 611 signs are gone, although these ones are endangered as new signs are being put up along the by-pass:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

While vacationing in Oregon, I came across a couple of nice signs:

1961-era US route shields in Astoria. Notice the 101 shield also uses Series C legend, when the MUTCD would have called for Series A.

I think Oregon's "limitless" speed signs are really cool, but this one I saw in the Portland area looked particularly nice. Series C looks very good on the narrow shield, and the size proportions are nearly perfect.

okroads

"BUSINESS SOUTH" tab & old U.S. 31 shield in South Bend, IN:

xonhulu

Quote from: okroads on August 14, 2011, 10:09:16 PM

That is one sweet sign.  Is it still there, or is this an old photo?

okroads

Quote from: xonhulu on August 15, 2011, 11:57:04 AM

That is one sweet sign.  Is it still there, or is this an old photo?

I took that picture July 10 of this year, so I would assume it's still there.

vtk

spotted in Delaware OH today, on westbound US 36 / OH 37 just before the split...

A single-piece directional assembly for US 36 (left) and OH 37 (right), plus trailblazers for northbound (right) and southbound (left) US 23 and US 42, and finally, Temporary Truck OH 37 (left).  While green would probably be appropriate, the background of this sign is white.

No pic because I was on duty.

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on August 17, 2011, 02:15:51 AM
spotted in Delaware OH today, on westbound US 36 / OH 37 just before the split...

A single-piece directional assembly for US 36 (left) and OH 37 (right), plus trailblazers for northbound (right) and southbound (left) US 23 and US 42, and finally, Temporary Truck OH 37 (left).  While green would probably be appropriate, the background of this sign is white.

No pic because I was on duty.

I keep meaning to get a picture of that one. I'll probably be heading up there near the end of the month, I'll see if I can get one then.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

I think someone may have mentioned the ancient signage on the south side of Columbus.  I was in the area today (with my cell phone, not my "good" camera) so I took some pictures...

I also realized today that I don't think I've ever seen ODOT replace the signage along most of the North Freeway, making that at least 20 years old.  I didn't get a chance to take any pics there today, however.

mobilene

I grew up in South Bend and still have family there, so I drive Bus. 31 a lot.  Several of these signs (both the 31 shield and the Business South tab) still stand along the road.  They've been there since before I was a kid in the 1970s.  I presume the reason they still exist is because they were there when 31 was routed around town and the city doesn't care to replace them as long as they still work!

Here's another, this one downtown, where Bus. 31 splits with the southbound going down Main St and the northbound coming up Michigan/St. Joseph Sts.

And another, on the south side:

jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

Quillz

I couldn't get a pic, but I was driving on OR-42 and came across an old cutout 42 shield, the old kind that had the eagle on top.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on August 19, 2011, 11:48:44 AM
I couldn't get a pic, but I was driving on OR-42 and came across an old cutout 42 shield, the old kind that had the eagle on top.

neato!  here I had thought the only two eagles left were both 126es.  I'll have to check that out.  it's on current mainline 42?

one of the 126es is on a current alignment; the other is down the wrong way of a one-way street on an old alignment whose direction was reversed in the 80s.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.