News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unconventional uses of Clearview

Started by Pink Jazz, September 30, 2014, 01:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, does anyone know examples of unconventional uses of Clearview?  Examples would be its use on negative contrast signs, or other such applications where it typically isn't used (a Clearview stop sign?).

I know that there is one unconventional use in Queen Creek at the intersection of Ellsworth and Chandler Heights, where the street name blades have a yellow strip below them stating "NOT A THROUGH STREET" in black Clearview text.  Clearview isn't supposed to be used on negative contrast signs.

jakeroot

Theoretically, there are thousands of examples of unconventional uses of Clearview. The states with the most examples of unconventional uses (in general) are those states where only state highways and interstates are managed by the state, and everything else is either city or county. The state, as a whole, is more likely to follow the MUTCD since they receive the most federal funding for their road work. As cities receive most of their funding via citizens, federal funding is hardly an issue and they don't really care what the government thinks of their road signs (that's a guess and I'd appreciate if someone could clarify whether or not that's true -- it's just what I've always believed).

In regards to the street blade you posted (GSV link for those unaware), there isn't really a standard street blade design anywhere, so I wouldn't necessarily count this as wrong.

dfwmapper

After reading some of the posts on here, you'd think the only conventional usage of Clearview is to mark the gates of hell.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 30, 2014, 03:47:28 AM
After reading some of the posts on here, you'd think the only conventional usage of Clearview is to mark the gates of hell.

Nope, no Clearview there.

vdeane

The Clearview Expressway doesn't have any either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Huntsville has some signs with black Clearview on a yellow background on I-565.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman

At one time, PennDOT posted a huge bunch of black on yellow safety related signs (like Buckle Up Next Million Miles) in Clearview.  However, since the TTI negative contrast study and subsequent FHWA recommendations, most of these signs have been removed - but not replaced with Highway Gothic versions (thankfully).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 30, 2014, 12:57:50 PM
Huntsville has some signs with black Clearview on a yellow background on I-565.

Heh. The FHWA's Clearview policy page's discussion of what not to do includes some negative-contrast examples from here in Northern Virginia that I pass quite frequently. They also have a couple from Maryland.

Westbound I-66 between Nutley Street and Chain Bridge Road (VA-243 and VA-123, respectively)–I find the use of hyphens instead of dashes in the time and day ranges to be the most egregious failure on this sign:

Southbound I-395 approaching the Duke Street (VA-236) interchange:

Not negative-contrast, but they also cite this sign at the same interchange on southbound I-395 for the fraction format (signs on both sides of that road have this style of fraction) and the inadequate margin space:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Note the purple section and the exit only tab.

Center-mounted clearview exit tab.

Parking garage crossing signage - Normal.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

Quote from: Brandon on September 30, 2014, 01:46:48 PM

Note also the outdated pedestrian crossing symbol sign which still shows the crosswalk lines.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on September 30, 2014, 01:00:28 PM
At one time, PennDOT posted a huge bunch of black on yellow safety related signs (like Buckle Up Next Million Miles) in Clearview.  However, since the TTI negative contrast study and subsequent FHWA recommendations, most of these signs have been removed - but not replaced with Highway Gothic versions (thankfully).
Many of those signs still exist in southern & southeastern PA; Route 41 in Chester & Lancaster Counties come to mind.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

From the perspective of a Washingtonian, IDOT seems to be the worst abuser of Clearview in the country, surpassing PennDOT and Texas. I wouldn't have said that until just a few hours ago while browsing the Chicago area's BGSs.

lordsutch

White on purple is a positive contrast application, and thus permitted by the interim approval (even though purple is not listed as an acceptable color in the FAQ, since purple background was approved after the IA).

1995hoo

Quote from: lordsutch on September 30, 2014, 07:59:39 PM

White on purple is a positive contrast application, and thus permitted by the interim approval (even though purple is not listed as an acceptable color in the FAQ, since purple background was approved after the IA).

I believe that even though the color scheme is OK, the FHWA opposes the use of Clearview for all-caps text, such as the "I-PASS ONLY" message on that sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignGeek101

Negative Contrast Clearview is used all over my city.

Speed Limit Signs (About 95% of the speed limit signs are clearview).

This one is brand new (wasn't there in June).

City Route Shield and non - FHWA direction sign (Clearview accounts for about 50% of the shields now).

Street Blade (mostly FHWA Series B,C for now)

BGS - notice the clearview numerals (about 5 years old)

I now there are Clearview stop signs in BC. Don't have a picture.

Henry

Quote from: vdeane on September 30, 2014, 12:50:23 PM
That seems a bit odd, doesn't it?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

spooky

On I-10, some of the signs for the Clearview Parkway are in Clearview, some are in Highway Gothic.

Henry

Quote from: spooky on October 02, 2014, 11:04:18 AM

On I-10, some of the signs for the Clearview Parkway are in Clearview, some are in Highway Gothic.
Does anyone have photos of those Clearview font Clearview Parkway signs?

EDIT: Just found one photo of that sign...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: jake on September 30, 2014, 04:35:50 PM

From the perspective of a Washingtonian, IDOT seems to be the worst abuser of Clearview in the country, surpassing PennDOT and Texas. I wouldn't have said that until just a few hours ago while browsing the Chicago area's BGSs.

If you think that's bad, I've got lots more photographs of Chicagoland Clearview BGSs from IDOT and ISTHA.

I could make more than a few of you green with illness from them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Most every Clearview sign in Oklahoma has a Clearview exit tab or Exit Only panel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2014, 01:03:42 PM
Quote from: jake on September 30, 2014, 04:35:50 PM

If you think that's bad, I've got lots more photographs of Chicagoland Clearview BGSs from IDOT and ISTHA.

I could make more than a few of you green with illness from them.

Do share (in the gallery section, of course).

cl94

If you want black on yellow or white, come to New York and see what NYSTA has installed around Buffalo lately. Every exit only tab is Clearview. The assemblies for I-290 on I-90 east have "last exit before toll" in black on white Clearview. I shudder every time I pass them.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Quote from: cl94 on October 03, 2014, 06:35:45 PM
If you want black on yellow or white, come to New York and see what NYSTA has installed around Buffalo lately. Every exit only tab is Clearview. The assemblies for I-290 on I-90 east have "last exit before toll" in black on white Clearview. I shudder every time I pass them.

The Thruway should...just not use Clearview? FHWA should completely stop this madness by pulling the plug on Clearview entirely and forcing all new installations to use the FHWA series. Heck, do more field testing with E(hm) since it sure would be the crap out of the Clearview abominations that we tend to see!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on October 03, 2014, 06:54:12 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 03, 2014, 06:35:45 PM

The Thruway should...just not use Clearview? FHWA should completely stop this madness by pulling the plug on Clearview entirely and forcing all new installations to use the FHWA series. Heck, do more field testing with E(hm) since it sure would be the crap out of the Clearview abominations that we tend to see!

Sorry Zeffy, you kind of walked right into this:

jakeroot

Bumping an old thread because I thought this sign was pretty interesting. Unconventional for British Columbia? Definitely no. But as a whole, certainly using Clearview on the Tsunami Evac Route sign is uncommon:

Photo by Clayton Perry Photoworks on Flickr.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.