News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

I haven't been over this low-water bridge (SR 624, former SR 12, over the Shenandoah River), but just going over it on the Goog scares me. It's the lack of appreciable guardrails.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr. Matté

Not exactly answering the question posed in the title, but I occasionally bike up CR 628 in Mansfield Township, Burlington Co., NJ and pass under the NJ Turnpike PA Extension bridges and the I-295 bridges.

The Turnpike bridges, built in the 1950s, still look relatively stable and clean as shown below:

while the I-295 bridges, built in the 1970s, are all rusted and ugly:

(LATE EDIT: The 295 bridges were repainted green in Aug. 2015 per the dates stenciled in on the sides of the bridge)

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on September 28, 2014, 04:09:16 PM
I haven't been over this low-water bridge (SR 624, former SR 12, over the Shenandoah River), but just going over it on the Goog scares me. It's the lack of appreciable guardrails.

There are low water bridges similar to that all over western Arkansas, but they aren't nearly as long as this one. The length plus the lack of rails would conspire to make this bridge scary.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: NE2 on September 28, 2014, 04:09:16 PM
Yeah, I would say your bridge certainly beats this one:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.533152,-74.320843&spn=0.000008,0.005225&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.533152,-74.320843&panoid=ah0JVPde-eO24SkkCiF7Kg&cbp=12,147.25,,0,0.83

SteveG1988

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 28, 2014, 07:21:45 PM
Not exactly answering the question posed in the title, but I occasionally bike up CR 628 in Mansfield Township, Burlington Co., NJ and pass under the NJ Turnpike PA Extension bridges and the I-295 bridges.

The Turnpike bridges, built in the 1950s, still look relatively stable and clean as shown below:

while the I-295 bridges, built in the 1970s, are all rusted and ugly:

Thing is, the 295 bridge may just be on a differnet maintence schedule for painting than the turnpike bridge. Or the paint used wasn't as good due to it being a different type.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Fred Defender

I grew up on the West Coast of Florida. People thought I was crazy, but I used to love crossing the old Sunshine Skyway Bridge on my motorcycle. As a matter of fact, I crossed it on my bike the day after they reopened the remaining span after the Summit Venture brought the southbound span down in 1980. The old bridge had ab out a quarter mile of steel grating at the top. So, was it scary to me? Not at all. It was always an adventure for me.

Even though I was born in Ohio and lived there until I was 8-years-old, until early-October, I had never crossed the Ironton-Russell Bridge over the Ohio River. It's not that I was "scared" crossing it; it was just a little unnerving - not unlike the first time I got caught at a red light while stopped beneath an overpass in Anaheim, CA. I guess my jitteryness stems from the fact that I remember the collapse of the Silver Bridge over the Ohio at Gallipolis in 1967. But crossing the Ironton Bridge IS an experience.
AGAM

silverback1065

davewiecking

The Cabin John Arch in Cabin John, MD, back when it was still 2 lanes. In a school bus, with another school bus coming the other way. But no, I wasn't driving.

SteveG1988

I crossed this after rush hour, but in the early night of winter, it was pitch black. The Harry W. Nice Bridge in MD/VA, in a loaded semi, it was scary due to the severe angle the road takes once you're over the hump, heading towards VA, feels like you're going down a really big log flume. I could not imangine doing this in the rain, you would risk locking your brakes, or losing drive wheel traction if you put the engine brake on. I can see why they want to replace it, the severe approach angles coupled with being just one lane each way makes it somewhat dangerous, as it serves as a bypass of DC and a lot of trucks take it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

SPUI: I literally wouldn't cross that bridge.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 13, 2014, 08:53:59 AM
I crossed this after rush hour, but in the early night of winter, it was pitch black. The Harry W. Nice Bridge in MD/VA, in a loaded semi, it was scary due to the severe angle the road takes once you're over the hump, heading towards VA, feels like you're going down a really big log flume. I could not imangine doing this in the rain, you would risk locking your brakes, or losing drive wheel traction if you put the engine brake on. I can see why they want to replace it, the severe approach angles coupled with being just one lane each way makes it somewhat dangerous, as it serves as a bypass of DC and a lot of trucks take it.

The current Harry W. Nice Bridge (U.S. 301 over the Potomac River estuary) is narrow (it was opened to traffic in 1940) and climbing the bridge over the navigation channel is indeed steep. 

MdTA has environmental approval to replace the bridge, and the replacement span (4 lanes) is in preliminary engineering.  They have not identified funding for the replacement bridge at this point either, but with two new projects (I-95 ETLs and Md. 200 (ICC)) now complete and generating revenue, it may become easier to fund the replacement.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

On the surface, the George Milroy Bridge (outside Tacoma, Washington) appears to be just any other bridge. But when you actually cross it, the whole thing shakes back and forth and you get the feeling that it might not hold for much longer. It doesn't help that it's the only bridge between Fife and Puyallup, Washington, and is subject to massive amounts of vehicular traffic everyday, straining the 83 year-old bridge. I'm fine with the 9 foot lanes but not on bridges that regularly assist trucks across a river. I'm not sure how much longer it has, but if I know Pierce County, the whole fucking thing is gonna have to wash away before a replacement is considered.

