VA: Bill allowing 70 MPH passes GA, goes to Gov for signature

Started by froggie, February 17, 2010, 07:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganDriver

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 04, 2010, 07:48:55 PM
Given how bad traffic can be along the I-95 corridor in much of Virginia, high speed limits are suicide in dense suburbs and urban areas. I-95 in downtown Richmond will likely never be signed at higher than 55mph, and it never should be since between VA 161 and Maury Street (about 6 miles), you're usually not going over 50.

We aren't dying left and right in Metro Detroit where freeways are signed to 70 except within a few miles of downtown.

froggie

QuoteWe aren't dying left and right in Metro Detroit where freeways are signed to 70 except within a few miles of downtown.

You also don't have drivers from all 50 states and numerous countries with all their bad habits, like we do in Northern Virginia...

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on November 05, 2010, 04:23:53 PM
You also don't have drivers from all 50 states and numerous countries with all their bad habits, like we do in Northern Virginia...

I didn't think you were worried about a few congressmen and diplomats.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

You forget the families.  The tourists.  The lobbyists.  Especially the lobbyists... :ded:

agentsteel53

if a lobbyist dies, another will spring forth from the soil to take its place.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

Veering back on topic, I-64 between I-295(E) and VA 199(E) is still posted at 65 as of last Tuesday. I'm making it a point to get up there and check on it semi-regularly, since I'm already on 64 anyway most days.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

njroadhorse

I can happily report that you can go 70 on Interstate 81 from Christiansburg to Strasburg, except in Salem/Roanoke, Staunton, and Harrisonburg.  Those are 60, 65, and 60 respectively.  Also, 66 East is also posted at 70 from 81 to Gainesville IIRC.

EDIT: Changed Blacksburg to Christiansburg since I-81 technically doesn't go to Blacksburg.  I see why you would put that though as I'm a Hokie. -Mark
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

74/171FAN

Quote from: njroadhorse on November 21, 2010, 08:13:03 PM
I can happily report that you can go 70 on Interstate 81 from Christiansburg to Strasburg, except in Salem/Roanoke, Staunton, and Harrisonburg.  Those are 60, 65, and 60 respectively.  Also, 66 East is also posted at 70 from 81 to Gainesville IIRC.

EDIT: Changed Blacksburg to Christiansburg since I-81 technically doesn't go to Blacksburg.  I see why you would put that though as I'm a Hokie. -Mark
Actually I'm sure that I-81 between Christiansburg and Salem was supposed to remain 65.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

njroadhorse

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 22, 2010, 12:32:08 AM
I can happily report that you can go 70 on Interstate 81 from Christiansburg to Strasburg, except in Salem/Roanoke, Staunton, and Harrisonburg.  Those are 60, 65, and 60 respectively.  Also, 66 East is also posted at 70 from 81 to Gainesville IIRC.

Actually I'm sure that I-81 between Christiansburg and Salem was supposed to remain 65.
I definitely saw 70 after Exit 118.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

WillWeaverRVA

I-95 between SR 802 (Lewistown Road) and the US 1 exit in Spotsylvania is now posted at 70mph.

Ignore the watermarks, I accidentally had Lightroom watermark ALL the photos I took on Saturday and not just the non-road-related ones.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

I-95 south of US 301(exit 45) to the NC state line(I'm presuming it goes all the way there) is now 70 as of tonight.
Quote from: njroadhorse on November 22, 2010, 09:32:58 PM

As of last Thursday I know I-81 did not become 70 until past Roanoke/Salem until after the US 220/US 220 ALT exit (Exit 150).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 22, 2010, 11:35:59 PM
I-95 south of US 301(exit 45) to the NC state line(I'm presuming it goes all the way there) is now 70 as of tonight.

Emporia must be crying right about now.

froggie

QuoteEmporia must be crying right about now.

Not really.  Most of their enforcement is along US 58.

deathtopumpkins

Well VDOT's really been busy... I-64 west of VA 199 is now posted at 70 as well. A friend of mine who commutes from Williamsburg told me when it went up but I was unable to verify until tonight. And interestingly enough, traffic isn't moving any faster. I stuck to the left lane with the cruise control set at 75 my whole trip.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

Not that surprising.  Most people don't care about speed limits beyond knowing how much they have to slow down if they see a cop.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 22, 2010, 11:35:59 PM
Quote from: njroadhorse on November 22, 2010, 09:32:58 PM

As of last Thursday I know I-81 did not become 70 until past Roanoke/Salem until after the US 220/US 220 ALT exit (Exit 150).
I did see 70 going SB on the I-81 C/D Road at exit 118 but idk of where the 70 section technically ends NB.

froggie

Some of the news media up here is reporting that VDOT has finished the job.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: froggie on November 25, 2010, 12:25:57 PM
QuoteEmporia must be crying right about now.

Not really.  Most of their enforcement is along US 58.

