News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-39/I-90 study in southern Wisconsin

Started by Revive 755, June 18, 2011, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/swregion/i3990/environ.htm

* Looking over all of the alternatives, I have to wonder about WisDOT for replacing cloverleafs with diamonds instead of either SPUIs or partial cloverleafs.  Certainly looks like WisDOT is SPUIphobic.

* From the following map, WisDOT apparently considers mainline I-43 to merge with SB I-39 and then terminate:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.wi.us/transp/projects/i3990cs/ea/appendixe-interchangealts/exhibit-e-1.pdf
And how is the "Signal after long stretch of interstate" any worse than some of WisDOT's bypasses that start as a near freeway but then have stoplights?

triplemultiplex

In the case of this study, there aren't really any space constraints that would warrant any SPUI's.

The I-43 interchange looks sweet.

I like the idea of the C/D setup through the US 14 & WI 26 interchanges in Janesville.

The Beltline interchange moves all the left hand ramps to the right, which I'm usually for.  In this case, most of the traffic EB on the Beltline gets on 39/90 as opposed to continuing on US 12/18.  So here's a spot where I'd be okay with some left side ramps.  But only for US 12/18.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JREwing78

I'm a little surprised there's not a provision for a high-speed movement between SBD WI-26 and SBD I-39, or for NBD I-39 to NBD WI-26, considering all the work north of Janesville to convert the highway to expressway or freeway. Then again, it's not like they have high-speed movements at Johnson Creek either.

So far, I see little of a construction timetable here. The stretch up to Janesville will be pretty quick and easy to 6-lane, but north of there will require more work.

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 19, 2011, 07:22:12 PM
In the case of this study, there aren't really any space constraints that would warrant any SPUI's.

The I-43 interchange looks sweet.

I like the idea of the C/D setup through the US 14 & WI 26 interchanges in Janesville.

The Beltline interchange moves all the left hand ramps to the right, which I'm usually for.  In this case, most of the traffic EB on the Beltline gets on 39/90 as opposed to continuing on US 12/18.  So here's a spot where I'd be okay with some left side ramps.  But only for US 12/18.

A few quick thoughts:

I like the second I-43 interchange alternative the best - BUT - I would continue the street to the east as a street to feed into old WI 15 (County 'X') in order to restore that local connection, finding a different way to connect it with I-43.

The Beltline Interchange is much nicer in most of those alternatives, but I would also include provisions for potential future major upgrades to the SB I-39/90 to EB US 12/18 and WB US 12/18 to NB I-39/90 movements, this because of the very real potential for US 12 east of Madison to become a far, far more important route than it is now.  Those upgrades don't have to be built right away, but I would leave options open for that work to be done quickly when the need arises.

I like the diamond much more than a full cloverleaf at WI 11 east (Racine Rd), too, the connection does not rate any more than that.  I would do the ramp intersections as roundabouts, though.

As for the WI 26 interchange, I would include an option for a much more heavily upgraded connection to WI 26 to the north, with the way that that route is developing, it'll be needed.

(I should send these thoughts off to WisDOT)

Mike

on_wisconsin

QuoteDetails announced for I-39/90 expansion

BELOIT (WKOW) -- The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has announced plans to expand one of the state's busiest stretches of highway.

Officials plan to spend $715 million on reconstruction and expansion of a 45-mile stretch of I-39/90 from Madison to the Illinois state line.

Plans call for a third lane in each direction, new pavement, replacing two bridges over the Rock River and replacing nearly 100 other smaller bridges.

The project will be split into three segments. The North segment will be from I-39/90 & US 12/18 to the Dane/Rock County line. The Central segment will be from the Dane/Rock County line to I-39/90 & County O near Janesville. The South segment will be from County O to the Illinois state line.

The project will be 70 percent state funded and 30 percent federal.

The six-year project is scheduled to begin in 2015. But construction of the Highway 11 interchange in Janesville is scheduled for 2013.

You can share your thoughts on the plan. The north segment will hold its first public information meeting on April 24 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Edgerton Public Library.
http://www.wkow.com/story/17400787/details-announced-for-i-3990-expansion

WisDOT Project site: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/projects/swregion/i3990/index.htm
(sorry for the  necro-post)
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SSOWorld

Now IDiOT will have 2 short stretches of road to expand. (94 and 90) (though the first is partially ISTHA)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hobsini2

Quote from: Master son on April 13, 2012, 07:16:49 AM
Now IDiOT will have 2 short stretches of road to expand. (94 and 90) (though the first is partially ISTHA)
Actually the only part of 90 that would need expansion is north of the IL 75 interchange to the state line so you're talking about maybe 3/4 mile at most.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 14, 2012, 01:06:42 PM
Actually the only part of 90 that would need expansion is north of the IL 75 interchange to the state line so you're talking about maybe 3/4 mile at most.

Huh?  I thought it would need widening from Rockton Road to the state line.  The third lane ends at Rockton Road, IIRC.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on April 14, 2012, 03:30:47 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on April 14, 2012, 01:06:42 PM

Huh?  I thought it would need widening from Rockton Road to the state line.  The third lane ends at Rockton Road, IIRC.
You're right Brandon. I did forget that it drops at Rockton Rd and not ILL 75. ok so make it 2 1/2 miles or so.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

cwm1276

Brandon

Finally IDiOT catches up.  Actually, District 2 isn't too bad at it.  Not like District 1 which can't get its head out of its ass..er..DuPage and Cook Counties (is there a difference?).