SteveG1988

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 13, 2014, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 13, 2014, 08:53:59 AM

The current Harry W. Nice Bridge (U.S. 301 over the Potomac River estuary) is narrow (it was opened to traffic in 1940) and climbing the bridge over the navigation channel is indeed steep. 

MdTA has environmental approval to replace the bridge, and the replacement span (4 lanes) is in preliminary engineering.  They have not identified funding for the replacement bridge at this point either, but with two new projects (I-95 ETLs and Md. 200 (ICC)) now complete and generating revenue, it may become easier to fund the replacement.

Question is, will it run into woodrow wilson bridge type issues, if they try to build longer approaches that make the angle more gentle.

One solution is to have it curve, a fairly gentle curve to the east and then back west for the high level section, repeated on the other side.

Another idea would be, have it just be a really long approach on either side, but without the flat spots.
Roads Clinched

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jakeroot on December 14, 2014, 01:43:58 AM
On the surface, the George Milroy Bridge (outside Tacoma, Washington) appears to be just any other bridge. But when you actually cross it, the whole thing shakes back and forth and you get the feeling that it might not hold for much longer. It doesn't help that it's the only bridge between Fife and Puyallup, Washington, and is subject to massive amounts of vehicular traffic everyday, straining the 83 year-old bridge. I'm fine with the 9 foot lanes but not on bridges that regularly assist trucks across a river. I'm not sure how much longer it has, but if I know Pierce County, the whole fucking thing is gonna have to wash away before a replacement is considered.

The Harry Nice Bridge in Maryland (discussed in this thread) definitely shakes and sways as big trucks crosses it. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 14, 2014, 09:01:21 AM
Question is, will it run into woodrow wilson bridge type issues, if they try to build longer approaches that make the angle more gentle.

One solution is to have it curve, a fairly gentle curve to the east and then back west for the high level section, repeated on the other side.

Another idea would be, have it just be a really long approach on either side, but without the flat spots.

The selected alternative is a new four lane bridge just north of the existing structure, with the 1940 bridge "taken out of service" (and presumably demolished).

You can read the EIS documents here.

D-Dey65

I've never really had any concern about the Triborough Bridge before, but when I was leaving NYC, I took that instead of my usual route across the Cross Bronx from either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone, and I'd have to say the section over Bronx Kill bounced like a MoFo. There were also some repairs going on at the Major Deegan interchange, and I told one of the construction workers that. He just laughed.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 22, 2015, 11:19:50 PM
I've never really had any concern about the Triborough Bridge before, but when I was leaving NYC, I took that instead of my usual route across the Cross Bronx from either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone, and I'd have to say the section over Bronx Kill bounced like a MoFo. There were also some repairs going on at the Major Deegan interchange, and I told one of the construction workers that. He just laughed.
I rarely ever am in a situation where I would need to use the Triborough, but when I have opportunity to do so, I can never justify the expense when there are free options nearby - and at least across the East River, a number of more interesting crossings.  Of course, this is for weekend leisure / pre/post event / passing-through drives, and not for a daily commute.

cl94

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on January 24, 2015, 06:09:54 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 22, 2015, 11:19:50 PM
I rarely ever am in a situation where I would need to use the Triborough, but when I have opportunity to do so, I can never justify the expense when there are free options nearby - and at least across the East River, a number of more interesting crossings.  Of course, this is for weekend leisure / pre/post event / passing-through drives, and not for a daily commute.

Triboro is really only good if you're going somewhere east of the Van Wyck or started on the GWB
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

texaskdog

The bridge off of MN 23 at Oliver, WI, shakes when you drive over it. 

Jardine

Highway 183 bridge just north of Pisgah Iowa over the Soldier River had a pronounced sustained vibration during high water condition around 1996 (or 7?).  Bridge also exhibited stronger irregular vibrations when tree limbs were chewed up underneath from the force of the water.

JakeFromNewEngland

The old Q Bridge in New Haven, CT was definitely a scary bridge. It was super old, there were no shoulders, and there was always a traffic jam. I always had the fear it would collapse one day.

KEK Inc.

Alaskan Wy Viaduct.  Pray an earthquake won't happen while driving on that thing. 
Take the road less traveled.

kkt

Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 02, 2015, 03:01:03 PM
Alaskan Wy Viaduct.  Pray an earthquake won't happen while driving on that thing. 

Or parking under it.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2015, 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 02, 2015, 03:01:03 PM

Or parking under it.

Or while being anywhere near it. When that thing goes, I can only assume the entire waterfront is going with it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.