News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does US 25 still exist in Ohio?

Started by usends, November 06, 2013, 09:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Does anyone know whether US 25 is referenced in the Ohio route log?

Heading north on the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, the US 25 sign that used to be next to the "Welcome to Ohio" sign was removed in 2008 (while the US 42 and US 127 signs remain).  I'm guessing this was done because US 25 ends at the state line.  I realize the entire bridge is maintained by Kentucky, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the portion in Ohio must be designated as US 25.  There is still one US 25 sign in Cincinnati, but it says "TO JCT US 25", which to me further implies that the route doesn't actually exist in Ohio.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

NE2

ODOT doesn't consider it to exist, but Kentucky maintains about 140 feet in Ohio: http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/State%20Primary%20Road%20System%20Lists/Kenton.pdf
QuoteUS 25, from the Boone County Line via Elsmere, Erlanger, Edgewood, Crestview Hills, Lakeside Park, Fort Mitchell, Fort Wright, Park Hills, and Covington and the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge to the end of state maintenance at the end of the bridge structure (0.026 mile north of the Kentucky  -  Ohio State Line), a distance of 8.998 miles.
This appears to be the end of the overhead trusswork; the bridge itself extends about 1450 feet farther, almost to 3rd Street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

usends

Interesting, thank you.  There's no question that KY maintains a bridge that extends into OH.  But - while KY can say whatever they want in their route descriptions - I'm quite certain they don't actually have the authority to decree that the US 25 designation extends along the OH segment of the bridge.  Since OH doesn't recognize US 25, and since AASHTO says the route begins in Covington, my interpretation is that the US 25 designation ends at the state line, about 140 feet before KY's maintenance ends.

NE2

Quote from: usends on November 07, 2013, 10:35:06 AM
I'm quite certain they don't actually have the authority to decree that the US 25 designation extends along the OH segment of the bridge.
Perhaps only in the same way that Oklahoma doesn't have the authority to extend US 377 to I-44, etc. ODOT probably has no more jurisdiction here than they do over county and township road numbers.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Henry

Quote from: usends on November 06, 2013, 09:53:52 PM
Does anyone know whether US 25 is referenced in the Ohio route log?

Heading north on the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, the US 25 sign that used to be next to the "Welcome to Ohio" sign was removed in 2008 (while the US 42 and US 127 signs remain).  I'm guessing this was done because US 25 ends at the state line.  I realize the entire bridge is maintained by Kentucky, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the portion in Ohio must be designated as US 25.  There is still one US 25 sign in Cincinnati, but it says "TO JCT US 25", which to me further implies that the route doesn't actually exist in Ohio.
Blame this on I-75 swallowing up US 25's route north of Cincinnati. Before the Interstate was completed, US 25 was the main route to Dayton, Toledo and Detroit.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

usends

Quote from: Henry on November 07, 2013, 03:41:07 PM
Blame this on I-75 swallowing up US 25's route north of Cincinnati. Before the Interstate was completed, US 25 was the main route to Dayton, Toledo and Detroit.

Yes, hence the word "still" in the subject line.  While I-75 largely replaced the functionality of US 25 in OH and MI, it didn't "swallow up" US 25: the historic route north of Cincinnati is still open to traffic, with only a few minor disconnects.  In fact, a significant percentage of the decommissioned segment is still designated either as SH 25 or CR 25.

Henry

Quote from: usends on November 07, 2013, 07:32:23 PM
Quote from: Henry on November 07, 2013, 03:41:07 PM

Yes, hence the word "still" in the subject line.  While I-75 largely replaced the functionality of US 25 in OH and MI, it didn't "swallow up" US 25: the historic route north of Cincinnati is still open to traffic, with only a few minor disconnects.  In fact, a significant percentage of the decommissioned segment is still designated either as SH 25 or CR 25.
I take it back, then.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.