With ISTHA widening I-90 from O'Hare to Rockford, I-90 in Illinois will be a minimum of 6 lanes within a couple of years.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

SSOWorld

so that will make I-90 6+ lanes from Mad-town to Chicago. It's about time.  I've seen that road jammed several time - especially around Janesville and Beloit.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Brandon

Quote from: Master son on April 16, 2012, 06:36:39 AM
so that will make I-90 6+ lanes from Mad-town to Chicago. It's about time.  I've seen that road jammed several time - especially around Janesville and Beloit.

With the Indiana Toll Road widening, it'll go all the way to I-65 at a minimum.

mgk920

Quote from: Master son on April 16, 2012, 06:36:39 AM

Madison?

The six lanes start at the Cascade Interchange (I-39/I-90/94 split) near Portage, WI

Mike

SSOWorld

I wasn't considering that at the time - just looking at the new portion from the Cambridge Interchange southward. Technically, you're right.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hobsini2

Quote from: Master son on April 16, 2012, 01:51:25 PM
I wasn't considering that at the time - just looking at the new portion from the Cambridge Interchange southward. Technically, you're right.
Actually, if InDOT expands to 6 lanes to the I-80/94 interchange near Portage, is it coincidence that it will be Portage to Portage??? :) Yeah just a bit.

What WisDOT should do is to extend the 6 lanes to the Tomah split.

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 16, 2012, 06:17:43 PM
Quote from: Master son on April 16, 2012, 01:51:25 PM
Actually, if InDOT expands to 6 lanes to the I-80/94 interchange near Portage, is it coincidence that it will be Portage to Portage??? :) Yeah just a bit.

InDOT would have nothing to do with it.  IIRC, it's that Cinquas-Maquarie (sp?) (Spanish-Aussie company) that leases the Toll Road that would do the widening.

JREwing78

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 16, 2012, 06:17:43 PM

Certainly warranted, but I'd rather they finish the 6-laning between Madison and Beloit first. ;-)

WisDOT is apparently trying to fast-track US-14 upgrades to help handle displaced I-39/90 traffic during the 6-lane upgrade process. The Janesville Gazette is certainly finding it easier to find detractors than supporters, despite those who do the Janesville to Madison commute daily who wholeheartedly support it. http://www.gazettextra.com/news/2012/apr/08/proposed-janesville-highway-project-draws-concerns/

on_wisconsin

This project is even important enough for WisDOT to make a logo for it:

(WisDOT usually only makes logos for its super-duper large projects.)
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

DaBigE

Quote from: on_wisconsin on April 17, 2012, 08:45:32 PM

IDK, I think I'd remove the "duper" or maybe even the "super-duper".  Either their graphic artists are getting bored, or they're lowering their threshold, as they have a logo for the I-94 repaving project, for the I-43 bridge rehabs, and Bluemound Rd projects in the SE Region.  But I suppose it all depends on your point of reference--cost or project length.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

JREwing78

Interstate project could expand
http://gazettextra.com/news/2012/aug/22/interstate-project-could-expand/

Traffic count projections justify expanding Interstate 90/39 to four lanes in each direction through Janesville, state transportation officials said.

Original plans called for the widening of the Interstate from two lanes in each direction to three lanes from the Illinois state line to the Beltline in Madison.

Department of Transportation project manager Steve Marshall said 20-year traffic projections for the Interstate segment through Janesville warrant four lanes in each direction.

Federal highway officials, he said, suggested that the segment be expanded now rather than later.

mgk920

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 23, 2012, 06:21:51 PM
Interstate project could expand
http://gazettextra.com/news/2012/aug/22/interstate-project-could-expand/

Traffic count projections justify expanding Interstate 90/39 to four lanes in each direction through Janesville, state transportation officials said.

Original plans called for the widening of the Interstate from two lanes in each direction to three lanes from the Illinois state line to the Beltline in Madison.

Department of Transportation project manager Steve Marshall said 20-year traffic projections for the Interstate segment through Janesville warrant four lanes in each direction.

Federal highway officials, he said, suggested that the segment be expanded now rather than later.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should send WisDOT a copy of my recent 'Fictional Highways' thoughts on the I-39/90/WI 26 interchange in Janesville.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3618.msg160354#msg160354

:nod:

Mike

SEWIGuy

The four lane section wouldn't be very long...basically just through Janesville:

"Marshall said the segment with four lanes in each direction would run from the Avalon Road interchange to Highway 26 on Janesville's northwest side. All other segments of the expansion project are expected to remain at three lanes in each direction."

Avalon Road is where the WI-11 bypass approaches from the west.   This is basically an 8 mile section of highway.

Special K

Quote from: DaBigE on April 17, 2012, 10:12:42 PM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on April 17, 2012, 08:45:32 PM

IDK, I think I'd remove the "duper" or maybe even the "super-duper".  Either their graphic artists are getting bored, or they're lowering their threshold, as they have a logo for the I-94 repaving project, for the I-43 bridge rehabs, and Bluemound Rd projects in the SE Region.  But I suppose it all depends on your point of reference--cost or project length.

or number of people affected/showing interest.

triplemultiplex

Seems like the kind of thing where WisDOT could put in all the extra pavement and bridge widths, but only stripe it for 6 lanes at the end of the project.  Then the additional lane can be added in each direction when it's needed by just re-striping.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.