News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Button copy in Cleveland or Cincinnati?

Started by AsphaltPlanet, August 09, 2013, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Are there any sections of routes in either Cleveland or Cincinnati that are still primarily signed with button copy?  I have my camera and am poised to do a night run, but I haven't seen a whole lot of signs to work with.  Any insight appreciated.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Brandon

There's still a shitload in Ohio, but it's being replaced with Clearview.  The only road without button copy I know of is the Turnpike.  They replaced their signs years ago, and I'm not sure if they had button copy during the '80s.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

AsphaltPlanet

Well, so far I have driven I-90 east of Cleveland, I-271 around the east side of Cleveland, the Shoreway and I-71 south of Cleveland to Strongville, and haven't found any button copy remaining.  I am looking for specific corridors, because I don't want to drive around aimlessly in the middle of the night in search of button copy.

Even Ohio 11 north of I-90 was pretty well all clearview (though there were a few button copy signs remaining).
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

nwi_navigator_1181

It's a small section, but I'm sure I-490 (and the Interchanges between I-77, I-71, and I-90) still have button copy signage. At least they were there when my wife and I visited Cleveland in 2012.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

juscuz410

Your best bet to find button copy would be in Metro Columbus. There's still a ton on I-71, SR-315 & I-270. SR-161 freeway between Hamilton Rd & US-62 in New Albany there's some more. US-23 in Delaware County there's some more.

AsphaltPlanet

yeah, there is still lots of button copy in Columbus and Cincinnati, though I am still surprised at how little there is in Cleveland.

I took some night photos of some tonight, I was hoping it was going to turn out better.

I might go out and try again later tonight:

hbelkins

There's still some button copy on I-75 in Cincy between I-74 and I-275.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

There was some button copy still around the I-90/I-80/OH-2 interchange area, including some button copy shields for both I-80/I-90 when I was in that area last year around this time.

seicer

Cincinnati:

* I-71 south of Mason-Montgomery in the northern suburbs is all button copy until Fort Washington Way/downtown. This was installed sometime after the concrete pavement was paved around 1996.
* An original I-71 guide sign was just removed on Ridge Avenue.
* I-75 still has some button copy remaining closer to downtown. Some very old I-75 overhead gantries were just removed on Mitchell Avenue on the east side of the i-change.

Alps

State route freeways are the last to be replaced, so drive among those for awhile. Also drive the exit ramps and troll the side streets for button copy entrance signs.

agentsteel53

is it getting that tough to find?  I saw plenty in my last visit to Ohio, in 2010.  so much that I did not think it potentially endangered.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

seicer

US 52 in southern Ohio has plenty and it's pretty old. But yeah, it's getting much harder.

formulanone

The Akron-Canton area has lots of button copy left along Interstates 76/77.

The few remaining button copy signs I've found in the Cleveland area were restricted to the blue Food/Gas signs, although many of the arterials leading to the interstates had some button copy.

vtk

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 10, 2013, 10:50:34 PM
yeah, there is still lots of button copy in Columbus and Cincinnati, though I am still surprised at how little there is in Cleveland.

I took some night photos of some tonight, I was hoping it was going to turn out better.

I might go out and try again later tonight:

I was going to say there's still quite a bit on I-71 in Cincinnati, but it looks like you found it.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.