News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signage and other stuff in Illinois and Indiana

Started by roadgeek, April 04, 2016, 12:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadgeek

I was travelling through Illinois and Indiana this past week. It's amazing how much more signage is used in those states in comparison to Michigan.

Anyways, what are these called? I see them all over in those areas. Michigan should do this I think. Plus the signage placement there is brilliant.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7108682,-86.3752196,3a,38.2y,88.87h,84.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scSBNKLpE3mQ9xWhfx_qBSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
My Road Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek31/

Keep checking back for updates!

theline

Are you referring to the trailblazer pointing "TO I-70"? Those are really useful if you have diverted to the parallel highway (US 40 here) and are looking for the way back to the interstate. Indiana uses them a fair amount.

roadgeek

Actually that concrete shaped barrier in which the signs were placed on...and how it directs the lanes.
My Road Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek31/

Keep checking back for updates!

theline

Ah. I can't help with a name, other than the generic "island." Maybe someone with technical expertise can help.

Revive 755

"Island" does seem to be the technical turn, with "porkchop" being the more informal version for an island of that shape separating a right turn lane from a through lane.

ILRoad55

I always hated the idea of putting up Stoplights on wiring With the exception of doing that in construction zones because it looks fine. I might be biased just because I am used to how Illinois puts their stop lights up on metal poles. It looks better and modern.

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 04, 2016, 07:35:11 PM
"Island" does seem to be the technical turn, with "porkchop" being the more informal version for an island of that shape separating a right turn lane from a through lane.

I generally refer to the island as a "splitter island" with the lane being split as a "channelized right turn" or "slip lane".

Quote from: roadgeek on April 04, 2016, 12:51:33 PM
Anyways, what are these called? I see them all over in those areas. Michigan should do this I think.

Channelized right turns are becoming less common, especially those which don't require a yield. Several agencies build them like they're for sale (Colorado, British Columbia, among others) but just as many agencies are building less than ever before. WSDOT builds them pretty much only in rural areas, because urban areas have more pedestrians, and the yield-nature of these right turns are viewed as anti-pedestrian. They can be made pedestrian friendly by signalizing the crossing, as well as sharpening the merge, so the entry angle is closer to 90 degrees, but most agencies just opt for right turns lanes instead. Australia and New Zealand are examples of countries which build slip lanes properly...for example, this intersection near Melbourne, Vic:

peterj920

In Wisconsin, the porkchops are still being built, even for right turns bypassing roundabouts.  Slotted left turns are also becoming common on divided highways, where the left turn lane veers off from the left.  They improve visibility since oncoming traffic turning left doesn't block the visibility of mainline oncoming traffic.

paulthemapguy

I have heard them called "channelizing islands."  That's about the most technical-sounding name for them I have ever heard.   :)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hbelkins

For years, Kentucky used text signs reading "Traffic Islands Ahead" to warn of these things. A few of those signs can still be found. So I guess they're called "traffic islands" in Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jwolfer

Quote from: ILRoad55 on April 04, 2016, 08:37:46 PM
I always hated the idea of putting up Stoplights on wiring With the exception of doing that in construction zones because it looks fine. I might be biased just because I am used to how Illinois puts their stop lights up on metal poles. It looks better and modern.
I like span wires OK... If they look finished.. I don't like wooden telephone poles used.. I like metal or concrete poles used to support the wires

JoePCool14

Quote from: jwolfer on April 06, 2016, 11:37:34 PM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on April 04, 2016, 08:37:46 PM
I like span wires OK... If they look finished.. I don't like wooden telephone poles used.. I like metal or concrete poles used to support the wires
To be completely honest, I actually like the more rural look to them, mainly for the change of scenery I guess.

Also, I think this thread shouldn't be about Illinois. They definitely do not use enough signage.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Revive 755

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 09, 2016, 07:38:32 AM
Also, I think this thread shouldn't be about Illinois. They definitely do not use enough signage.

Please elaborate:  Illinois does not use enough, does not use the right type of signs, or is not placing signs right?

jp the roadgeek

I loved the split number interstate signs used in downtown Indianapolis that have two numbers on the same shield side by side.  Haven't seen them anywhere else in my travels

https://goo.gl/maps/Zswo4MfRRjp
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 09, 2016, 10:44:29 AM
I loved the split number interstate signs used in downtown Indianapolis that have two numbers on the same shield side by side.  Haven't seen them anywhere else in my travels

They probably stole that idea from Missouri, since there are some markers that have all four interstates (44, 55, 64 and 70) in one shield.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

There are split interstate signs in the Chicago area as well.  Not sure anyone stole from anyone else here...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

The OP's example would be a "raised island" since it's bounded by curbs
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

tdindy88

I've said it before here but I've always liked how Indiana's span wire traffic lights were arranged, with spans at the top and bottom of the traffic signal. It makes the signal setup look a bit cleaner, even with all the wind we've had the traffic lights basically look the same as before. As for the traffic signals on metal poles, I think Indiana has, surprisingly, a lot of those kinds of signal setups around the state. I could almost guess that half of the traffic lights in Indianapolis are on metal poles with the other half on span wires. Still, I do like the style of Illinois traffic signals as well, they do look clean and modern, even in the smallest of towns.

storm2k

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 09, 2016, 10:44:29 AM

Kansas City has some signs like that. here is one on broadway blvd downtown.

PurdueBill

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 09, 2016, 05:05:42 PM
I've said it before here but I've always liked how Indiana's span wire traffic lights were arranged, with spans at the top and bottom of the traffic signal. It makes the signal setup look a bit cleaner, even with all the wind we've had the traffic lights basically look the same as before. As for the traffic signals on metal poles, I think Indiana has, surprisingly, a lot of those kinds of signal setups around the state. I could almost guess that half of the traffic lights in Indianapolis are on metal poles with the other half on span wires. Still, I do like the style of Illinois traffic signals as well, they do look clean and modern, even in the smallest of towns.

Some may think that Indiana spanwire signals are overkill with the wires at the top and bottom of the signals plus the extra wire at the top going higher on the mast, but rarely have I seen an Indiana signal like this loose swinging or turned the wrong way--they stay put and look better than a cheaper installation that might come apart in a wind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.