News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mon-Fayette Expressway

Started by Mr_Northside, August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 18, 2015, 10:10:12 AM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 18, 2015, 09:01:00 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on June 18, 2015, 08:47:16 AM
Also, this is timely from the Mon-Fayette discussion.  They are in fact dropping the leg into Pittsburgh and keeping the leg that goes more east towards Monroeville.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2015/06/18/Turnpike-officials-revive-Mon-Fayette-Expressway-extension/stories/201506180044

Maybe we can finally have a freeway going to I-376. AET would be great for such a freeway. What bridge design would be used for the Mon's bridge over the Monongahela River?
That's a poor decision choice. An alternate way to get directly south of Pittsburgh and a connector between downtown Pittsburgh and I-68 would have been much more better. I-79 between I-376 and the WV line can be congested, but nope! They decided with Pittsburgh's suburbs.

There was oppostion with going into downtown Pittsburgh.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

cpzilliacus

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 18, 2015, 11:00:40 AM
There was NIMBY opposition with going into downtown Pittsburgh.

FTFY.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

iBallasticwolf2

Hey building the freeway in East Pittsburgh is better than no freeway extension. Plus it has AET! If the freeway was built earlier AET might not have been used.

Gnutella

The Monroeville segment needs to be extended up Thompson Run past I-376 to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. That way eastbound Turnpike traffic heading for the Mon-Fayette Expressway southbound won't have to use I-376, and neither will northbound Mon-Fayette traffic heading for the Turnpike westbound. Also, it'd create a continuous three-quarters beltway from Cranberry around to Pittsburgh International Airport. I doubt it'll ever be a full beltway, though, because there are a lot of rich suburbs between the airport and Cranberry, and the real estate is some of the most expensive in western Pennsylvania.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Gnutella on June 19, 2015, 06:41:45 AM
The Monroeville segment needs to be extended up Thompson Run past I-376 to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. That way eastbound Turnpike traffic heading for the Mon-Fayette Expressway southbound won't have to use I-376, and neither will northbound Mon-Fayette traffic heading for the Turnpike westbound. Also, it'd create a continuous three-quarters beltway from Cranberry around to Pittsburgh International Airport. I doubt it'll ever be a full beltway, though, because there are a lot of rich suburbs between the airport and Cranberry, and the real estate is some of the most expensive in western Pennsylvania.

Also remember I-576 to add on to the beltway aspect. I do think the Mon-Fayette should go to the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

wphiii

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 18, 2015, 02:34:50 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 18, 2015, 11:00:40 AM
There was NIMBY opposition with going into downtown Pittsburgh.

FTFY.

It would have been quite difficult to forge a direct connection between Downtown and the MFE without cutting through large swaths of already-developed land. The proposed arm between East Pittsburgh and 376 in Oakland that was nixed would also have been highly destructive for Braddock and Hazelwood, which are struggling enough to come back as it is, not to mention problematic for a couple of major planned brownfield developments along the Mon. Cry NIMBYism all you want, but the only reasonable and realistic option is the one they're trying to go ahead with now.

ARMOURERERIC

Like I suggested:  Make the Mifflin Road corridor a parkway facility from 43 to the Glenwood bridge with a 3 lane reversible HOT lane from the bridge to the Parkway

JawnwoodS96

Well, at least there's an initiative to complete it now, even without the PGH leg.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

ARMOURERERIC

Henry

IMO, building one half is better than just ending it in the middle of nowhere like it does now. And I'm in favor of building the eastern leg to Monroeville, because the western leg into downtown would be a colossal waste of money when you factor in the expense that comes with plowing through dense residential and commercial areas.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Henry on June 24, 2015, 01:17:51 PM
the western leg into downtown would be a colossal waste of money when you factor in the expense that comes with plowing through dense residential and commercial areas.

And carving it into the riverbank in the places that aren't as dense and commercial.  Even then, I don't know that I would call it a colossal waste.... it's just too damned expensive.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Pete from Boston

Is there a concomitant upgrade of Parkway East in this plan? 

Aside: is it "Parkway East" or "the Parkway East" in common usage?

Gnutella

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 24, 2015, 07:28:07 PM
Is there a concomitant upgrade of Parkway East in this plan? 

