News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on September 02, 2014, 10:21:34 PM
Boooooo! Hiss! One less reason to visit Demopolis...

Was thinking this changed awhile ago, and confirmed that looking back at my photos from the day after Cody's Birmingham Road Meet in October 2012. Now that I see my photo, I recall the same reaction you had!

formulanone

From the shield gallery:

Edit: image location in shield gallery

freebrickproductions

IMO, the shield on the sign for US 80 West should be the same size as the shields on the other sign.
Also, I bet this has to do with the recent law stating that all signs have to be the current reflective type (whatever it's called) by 2016.
I still need to get out and get some more photos of the button copy signs here in Huntsville.
Also, does anyone have any photos of the button copy signs that used to be in Decatur for directing traffic to Point Mallard from US 31? They were removed in 2012/2013 IIRC.
Also, according to Google Maps, the old signs in Demopolis have been gone since May of 2014 at the latest.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mwb1848

I love Clearview. But I love old-school button copy even more.

This is an unfortunate execution, too. There was something quaint about the old sign leaving off directions for 80/43. But, in the new Clearview application, it just looks lazy.

cjk374

Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2014, 12:12:42 PM
From the shield gallery:

Oh now I see.... I'm a fan of old school signage also, especially involving US 80.  It's my favorite highway since I've lived on it all my life.   :sombrero:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

adventurernumber1

Since this is an Alabama thread, I have a question. I went on a mission trip to Birmingham in July, and we took I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 briefly to I-59, then I-59 to Birmingham. There was a section of I-59 near Gadsden that was concrete and looked very odd. It looked like new white concrete but there was a load of tar or something looking stuff splattered everywhere on the road, and it was like that for a fairly long stretch, too. Has anybody been on this part of I-59, and can anyone tell me what the heck that was?
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

codyg1985

Is this south of Gadsden? I think there is a resurfacing project going on around there. Typically, if the underlying pavement is concrete, the road will get an asphalt overlay after the concrete is repaired. It doesn't make much sense to me, honestly.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

adventurernumber1

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

codyg1985

Ah, that's one of the many segments north of Gadsden where concrete pavement has been retained but ALDOT has struggled with keeping it from being rough as a washboard from there north to Georgia. Looks like they sealed up cracks in it with tar, similar to what they do with asphalt.

That is just north of where an "unbonded overlay" of concrete was placed on top of the original concrete pavement. Essentially, it is a concrete sandwich with asphalt in the middle. The asphalt is supposed to mitigate reflective cracking from the original concrete pavement underneath, and the thicker overall pavement section means that it is a bit stronger and (hopefully) more durable. We shall see how it holds up.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Also of note is that for the bridge over US 11, the southbound I-59 bridge was totally rebuilt as part of the concrete pavement project, but the northbound I-59 bridge was raised and I think either the girders were reused and recoated or new girders were put in place. Both bridges have new decks and guardrails.
Cody Goodman

rcm195

Just wanted to check up on the progress of several projects in Alabama and there status. The Centerville bypass, Corridor V around Red Bay, and the six laning of Beltline Road in Decatur. Anybody know how they are coming along?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: rcm195 on September 25, 2014, 09:48:22 PM
Just wanted to check up on the progress of several projects in Alabama and there status. The Centerville bypass, Corridor V around Red Bay, and the six laning of Beltline Road in Decatur. Anybody know how they are coming along?
IIRC, the beltline is either almost complete or has been completed.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

lordsutch

Corridor V around Red Bay has been fully open quite a while, although the four-laning east to Russellville is plodding along. On the MS side it's open to Highway 23 (which was actually complete before the AL part), but beyond that (to Highway 25) there's been no work thus far beyond a short stub.

It's been about 18 months since I saw what was going on in Centerville, so I can't update you on that.

bdmoss88

It's been almost 3 months since I've been through Centreville but there was paving going on when I passed through on July 4th weekend. It will probably be Thanksgiving before I make it back that way but I am hoping it is finished by then.

freebrickproductions

Does anyone know what the unfinished highway near Phil Campbell is/was for?

(They/Them)

codyg1985

It is supposed to eventually be a four-lane reroute for AL 13. It will go around the east side of Haleyville and rejoin the present AL 13 alignment between Haleyville and Natural Bridge. Who knows when it will ever be finished, though.
Cody Goodman

NE2

They have been working on that recently; the bridges over Little Bear Creek are fairly new.
http://www.tva.com/environment/reports/upperbear/ea_final.pdf

http://www.nacolg.com/Community_Planning/Documents/HaleyvilleComprehensivePlan_5-16-08.pdf page 89 has some information.

Seems like a major project for a relatively minor corridor. SR 243 is already on good alignment, and a Haleyville bypass beginning near Pebble would not require nearly as much construction.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

freebrickproductions

Does anyone know what the stub south of Boaz on US 431 was used for?
Here's its location on Google Maps:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.086413,-86.11069&num=1&t=h&z=18

(They/Them)

codyg1985

^ Not sure. I thought it may be an old alignment, but after looking around the area, I don't think that's the case.

Check out the old US 431 shield not far from there: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0859934,-86.111051,3a,28.4y,149.12h,83.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sp07yHIyZQP5Fu7qnh3rFqA!2e0
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Went to check out the Anniston Eastern Bypass this morning.  Didn't realize the open portion featured a Runaway Truck Ramp, the second one that I know of in Alabama.  I did take a few photos while I was out there.

NE2

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 27, 2014, 01:54:55 PM
Does anyone know what the stub south of Boaz on US 431 was used for?
Here's its location on Google Maps:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.086413,-86.11069&num=1&t=h&z=18
It started as a driveway when Rockledge was 431: http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/aerials/Counties/Etowah/Etowah_Rockledge_1950.html
The part that looks like an offramp may have been a temporary connection during construction. Later aerials are unclear.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2014, 12:04:49 PM
According to the Gadsden Times, it was shelved back in January.  ALDOT recommended, and FHWA concurred, on the "no-build" option. (disregard the poor editing in the article..."Federal Highway Association...?")

Naturally, the Gadsden City Council was unhappy with the decision.  And the local Congressman promised Federal approval if the state would commit to the project.

Lastly, judging from this news clip I found, the proposal to extend I-759 east dates back over 20 years.

It looks like local planners aren't ready to give up on extending I-759 to the east just yet.
Cody Goodman

froggie

I find it amusing that the article claims there hasn't been "an official statement from either ALDOT or FHWA as to what is really the status of that project".  Looked pretty clear to me that they both agreed on a "no build" back in January.

bdmoss88

Quote from: bdmoss88 on September 26, 2014, 10:10:34 AM
It's been almost 3 months since I've been through Centreville but there was paving going on when I passed through on July 4th weekend. It will probably be Thanksgiving before I make it back that way but I am hoping it is finished by then.
I thought it was supposed to be done by Thanksgiving but the Centreville bypass isn't finished yet. It looks like all it needs is stripes painted and to finish connecting the pavement on each end. I'm not sure what is holding up the finish. Maybe they will be done by Christmas.

bdmoss88

Quote from: bdmoss88 on November 28, 2014, 08:52:07 AM
Quote from: bdmoss88 on September 26, 2014, 10:10:34 AM
I thought it was supposed to be done by Thanksgiving but the Centreville bypass isn't finished yet. It looks like all it needs is stripes painted and to finish connecting the pavement on each end. I'm not sure what is holding up the finish. Maybe they will be done by Christmas.

Nope. No progress between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.