News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 50 Indiana news

Started by tvketchum, October 11, 2012, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvketchum

thefro

A lot of people are disappointed that it's not the full 4-lane road that was originally talked about, but hopefully that will eventually happen at some point.  The real prize for the area would be upgrading the whole corridor from Seymour to Dillsboro to 4-lanes (which would make it 4-lanes from I-65 to Cincinnati).

Pretty heavy truck traffic on this road for a 2 lane highway between the Wal-Mart distribution center in Seymour, Lowes Distribution center in North Vernon, and the military vehicles going to the Muscatatuck Urban Training Center, so even diverting that around town will be helpful.

silverback1065

US 50 in Indiana should be a 4 lane divided highway throughout like US 30 (mostly) is.

thefro

Agreed there.  It is already 4 lanes from the IN/IL border to Washington, sections Bedford & Seymour, and then from Dillsboro to the IN/OH state line.

The road is also 3 lanes past Versailles (with the passing lane swapping back and forth).

thefro

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Jennings-Full-speed-adhead_1382236316

The western half of the North Vernon US 50 bypass is scheduled to open in November (around exactly a month from now, IIRC).  Once the full bypass is open US 50 will be routed onto it and the existing road returned to the county/city.

A small section is already open and they have US 50 routed onto it.  I believe it's the orange Alt S1 route on this map south of the existing highway.

The article is mainly behind a paywall but the attached photo gallery of construction isn't.

andy

There was land purchased in the 1970's (prior to I-64 opening??) for a four lane between Bedford and Washington.  A highway worker recently told me the State wanted to start selling these but was told they were purchased on a Federal grant that would have to be repaid if they did.

That probably leaves those parcels in everlasting limbo since its hard telling where a modern environmental study will place the road.

silverback1065

Quote from: thefro on October 21, 2013, 10:14:22 AM
http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Jennings-Full-speed-adhead_1382236316

The western half of the North Vernon US 50 bypass is scheduled to open in November (around exactly a month from now, IIRC).  Once the full bypass is open US 50 will be routed onto it and the existing road returned to the county/city.

A small section is already open and they have US 50 routed onto it.  I believe it's the orange Alt S1 route on this map south of the existing highway.

The article is mainly behind a paywall but the attached photo gallery of construction isn't.

I heard it's signed as SR 750 until the whole bypass is finished, is that not true anymore?

Captain Jack

Quote from: andy on October 21, 2013, 01:02:41 PM
There was land purchased in the 1970's (prior to I-64 opening??) for a four lane between Bedford and Washington.  A highway worker recently told me the State wanted to start selling these but was told they were purchased on a Federal grant that would have to be repaid if they did.

That probably leaves those parcels in everlasting limbo since its hard telling where a modern environmental study will place the road.

The original plan for I-64 had it running along US 50 across Illinois and Indiana to Shoals, where it would follow US 150 to Louisville. This was re-routed to Evansville in the early 60's and completed in the early 70's. This land purchase may have been part of that, but it would have been done in the late 50's. The four lane section around Vincennes was designed and started as I-64.

RoadWarrior56

At one time in the late 70's-early 80's, what is now INDOT planned to widen US 50 throughout the State of Indiana.  When I was in Road Design in that era, there were US 50 plans for sections that were never constructed.  I presume that land was purchased in that era for those improvements.  Why only sections of 50 were improved, I have no idea.  I-64 was killed in that corridor as early as 1960-61.

andy

I can't say for sure if the land purchase was for I-64 or US50, but I was under the impression it was US50 and early 70's. (And that was before I lived in the area.) I checked the E-GIS site for Martin County, but they don't include sales records earlier than about 2000, so I'd have to visit the courthouse for more information, and that probably won't happen any time soon.

Revive 755

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on October 22, 2013, 06:32:20 AM
At one time in the late 70's-early 80's, what is now INDOT planned to widen US 50 throughout the State of Indiana.  When I was in Road Design in that era, there were US 50 plans for sections that were never constructed.  I presume that land was purchased in that era for those improvements.  Why only sections of 50 were improved, I have no idea.  I-64 was killed in that corridor as early as 1960-61.

I wonder if Illinois's plan for a supplemental freeway along US 50 had something to do with Indiana planning to widen US 50?

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 21, 2013, 04:19:53 PM
Quote from: thefro on October 21, 2013, 10:14:22 AM

I heard it's signed as SR 750 until the whole bypass is finished, is that not true anymore?

That's correct, I drove past the future US 50/SR 750 junction and there's a SR 750 sign on the unopened road that I saw.

thefro

Opening date for the first half of the bypass is set for Dec. 10th.

thefro

Quote from: thefro on November 21, 2013, 07:07:31 PM
Opening date for the first half of the bypass is set for Dec. 10th.

Just wanted to report Indiana 750 opened as planned despite the recent snowstorms.  Drove the whole section that is open.  There were quite a few people driving on the new road.  I'd call it a quality highway... wide-shoulders on the sides (seemed to be nearly interstate-width to me).  Signage is well marked and in place.  My only issue is that the US 50/Indiana 750 interchange only has a stop sign on westbound US 50 and there's nothing on westbound Indiana 750 or eastbound 750.  It really needs at least a flashing yellow/red light in that spot I think.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.