News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest BGS in Your Area

Started by SignGeek101, January 15, 2015, 11:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on January 19, 2015, 01:05:29 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2015, 12:57:41 PM
Actually, the problem with the Georgia sign is that APLs are only allowed if there's an option lane, which this example does not have.

GDOT appears to care not one whit about that particular rule. Apart from perhaps wasting money on unnecessarily large signs, I don't really have a problem with it, as there's no loss of accuracy or clarity (assuming, again, that the arrows are actually lined up correctly).

They must have had some trouble deciding on the sign... GDOT replaced the signs quite a few times in the last decade until finally settling on the APL-style.

SignGeek101

Another big one, courtesy of new Google Streetview of these very new signs.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/Y1A6T

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 22, 2015, 11:32:39 PM
Another big one, courtesy of new Google Streetview of these very new signs.

I've been waiting very patiently for a Lower Mainland Street View update. Thank Christ, it's finally here.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 16, 2015, 04:40:42 AM

From the AARoads Gallery

The I-5 pull-through sign in the photo above is approximately 400 sq ft (40 ft wide by 10 ft high) and is probably one of the largest in the state (there's another pull through in Sacramento also spanning 4 lanes of traffic).  The only way there's a larger California BGS is a pull-through sign spanning 5+ lanes and I don't know of any freeway that wide.

I think one of these two signs, which are about seven miles south of the above-picture's location on the 5, might be bigger. 

From the AARoads Gallery

From the AARoads Gallery

Of humorous note:  When Caltrans originally installed the panels in the second photo, they had a button copy "San" on the left panel of the 5 freeway pullthrough, and about 40 feet to the right on the larger right sign panel, the word "Diego".  The offset shield and cardinal direction are original.

MarkF

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 25, 2015, 10:55:28 PM
Of humorous note:  When Caltrans originally installed the panels in the second photo, they had a button copy "San" on the left panel of the 5 freeway pullthrough, and about 40 feet to the right on the larger right sign panel, the word "Diego".  The offset shield and cardinal direction are original.
Yes, left lane goes to San, right lanes go to Diego:

PurdueBill

That is bonkers.  The I-5 shield and direction may appear way off-center now, but when the signs were separate, the shield and direction were perfectly centered on their own panel!  Poor San all alone there.

thenetwork

roadman

Quote from: thenetwork on January 26, 2015, 02:29:36 PM
Grand Junction, CO:

Prior to the 2009 MUTCD mandate, this was one of exactly four arrow per lane signs in the entire country.  Interesting how we based a national standard on only FOUR signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NE2

Quote from: roadman on January 26, 2015, 04:31:42 PM
Prior to the 2009 MUTCD mandate, this was one of exactly four arrow per lane signs in the entire country.  Interesting how we based a national standard on only FOUR signs.
Two in Sacramento, and what's the fourth?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Quote from: thenetwork on January 26, 2015, 02:29:36 PM
Grand Junction, CO:

[Johnny Carson] I did not know that [/JC]

And yet it's STILL wrong -- The BL-70/US-50 East arrows should be straight arrows, not curving to the right!  Then again, nearly all the BGSs along the loop have arrow errors of one way or another:

Exhibit A:  https://www.google.com/maps/@39.077915,-108.497053,3a,75y,260.74h,86.72t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXTocx9mOrDVj1K42xbf-ZQ!2e0

Buffaboy

Just for shits and giggles, I think this is the most lanes Buffalo is signed for in NYS:

I could be wrong though. And if that ending lane is ever extended, we're talking 4 arrows...
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

odditude

Tall, even for an APL, on I-95 SB in DE south of the I-295 merge. It's tall enough that you actually have to take your eyes off the road to read it.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

Quote from: NE2 on January 26, 2015, 04:47:23 PM
Colorado had one. A Michael Summa photo on I-70 at exit 288 shows an APL. The photo is dated 1987. Not sure if that sign is dated 1987 too, but that's all four I guess (the one shown above, and the Michael Summa photo I mentioned, and the two in Sacramento already mentioned).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cl94

Four signs in the United States. Most other countries use some form of APL.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

SignGeek101

Quote from: cl94 on October 19, 2015, 06:04:07 PM

I have seen FHWA APL's in BC, meaning they have been using them since before 2006 (since BC went Clearview in 2006).

