News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Abbreviation for Expressway: Expwy or Expy?

Started by Henry, May 22, 2013, 10:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

I read "Exwy" somewhere and that is what our company uses

ET21

Expy, but I've seen X-way in random rural locations
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Branson calls the road "Shepherd of the Hills Expwy" on signs, yet Google Maps labels it "Shepherd of the Hills Expy".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

machias

I prefer "Expwy" just because it seems natural to me. I've seen Exprwy, I think somewhere in Pennsylvania if I'm remembering correctly, and that seemed cumbersome. If I had to shorten it, I'd go with Exwy.

roadfro

I prefer "Expwy" also because it seems like a more natural abbreviation form. "Expressway" doesn't really appear on signs in Nevada all that often since we don't use that term much, so I don't have a baseline of familiarity.

FWIW: I just looked up the MUTCD standard abbreviation. It's "Expwy".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.