News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Northern Parkway

Started by 707, April 26, 2016, 01:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the project dead? I've looked everywhere for news updates and on the official Maricopa County site for the project and have found thus far, no mention of the Northern Parkway project still under construction.

Max Rockatansky

The Ghostbuster

Have patience. It will probably be completed as scheduled, or am I being overly optimistic?

swbrotha100

Haven't seen anything other than stakes on the side of the road to mark utilities over by Dysart Rd and El Mirage Rd. I assumed that Maricopa County was working from west to east on this project. If anything is actually worked on in the near future that the average driver can see, it will be the Dysart to El Mirage section.

Sonic99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2016, 08:28:36 AM
Doesn't say it's dead according to the website:

http://www.mcdot.maricopa.gov/northernparkway/projects.htm

Interesting to see the dates though, many say 2014/2015 for completion, and 2016 for the Northern/101 interchange, and the project is seemingly stalled out.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 26, 2016, 05:54:16 PM

Interesting to see the dates though, many say 2014/2015 for completion, and 2016 for the Northern/101 interchange, and the project is seemingly stalled out.

Probably running shorting on funding I would assume?

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2016, 10:11:35 PM

No idea, but I wish they'd say something. There's nothing built out there despite a "2015" completion date and its already April of 2016.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 707 on April 27, 2016, 12:56:51 AM

No idea, but I wish they'd say something. There's nothing built out there despite a "2015" completion date and its already April of 2016.

Problem is that the bulk of the funding is coming from MCDOT and all those local cities.  What they might have available could be fairly wonky in comparison to a statewide agency like ADOT.  I'm actually kind of surprised that this wasn't pursued as Arizona State Highway or at least get ADOT partially interested but it was kind of the same thing with AZ 303 before it was a freeway.

Sonic99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2016, 08:30:59 AM

Problem is that the bulk of the funding is coming from MCDOT and all those local cities.  What they might have available could be fairly wonky in comparison to a statewide agency like ADOT.  I'm actually kind of surprised that this wasn't pursued as Arizona State Highway or at least get ADOT partially interested but it was kind of the same thing with AZ 303 before it was a freeway.

It does seem like it would be a very natural part to be part of the valley freeway system and get an AZ route number. The 303 was built as the two-lane road by Maricopa County to hold the space, then the upgrade to freeway was done by ADOT. Maybe MCDOT would do the bulk of the initial construction, then ADOT come in later and take over maintenance and incorporate it into the system saving the municipalities the upkeep costs of a full freeway?
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

swbrotha100

Max Rockatansky

Project programming reads like lack of funding to me.

The Ghostbuster

That's the problem! There's never enough money to fund everything you want to be built.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2016, 04:42:01 PM
That's the problem! There's never enough money to fund everything you want to be built.

I'm just amazed they built the freeway to Dysart. It's really a shame they didn't finish it though. It's a pretty little freeway too.

kdk

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 28, 2016, 01:03:15 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2016, 08:30:59 AM

It does seem like it would be a very natural part to be part of the valley freeway system and get an AZ route number. The 303 was built as the two-lane road by Maricopa County to hold the space, then the upgrade to freeway was done by ADOT. Maybe MCDOT would do the bulk of the initial construction, then ADOT come in later and take over maintenance and incorporate it into the system saving the municipalities the upkeep costs of a full freeway?

I think the 303 was a little different.  It was originally part an ADOT project, but then when funding was cut it was transferred to MCDOT and managed by them for years until funding was restored and transferred back to ADOT.  Which is why it had a state route.

As for Northern Parkway, if it does become an ADOT highway if it ever gets finished, AZ 50 would sort of make sense since that was the original number for this planned alignment, although the original portion wasn't ever built anyway.

Max Rockatansky

I kind of see Northern Parkway like the Pioneer Parkway up in Prescott Valley.  The portion that carries 89A got finished a long time ago but it took forever to upgrade Fain Road to Expressway standards.  I just wish Yavapai County would eliminate that one big grade intersection where 89A comes in south west out of Jerome.  I don't think you'll find too many examples elsewhere in the country other than Nevada and Arizona where segments of freeway are literally at best county routes.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe if the parkway is completed as proposed, they can bring back the AZ 50 designation.

Sonic99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2016, 09:45:53 PM
I kind of see Northern Parkway like the Pioneer Parkway up in Prescott Valley.  The portion that carries 89A got finished a long time ago but it took forever to upgrade Fain Road to Expressway standards.  I just wish Yavapai County would eliminate that one big grade intersection where 89A comes in south west out of Jerome.  I don't think you'll find too many examples elsewhere in the country other than Nevada and Arizona where segments of freeway are literally at best county routes.

That would be Robert Rd, and I believe I saw an estimated build year for a grade-separated crossing around 2021.

Max Rockatansky

Been awhile since we've talked about Northern Parkway.  Wrote up something since I flew over the corridor last week:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/06/northern-parkway.html?m=1

JKRhodes

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 24, 2023, 04:39:40 PM
Been awhile since we've talked about Northern Parkway.  Wrote up something since I flew over the corridor last week:

I don't make it out there often or really have it on my radar as far as road projects go, so it's surprising to see how much Maricopa County has chipped away at it. There's a ton of warehouses going up in the area which are/will be well served by it.

From Agua Fria River and Loop 101 is going to be a doozy. Wonder if they'll doze a few dozen homes or try to squeeze it in. At current real estate prices I could see it going either way.

between 101 and Grand it is so densely developed that I would be very surprised to see any sort of parkway/freeway-ization in my lifetime.

Sonic99

Quote from: JKRhodes on August 05, 2023, 02:43:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 24, 2023, 04:39:40 PM

I don't make it out there often or really have it on my radar as far as road projects go, so it's surprising to see how much Maricopa County has chipped away at it. There's a ton of warehouses going up in the area which are/will be well served by it.

From Agua Fria River and Loop 101 is going to be a doozy. Wonder if they'll doze a few dozen homes or try to squeeze it in. At current real estate prices I could see it going either way.

between 101 and Grand it is so densely developed that I would be very surprised to see any sort of parkway/freeway-ization in my lifetime.

I think the next phase over to near the 101 is going to be standard "parkway" with limited or no left turns. So no grade separations or ramps that need more RoW. Just a fairly free-flowing surface street.

Looking at Google Maps, only place that looks like they might need to take any homes is right at 108th Ave. Maybe one or two homes. Everywhere else seems to have buffer to either the north or south side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.