News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AA Highway

Started by Bryant5493, April 02, 2009, 09:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryant5493

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_2wkCRmUU

I saw this video awhile back. I was just wondering if any changes have been made to this highway, since this crash.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

njroadhorse

Wasn't the AA Highway part of an I-74 proposal that Kentucky would acutally build?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

seicer

The Interstate 74 proposal along Kentucky's AA Highway died much the same death as Ohio's proposal for the same highway along US 23 and Ohio Route 32, and like the Interstate 73 proposal through Ohio. The AA Highway handles traffic well, although it needs upgrades and modifications. It is a major east-west route that connects the Cincinnati market to points east, and can save travelers two hours that they would otherwise need to take Interstates 75-64, US 52, or Ohio Route 32/US 23 as an alternative.

There is a proposal to widen the AA Highway to four-lanes eastward to Maysville. The current four-lane alignment ends at the Campbell County border, and the cross-section for that four-lane segment is two 12' through lanes and a 12' right shoulder, with a mountable median. Access is limited and there is one interchange at US 27. There are driveways that access the highway, but the access is controlled. The four-lane extension east would most likely take the form of other rural Kentucky four-lane highways, with two 12' through lanes, a 12' right shoulder and a 6' left shoulder with a 36' depressed, grassy median. I hope that access is further tighened so that all driveways are eliminated.

The state is also currently purchasing right-of-way for an outer bypass of Maysville that will be a limited-access, four-lane freeway. It will replace a five-lane roadway with curbs, although it doesn't experience much congestion.

seicer

Yeah, that segment of the AA Highway is much older -- early 1980s, I believe. It was built as a relocation of KY 10 around Maysville.

KY 10 was relocated and later incorporated as part of the AA Highway from KY 435 in Fernleaf eastward to US 62/68, and from Herron Hill eastward to Clarksburg (near Vanceburg). It has different access control methods than the remainder of the highway.

Bryant5493

QuoteNo, but the light at 62/68 West is a pain.  Only place I've seen a 4-phase signal where each direction gets its own phase.  It's like split phase on steroids... :ded:

The only intersection that I've seen like that is an intersection near Harrah's Tunica.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on April 16, 2009, 11:37:34 PM
The state is also currently purchasing right-of-way for an outer bypass of Maysville that will be a limited-access, four-lane freeway. It will replace a five-lane roadway with curbs, although it doesn't experience much congestion.

Isn't that the connector from existing US 68 south of Washington (somewhere between Mayslick and Washington) to the new connector to the new bridge?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on April 17, 2009, 06:27:46 AM
Quotealthough it doesn't experience much congestion.

No, but the light at 62/68 West is a pain.  Only place I've seen a 4-phase signal where each direction gets its own phase.  It's like split phase on steroids... :ded:

Reason for that is because it would be prohibitively expensive to buy right of way for turn lanes there. Originally relocated KY 10 came in from the west and ended at a T-intersection at US 62/68. When the AA was built they went straight through there, but had to squeeze the route between a couple of businesses. I can't remember what all is on that corner but I think there's a drugstore, a Hardee's and a Speedway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: Bryant5493 on April 17, 2009, 07:44:29 PM
QuoteNo, but the light at 62/68 West is a pain.  Only place I've seen a 4-phase signal where each direction gets its own phase.  It's like split phase on steroids... :ded:

The only intersection that I've seen like that is an intersection near Harrah's Tunica.

Be well,

Bryant

The end of NJ 10 at CR 577 and Essex 677 (former 577 Spur) in West Orange is also 4-phase due to inability to widen.

ShawnP

I always wondered why Kentucky didn't build AA highway as a full blown Turnpike. I think NE Kentucky would actually support rebuilding and tolling it for the improvements. It would save alot of time for traffic headed to Cinncinnati and Northern Kentucky.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.