Any idea when the first APL was installed in the US?

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 19, 2015, 09:11:09 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 19, 2015, 06:04:07 PM

I have seen FHWA APL's in BC, meaning they have been using them since before 2006 (since BC went Clearview in 2006).

Any idea when the first APL was installed in the US?

Going from Alps's site and AARoads, 1982 or earlier.

I'm counting one more Colorado sign pre-2006. Alps has one at Exit 269A on I-70 WB. AARoads has a modern version dating from 2004. Adding these up, we have:

I-70 Exit 269A
I-70 Exit 288
US 6/US 50/BL 70

That makes 5 if we include the 2 Sacramento ones.

jbnv

Mine: Northern terminus of I-310 west of New Orleans. Diagrammatic signs like this are apparently out of style in Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

slorydn1

How about this monstrosity on I-40 westbound approaching exit 283 in the RDU area. The first time I saw it I cringed as a semi was approaching it, I did't think it was going to make it underneath at first. Of course, it did with many feet to spare, LOL.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

theline

Quote from: Rothman on January 04, 2016, 10:30:55 AM

Made me wonder about if the new "New York City" BGS on the Thruway could be considered "larger":

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6942352,-73.8442651,3a,75y,154.96h,99.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snaqh6egKAa5qdHWQgLZSxw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nope. :D

Functionally, that seems to be the world's largest reassurance marker.

cl94

Quote from: theline on January 04, 2016, 06:45:07 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 04, 2016, 10:30:55 AM

Made me wonder about if the new "New York City" BGS on the Thruway could be considered "larger":

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6942352,-73.8442651,3a,75y,154.96h,99.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snaqh6egKAa5qdHWQgLZSxw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nope. :D

Functionally, that seems to be the world's largest reassurance marker.

It is and a version of the same sign existed before it was widened, except that one made slightly more sense because it was at a lane drop. With the reconstruction, I have no idea why it was retained, let alone why they installed a new gantry for a new sign that is unnecessary.

r-dub

Back to Colorado, I believe this is the biggest BGS/APL sign along the Front Range...

https://goo.gl/maps/fkx47JwJ6Hq

The largest one I found in the Denver metro is on I-70 eastbound at the I-225 exit:

https://goo.gl/maps/hhAC7hmh8V62
Ryan "r-dub"
Roadgeekin' Colorado Style

cjk374

Quote from: Zeffy on January 19, 2015, 11:05:47 AM
Quote from: Tom958 on January 18, 2015, 10:06:24 PM

This is what I don't like about Georgia's "APL" signs they seem to be placing around Atlanta - unless I'm blind, the lane the car taking the photo is in is not clearly marked - are you in the straight lane, are you in the exit lane for I-20? This could be a possible candidate for Redesign This!, I already have a few solutions in mind...

Quote from: Alex on January 16, 2015, 03:36:12 PM
This wretched assembly easily comes to mind:

Same with this one. The point of APL signs is that the arrows are positioned over EACH lane! I don't see how diagrammatic signs were so confusing when these signs have arrows that don't match up to anywhere!

Construction is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

On the Georgia sign, I see the EXIT half of an EXIT ONLY label...split by the lane arrow. That tells me that that lane and the one next to it exit to I-20 east to Augusta.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mrsman

For the Naples/Tampa sign above, it seems that the right lane is closed off due to construction.  Probably when there is no construction the sign is more properly aligned between the two highways, but temporarily it is not.  This saves the DOT the trouble of changing the whole sign, instead they simply re-position the arrows.

In that context, I would prefer they put black arrows on orange signs that are attached to the BGS.  That would at least alert people to the temporary nature of the marking.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.