News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Eastern End of the Blue Grass Parkway

Started by Revive 755, February 04, 2011, 03:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Found this article today regarding an early (1973) study to bring the parkway to I-64 at the US 62 interchange:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=z6JBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QakMAAAAIBAJ&dq=interstate-64&pg=6701%2C1588289

hbelkins

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 04, 2011, 03:13:59 PM
Found this article today regarding an early (1973) study to bring the parkway to I-64 at the US 62 interchange:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=z6JBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QakMAAAAIBAJ&dq=interstate-64&pg=6701%2C1588289

Should have been done, but never will be, because of the NIMBYs in Woodford and Scott counties. They also fought completion of I-64 between Lexington and Frankfort.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

Good Catch and I agree about the NIMBY's of Woodford and Scott Counties. I can only imagine the fuss they will put up when I-64 is up for expansion to six lanes thru the area. It is a very beautiful area as we all agree but roads to move more people are needed.

hbelkins

Quote from: ShawnP on February 06, 2011, 12:50:15 PM
Good Catch and I agree about the NIMBY's of Woodford and Scott Counties. I can only imagine the fuss they will put up when I-64 is up for expansion to six lanes thru the area. It is a very beautiful area as we all agree but roads to move more people are needed.

That shouldn't be a problem, as the median is plenty wide and they should be able to put two extra lanes and a Jersey barrier there.

ShawnP

I agree median space is there but the NIMBY's would fight still as extra traffic would ruin the Bluegrass area (I look at as more business equals more money for all).

RoadWarrior56

NIMBY's will fight anything.  The richer they are, the more arrogant they tend to be and morally superior they tend to feel.

iBallasticwolf2

I think an extension of the Cumberland parkway to I-75 would be useful
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

billtm

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on March 22, 2015, 03:02:35 PM

I think KY-80 handles traffic fine for now, I'd put four-laning the Mountain Pkwy. as a higher priority.

hbelkins

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on March 22, 2015, 03:02:35 PM

Google "I-66 Kentucky" and you'll see plenty of proposals to do just that. What will probably be done eventually is extending it from its current end at US 27 to tie into KY 80 somewhere east of Somerset. They really screwed up the through movement between KY 80 to the Cumberland Parkway. Signage recommends going north on 27 to hit the parkway, but the best route is to stay on the old Cumberland Parkway to KY 914 and then connect to the Cumberland.

Quote from: billtm on March 22, 2015, 08:32:29 PM
I think KY-80 handles traffic fine for now, I'd put four-laning the Mountain Pkwy. as a higher priority.

I agree. I've never seen a huge amount of traffic on 80 between London and Somerset. And the four-laning of the Mountain Parkway is indeed a high priority and is currently underway, but I'm not sold on that project's necessity. I'd love to have a road the quality of the existing two- and three-lane Mountain Parkway to connect any of several county seats in this region that I can think of.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.