News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Great Vermont Car Debate

Started by froggie, April 24, 2015, 07:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Subaru has long been a car make synonymous with Vermonters, and has often been called the #1 car in Vermont.  So yesterday WCAX dug into Vermont DMV data to see how the numbers played out.  Surprisingly (per vehicle registration data), they AREN'T the #1 brand in Vermont...that's actually Toyota (Subaru is #2).

Subaru does have the top two car models (Legacy and Forester), but if you include pickup trucks, the Chevy Silverado is actually the top vehicle model in the state.

http://www.wcax.com/story/28885223/the-great-vermont-car-debate

Crazy Volvo Guy

As for Subaru not being #1, the brand's quality has taken a sharp nosedive in recent years.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

corco

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on April 24, 2015, 07:16:35 PM
As for Subaru not being #1, the brand's quality has taken a sharp nosedive in recent years.

And the auto market has been copying them for decades as they've drifted closer to the median- they aren't unique anymore. A smallish AWD crossover is something nearly every make puts out now. In the meantime, Subaru has drifted from their old MO- the new Outbacks and Foresters are massive. The Impreza/XV Crosstrek is the only thing close to their identity (as it appeals to Vermonters) of "small car that is good in snow and can hold my recreational equipment," but that doesn't have the cargo space of a 1997 Subaru Outback or even a 1987 Subaru GL Wagon. Those small Subaru wagons were great cars- big enough to hold your shit to play outside, good in snow, good on gas. The old Tercel wagons were the only thing close to a competitor, and those are long gone.

Duke87

Quote from: corco on April 24, 2015, 07:34:07 PM
Subaru has drifted from their old MO- the new Outbacks and Foresters are massive. The Impreza/XV Crosstrek is the only thing close to their identity (as it appeals to Vermonters) of "small car that is good in snow and can hold my recreational equipment," but that doesn't have the cargo space of a 1997 Subaru Outback or even a 1987 Subaru GL Wagon. Those small Subaru wagons were great cars- big enough to hold your shit to play outside, good in snow, good on gas. The old Tercel wagons were the only thing close to a competitor, and those are long gone.

True station wagons in the classic sense have pretty much disappeared from the market in the US largely because of CAFE standards. A late 90s Subaru wagon has the wheelbase and width of a mid-size sedan, but lower fuel economy than one due to being more massive. In 2015 if you want to make a vehicle of that style you have to make it bigger in order to take advantage of looser standards for vehicles with larger footprints.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

The Nature Boy

When I lived close to Vermont, I saw a ton of Subarus on the road. I wonder what New Hampshire's #1 car is.

froggie

QuoteTrue station wagons in the classic sense have pretty much disappeared from the market in the US largely because of CAFE standards.

There's still some out there, even newer models.  VW's Jetta Wagon, for example.

Takumi

Quote from: froggie on April 24, 2015, 11:23:34 PM
QuoteTrue station wagons in the classic sense have pretty much disappeared from the market in the US largely because of CAFE standards.

There's still some out there, even newer models.  VW's Jetta Wagon, for example.

I think the only other conventional wagons sold in the US are also German. BMW still sells a 3-Series wagon with limited options (only AWD and automatic transmission), while Mercedes sells (and even advertises!) the E-Class wagon, all the way up to the $100,000 E63 AMG wagon.

Also, for some reason the Jetta wagon was changed to a Golf this year.
vw.com/models/golf-sportwagen/
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

Quote from: Takumi on April 25, 2015, 12:06:30 AM
Quote from: froggie on April 24, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

I think the only other conventional wagons sold in the US are also German. BMW still sells a 3-Series wagon with limited options (only AWD and automatic transmission), while Mercedes sells (and even advertises!) the E-Class wagon, all the way up to the $100,000 E63 AMG wagon.

Also, for some reason the Jetta wagon was changed to a Golf this year.
vw.com/models/golf-sportwagen/

About time, given that the Jetta wagon has been a Golf, and not a Jetta, for several years now.

froggie

They've also been known as Golf wagons for a number of years over in Europe.

6a

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on April 24, 2015, 07:16:35 PM

My sister in law (in Alaska) bought an Outback a couple years ago. Something snapped in the fuel system during a stretch of -50 weather - Subaru flew a team up there to figure out what happened. I should note the dealer tried to blame it on bad gas, and they had to contact Subaru directly, but I still thought that was a cool (ok, cold :) ) story. They told her they didn't care how cold it was, their cars aren't supposed to do that. Seems like the Fairbanks area has a way of saying "challenge accepted" whenever someone says it doesn't matter how cold it gets.

c172

Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 24, 2015, 10:48:15 PM
When I lived close to Vermont, I saw a ton of Subarus on the road. I wonder what New Hampshire's #1 car is.

I used to go to college in the Tri-State Region, so I was north of Brattleboro, VT, but also very close to Keene and Hinsdale, NH. At least in the VT side, there were a huge amount of Subarus (Loyales/GLs mainly), but also Saab 900s. This was mid-90's. Not sure what was the most popular make/model in and around Keene. The VT side seemed to be where the hippies and academics were. NH was where the WalMart was. Seemed more mainstream, and sometimes redneck. Greenfield, MA seemed to lean VT's way.

But, that was a way different era. I live in So Cal now. I can't tell what most cars are nowadays (though I still like the Outback). And I'm still lost on crossovers.

webfil

I ought to say green-plated Prius and Outbacks are legion in Montréal - nay half of the Ikea stores' parking. :-P Not surprised at all!

SP Cook

froggie

Regarding the link that SP Cook gave, there's arguably a difference between "best selling" and "most popular".  In this case, WCAX used DMV registration data to determine what the most popular vehicles were.

formulanone

Quote from: SP Cook on April 26, 2015, 07:36:54 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 24, 2015, 10:48:15 PM
I wonder what New Hampshire's #1 car is.

Not a car at all.  Ford truck.  Same as 34 other states.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-car-in-every-state-map-2013-11

Most brands' dealers have to denote "light trucks" from "cars" (as per EPA designation) in their accounting, so Fusions aren't really in the same counts as F150s, Malibus from Silverados, et al. I'm sure there's a variety of reasons for this, from vehicle counts to CAFE fuel economy ratings to registration costs to...advertising.

cpzilliacus

Years ago (as in late 1960's or early 1970's), SAABs were pretty popular all over New England, including Vermont.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.