PennDOT District 11 doesn't have the balls to properly correct the Parkway West, let alone the Parkway East. If I'm the head honcho in Harrisburg, I'm allocating ZERO to District 11 for "improvements" to the Parkways East and West until they put together an actual plan to widen them to six lanes (not including truck lanes on the long ascents) and upgrade them to proper Interstate standards. Even if the improvements can only be done incrementally, District 11 needs to actually have a fucking plan, instead of this band-aid bullshit they've been doing for the last 10 years.

froggie

As I recall, there's some pretty tight ROW confines along there, especially Parkway West.  ROW costs alone are likely keeping any meaningful widening or standard upgrade dormant...

wphiii

With article.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Gnutella on June 24, 2015, 07:50:02 PM
PennDOT District 11 doesn't have the balls to properly correct the Parkway West, let alone the Parkway East.

I've never heard the word "balls" used as slang for "Money" before...
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

iBallasticwolf2

PennDOT District 11 doesn't have the Money to properly correct the Parkway West, let alone the Parkway East. Also NIMBYs would ruin the plans

FTFY

The Ghostbuster

Why do I have the feeling the Mon-Fayette Expressway will never go further north than State Highway 51?

DeaconG

^^^Why do I have the feeling you are correct?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

iBallasticwolf2

Why do I have a feeling ROW acqusistion will be complete but construction will halt?

Duke87

Quote from: Henry on June 24, 2015, 01:17:51 PM
IMO, building one half is better than just ending it in the middle of nowhere like it does now. And I'm in favor of building the eastern leg to Monroeville, because the western leg into downtown would be a colossal waste of money when you factor in the expense that comes with plowing through dense residential and commercial areas.

Looks like the eastern leg is no cakewalk either. Some (although perhaps not as much) old growth development will have to be plowed through to make even that happen.

I've always wondered looking at the north end of the highway how they intended to extend it to a more useful terminus, since there's obviously no way to extend it much further than it currently goes without substantial use of eminent domain. And while it pleases me to see signs that doing that might still be possible, I have to question PA's priorities here given the already low traffic counts on PA 43. If the road were to be extended directly to downtown Pittsburgh from its current end, that *might* have some use, but the current plan has it heading on a completely perpendicular alignment to that, thus rendering it useless for anyone looking to get downtown from near it.

Frankly, doing anything at this point seems somewhat porkish to me. Of course, the proposed section which has been saved for last is the least porkish section of the whole road. Ah well, at least it's being tolled to help pay for it.

On that note, what percent of PA 43's costs are being covered by the tolls on it? Is it anything significant?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ARMOURERERIC

I was sent a link about 10 days ago and cannot find it now or via search but the article indicated that the City of Pittsburgh may embark on a plan to slowly buy up properties along Saw Mill Run Blvd and create a real parkway, obviously this would take years to accomplish, but it would help.

CanesFan27

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 07, 2015, 09:54:48 PM
I was sent a link about 10 days ago and cannot find it now or via search but the article indicated that the City of Pittsburgh may embark on a plan to slowly buy up properties along Saw Mill Run Blvd and create a real parkway, obviously this would take years to accomplish, but it would help.

The Levitske's won't sell.

Mr_Northside

There's a lot of discussion and "plans" over the Saw Mill Run corridor.....
Beyond the roadway, a major issue is also Saw Mill Run - the creek itself- and flooding issues.

Personally, I classify it all as "I'll believe it when I see it".
Though they are almost done with the 51-88 Jughandle / intersection project - so what you see (or about to see) is what you get for the southernmost portion of Rt. 51 in the City [limits] for the next couple of decades.

PITCHS

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 08, 2015, 09:48:25 PM
There's a lot of discussion and "plans" over the Saw Mill Run corridor.....
Beyond the roadway, a major issue is also Saw Mill Run - the creek itself- and flooding issues.

Personally, I classify it all as "I'll believe it when I see it".
Though they are almost done with the 51-88 Jughandle / intersection project - so what you see (or about to see) is what you get for the southernmost portion of Rt. 51 in the City [limits] for the next couple of decades.

It's worth noting this project is doing nothing to alleviate storm water issues in the one area that's plagued the most by them. I agree any tangible improvements aside from a traffic related project here or there is a long way off, the best we can hope for it incremental improvements going forward. A big mistake IMO to not at least do something to address the chronic flooding problem here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.