I have yet to drive through Emporia once and NOT see someone pulled over on I-95. Surrounding Greensville County isn't much better either.

froggie

QuoteI have yet to drive through Emporia once and NOT see someone pulled over on I-95. Surrounding Greensville County isn't much better either.

Meanwhile, I have yet to drive through Emporia and actually SEE someone pulled over on I-95.  As for Greensville County, their favorite place to hide is in the median on 58 just on their side of the Greensville/Southampton County line, which is at the top of a small rise.

1995hoo

Quote from: deanej on November 26, 2010, 01:15:02 PM
Not that surprising.  Most people don't care about speed limits beyond knowing how much they have to slow down if they see a cop.

The thing I've found irritating when I've driven on I-66 since the 70-mph limit was posted is that people slow down to 60 mph every time they see a cop even if they're only doing 70. Last time I went out that way earlier this spring I had the cruise control set at 70 and wasn't passing anyone, yet everyone else still slowed down when there was a cop in the median (I did not, and he didn't budge). I guess after so many years of being conditioned to the idea that going 70 mph was "speeding" people find it hard to break that habit.

As some other comments very early in this thread have noted, the 70-mph statute doesn't restrict the higher speed limit to Interstates only, but VDOT has refused to consider any non-Interstates. I think the Dulles Greenway is one "Interstate look-alike" that could easily accommodate a 70-mph limit, although no doubt a lower limit would be posted on the approach to the toll plaza and perhaps on the approach to the western end of the road in Leesburg. (I recognize why with all the construction they would not consider the original Dulles Toll Road for a higher limit.)

VDOT seems generally unwilling to consider splitting the speed limit so that one side of a highway has a higher limit than the other, and I've never been sure why. I recall back in the summer of 1997 when I was living in Montgomery, Alabama, the state posted a 70-mph limit on northbound I-65 immediately when you crossed the river leaving town, yet on the same stretch of highway going south the limit was either 60 or 65. That sort of thing has always made sense to me in urban areas or in areas where there are more ramps on one side of the highway (say, partial interchanges), yet it's very uncommon.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 28, 2011, 06:03:03 PM
VDOT seems generally unwilling to consider splitting the speed limit so that one side of a highway has a higher limit than the other, and I've never been sure why. I recall back in the summer of 1997 when I was living in Montgomery, Alabama, the state posted a 70-mph limit on northbound I-65 immediately when you crossed the river leaving town, yet on the same stretch of highway going south the limit was either 60 or 65. That sort of thing has always made sense to me in urban areas or in areas where there are more ramps on one side of the highway (say, partial interchanges), yet it's very uncommon.

is that even legal?  I would imagine for separate carriageways it may be, but I know many states will throw out tickets if the speed limit for a road is different for the two directions.  for example, signed 35 one way and 25 the other, I've heard of a ticket for 32 being thrown out.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 28, 2011, 06:42:29 PM

is that even legal?  I would imagine for separate carriageways it may be, but I know many states will throw out tickets if the speed limit for a road is different for the two directions.  for example, signed 35 one way and 25 the other, I've heard of a ticket for 32 being thrown out.

Totally a question of state law on legality. I was thinking of dual-carriageways, true, in which case there's little reason for concern about different speed limits, but since the feds have no say on speed limits since 1995, it's up to each state whether to allow such things.

Virginia tends to take a very restrictive (IMO paranoid) approach where the General Assembly insists on retaining excessive control. VDOT's ability to set limits is very narrow. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Not really.  VDOT has a lot of power to set speed limits...they just don't use it very often.

vdeane

Quote from: deanej on November 26, 2010, 01:15:02 PM
Not that surprising.  Most people don't care about speed limits beyond knowing how much they have to slow down if they see a cop.

The thing I've found irritating when I've driven on I-66 since the 70-mph limit was posted is that people slow down to 60 mph every time they see a cop even if they're only doing 70. Last time I went out that way earlier this spring I had the cruise control set at 70 and wasn't passing anyone, yet everyone else still slowed down when there was a cop in the median (I did not, and he didn't budge). I guess after so many years of being conditioned to the idea that going 70 mph was "speeding" people find it hard to break that habit.

As some other comments very early in this thread have noted, the 70-mph statute doesn't restrict the higher speed limit to Interstates only, but VDOT has refused to consider any non-Interstates. I think the Dulles Greenway is one "Interstate look-alike" that could easily accommodate a 70-mph limit, although no doubt a lower limit would be posted on the approach to the toll plaza and perhaps on the approach to the western end of the road in Leesburg. (I recognize why with all the construction they would not consider the original Dulles Toll Road for a higher limit.)

Well, don't hold your breath for people to get used to it.  A ton of people drive 55 on I-490 even though the limit on some portions was increased to 65 a decade ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 28, 2011, 06:42:29 PM

I-79 in Pennsylvania, between I-70 and the WV state line, has a split speed limit for a stretch. 65 in one direction, 55 in the other.

It's between I-70 and WV, and I know where you're talking about. - rmf67

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.