News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TCH104 Twinning @ Sutherlands River NS - 2012 Update

Started by ghYHZ, June 13, 2012, 07:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Twinning of the remaining 4KM section of TCH104 from Pine Tree (east of New Glasgow, NS) to Sutherlands River is nearing completion and will open this year.

Here's the structure at Exit 27 (Trunk 4) .......the embankmant at the end of the new eastbound lanes will be excavated shortly to permit a connection through to the new bridge crossing of Sutherlands River.

Some temporary route changes will be required:

All traffic (both east/west) will start using the new westbound lanes and bridge (at left) Local traffic will then use Exit 27 and the section of new road entering from the right (in the picture below) will then be extended to the current TCH104 bridge. This will permit access to Trunk 4 and Route 245 beyond. The eastbound lanes will then be excavated and linked into the new bridge structure.

Below is a short section of new alignment to link the current TCH104 into Trunk 4. Route 245 goes under the new highway beyond.

AsphaltPlanet

I find it funny that Nova Scotia still uses sequential based exit numbers. Did New Brunswick use sequential bases exits until fairly recentl too or am I imagining things?

Great pics as always.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ghYHZ

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 14, 2012, 08:37:55 PM
Great pics as always.
Thanks!......and I'll be posting an update on the Antigonish By-pass sometime this weekend.....just have to grab a couple more photos.

Yes, I wish NS would go mileage based......NB has been for at least 20+ years.

Prior to the new construction, Exit 27 in the first photo was 27A, an at grade intersection as was the original 27 (last photo).....It's now an underpass only for Route 245.

ghYHZ

Two-way traffic is now on the new TCH104 westbound lanes and bridge at Sutherlands River while the new eastbound lanes are constructed (see third photo from top for comparison).

Traffic to Trunk 4 and Route 245 now uses Exit 27 and Trunk 4 has been realigned across the old TCH104 Bridge.

The pavement on the old TCH alignment beyond Route 245 will be removed and Trunk 4 will continue through to the right.

ghYHZ

TCH104 is now complete to KM179.5.....just beyond the NS245 overpass at Sutherlands River. There are no scheduled twinning projects for the 37.5KM between there and the beginning of the new Antigonish Bypass.

The next section of TCH104 to open will be Phase 2 of the Antigonish Bypass in 2015. 

1995hoo

As a totally trivial matter, I've always found it interesting that the signs say "Cape Breton" rather than "Cape Breton Island."

Hardly a matter of importance, just something I always notice when I see those signs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webfil

Cape Breton is a municipality at the eastern tip of CBI, so that is why it is posted as a control city. 15 years ago, that would have read "Sydney".

1995hoo

Quote from: webfil on December 04, 2012, 11:18:44 AM
Cape Breton is a municipality at the eastern tip of CBI, so that is why it is posted as a control city. 15 years ago, that would have read "Sydney".

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. I always just assumed it was for convenience, appearance (not making one line too much longer than the other), and maybe sign size (same reason).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

StogieGuy7

But isn't Cape Breton like the equivalent of a county?  After all, Sydney still exists doesn't it? 

ghYHZ

Being a local.......it's always referred to as just "Cape Breton" . Very seldom would you see "Island"  tacked on. Even the sign at the Causeway just says "Welcome to Cape Breton" . And once on the Island, you're not going to see "Cape Breton Regional Municipality"  as a control city......it still says Sydney or Glace Bay or North Sydney or New Waterford etc.

oscar

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 04, 2012, 01:54:59 PM

But isn't Cape Breton like the equivalent of a county?  After all, Sydney still exists doesn't it? 

There is a Cape Breton County, which includes Sydney and some other parts of Cape Breton Island.  But the Island includes three other counties as well. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bcaven

Quote from: oscar on December 04, 2012, 05:20:00 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 04, 2012, 01:54:59 PM

There is a Cape Breton County, which includes Sydney and some other parts of Cape Breton Island.  But the Island includes three other counties as well. 

Well, technically now Sydney is a part of CBRM and isn't a municipal unit any more. Just as Dartmouth is part of HRM and not technically a city.

ghYHZ

Just listening to the weather a few minutes ago, it was given for the "Mainland"  and "Cape Breton" .......no "Island"  mentioned.

Here......when someone says they're going to "The Island" ......you just assume they mean PEI**  Not Cape Breton or Newfoundland.

**And it's nearly always just "PEI"  not "Prince Edward Island" !

aridawn

In Ontario along the 401 corridor, we refer to the maritimes as "Down East" when speaking of the Atlantic region of Canada.  We also would say Cape Breton and drop the "Island".  Now even though there was almalgomation that took place in halifax, we still refer to each of the cities, IE Dartmouth, and Halifax, Lower Sacville.  Prince Edward Island is refered to as PEI or "The Dune".  New Foundland is still refer to as "The Rock". Not to offend anyone, and I do Appologise if it does, Quebec is refered to as "The Pond".

AsphaltPlanet

I've never heard Quebec referred to as the pond.  Does it get the name from the fact that you have to cross it to get to the Maritimes?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 09, 2012, 04:49:40 PM
I've never heard Quebec referred to as the pond.  Does it get the name from the fact that you have to cross it to get to the Maritimes?

No, it's because of who lives there - hence the poster's apology-in-advance. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.