News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

WV 10

Started by seicer, September 03, 2013, 10:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

I don't have any recent photographs of WV 10 near Logan and Man, West Virginia, but the four-lane relocation project is impressive. There are a lot of very large earth moving involved, very lengthy spans over rivers and bridges to span the sides of hills due to topography.

WV 10 is currently half-way through a 90-day closure at Lyburn for blasting. 171,000 cubic yards of rock have been removed on this closure. From http://www.wvowradio.com/Article.asp?id=2694930&spid=37834

Location of closure: http://goo.gl/maps/BTSGw. Pan south to see the new WV 10. Pan north to see the cuts completed at Logan.

seicer

Between Rum Junction and Lyburn

Current southern end of four-lane at Man. This section just north of Man to just north of Buffalo Creek Road was completed around 2000.

dave19

Thanks for posting those pics!

SP Cook

Project open.

wvmetronews.com/2017/08/23/route-10-opens-in-logan-county

My commentary. 

With the exception of a short use of surface streets in Logan, this is a 4-lane from Corridor G US 119 to Man, more or less to the "corridor" standard.  WV should, but will not, decommission the old WV 10 from Chapmanville to Logan and WV 73, with 10 multiplexed into 119 from Chapmanville to Mt. Gay and then redesignate 73 as 10. 

This is not the most important project ever.  Really it just helps people get from one dying coal town to the next.  Any further construction seems unlikely.  Theoretically, they could four lane WV 80, which travels over easy, by southern WV standard, terrain to Gilbert and join a theoretical King Coal Highway, or they could do what Arch Moore proposed in the 1970s, which was go up Buffalo Creek (where the state owns all the ROW due to the flood)  and come out on top of Bolt Mountain and on into Beckley (this was killed by Logan merchants back then, they no longer exist).  But neither seems likely, IMHO. 

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on August 24, 2017, 09:30:10 AM
Project open.

wvmetronews.com/2017/08/23/route-10-opens-in-logan-county

My commentary. 

With the exception of a short use of surface streets in Logan, this is a 4-lane from Corridor G US 119 to Man, more or less to the "corridor" standard.  WV should, but will not, decommission the old WV 10 from Chapmanville to Logan and WV 73, with 10 multiplexed into 119 from Chapmanville to Mt. Gay and then redesignate 73 as 10. 

This is not the most important project ever.  Really it just helps people get from one dying coal town to the next.  Any further construction seems unlikely.  Theoretically, they could four lane WV 80, which travels over easy, by southern WV standard, terrain to Gilbert and join a theoretical King Coal Highway, or they could do what Arch Moore proposed in the 1970s, which was go up Buffalo Creek (where the state owns all the ROW due to the flood)  and come out on top of Bolt Mountain and on into Beckley (this was killed by Logan merchants back then, they no longer exist).  But neither seems likely, IMHO.

West Virginia left WV 10 on its alignment to Chapmanville, but converted old US 119 to a county route. When the four-lane bypass to the north of Logan first opened, the section of old 119 between Logan and Holden was signed as WV 44, but they changed that portion to a county route and now WV 44 (itself an old segment of 119) ends at WV 73.

I agree that WV 10 should be routed along 73 to 119, and then concurrent with 119 to Chapmanville.

The route looked nearly ready to open the last time I was there (back in late winter or early spring). I'm glad to see it, because there are some treacherous parts of old WV 10 between Logan and Man, especially so if you meet a coal truck in one of the  more narrow portions. I don't know why it was felt necessary to four-lane that particular portion of 10.

If I'm going somewhere south or east of Gilbert, my usual route is to enter West Virginia at Kermit (which will become even easier once the KY 40 construction is finished between Inez and Warfield), then take US 52 to Delbarton, WV 65 over to US 119, then 119, 73 and 10 to Man, then WV 80 to Gilbert where I pick back up on US 52 south. Keeps me from having to go all the way south to Pikeville, then northeast to Williamson, and then across two hairy mountains between Williamson and Gilbert on US 52.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

According to OSM, the old segment of WV-10 that got bypassed became a 2nd WV-210.  Does anybody have proof of this?

Bitmapped

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 23, 2017, 08:50:51 AM
According to OSM, the old segment of WV-10 that got bypassed became a 2nd WV-210.  Does anybody have proof of this?

Per WVDOH Logan County maps, it's CR 210/25.

SP Cook

Correct, it is 210/25 and well named as "Hanging Rock Road". 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 23, 2017, 09:13:13 AM

Quote from: SP Cook on October 23, 2017, 10:15:34 AM

Alright, thanks for the info.

BTW, any idea about WV-17?  Will it still end at the old road, or will it be rerouted onto old WV-10 to meet up with the new route in Logan?

Bitmapped

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 24, 2017, 11:05:22 PM

BTW, any idea about WV-17?  Will it still end at the old road, or will it be rerouted onto old WV-10 to meet up with the new route in Logan?

I haven't been down to Logan to see, but my assumption is that it will follow Old WV 10 into Logan. DOH doesn't leave state route ends hanging.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 25, 2017, 10:13:36 AM

I haven't been down to Logan to see, but my assumption is that it will follow Old WV 10 into Logan. DOH doesn't leave state route ends hanging.

They did with WV-480 till they extended WV-115.

And then again, we also have that weird small extension of WV-44 past the King Coal Highway a couple of feet. lol.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 25, 2017, 09:55:29 PM
They did with WV-480 till they extended WV-115.

I'm not sure why WV 115 is signed along the old routing of WV 9 all the way from the west side of Ranson/Charles Town to where it currently ends at the new WV 9.

What should have been done with 480 was extend it to the new WV 9 alignment.

And speaking of WV 115, it's signed at the US 340 exit as going in both directions, but the route is signed as a county route where it ends at WV 9 near the state line. I ended up having to drive it all the way east from US 340 to WV 9 because of the signage at that exit, just to ensure my clinch.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2017, 11:06:33 AM
And speaking of WV 115, it's signed at the US 340 exit as going in both directions, but the route is signed as a county route where it ends at WV 9 near the state line. I ended up having to drive it all the way east from US 340 to WV 9 because of the signage at that exit, just to ensure my clinch.

And it's also signed as a CR at the 'northern' end too on BGSs along WV-9. lol.  Though, to be honest, with the 'southern' end, I might just extend it to WV-9 there for TM anyways finally (once I get to the WV-115 cleanup).

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 25, 2017, 10:13:36 AM

Drove the new section of WV 10 today and specifically went over to Stollings to check on WV 17.

There is no mention of WV 17 whatsoever on WV 10. Signage at the northern end of the new route is for Hanging Rock Road (CR 210/25) and some other county route, the name and number of which I don't remember but I did get photos of the signage.

Signage on WV 17 indicates that the route still ends at old WV 10 (although there is no "END WV 17" sign there.) Signage on old 10 north of the intersection is for "North WV 10, To US 119" (WV 17 used to be US 119 until the portion of Corridor G between Chapmanville and Danville/Madison was built) and closer to Logan, there are a couple of "To WV 10/US 119" signs installed.

So for now, it would appear that WV 17 still ends at old WV 10/current CR 210/25 at Stollings.

rickmastfan67

Thanks for that info hbelkins.  Appreciate it.

hbelkins

Also worth noting that the surface of the new route is asphalt. West Virginia typically uses concrete on new construction of four-lane routes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.