AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: I-88 tollway in Illinois  (Read 23396 times)

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
Re: I-88 tollway in Illinois
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »

In just a few short weeks, I will be getting ready to make my drive from my home in Michigan to Dubuque, Iowa, for the road meet coming up on May 4. I've already determined most of my route, and it will include clinching I-88 (between my route out to Dubuque and my route back to Michigan).

I do not have an I-Pass or EZPass and will if course plan to use cash to pay the tolls along I-88. My question is... does I-88 use a ticket system for its tolls (with a live person at each toll plaza), or do I need to have exact change for each toll? One of the things I plan to do is stay overnight at a motel off I-88 in DeKalb, so I will exit I-88 and then re-enter the next morning. I know sometimes those minor exits do not have a live person working the tolls.

I've driven very little of that tollway, so any information would be helpful as I plan this upcoming trip. Thanks in advance!

If you want all of I-88 without going through the Circle Interchange, take I-294 north to the I-290 EAST exit.  Exit at Mannheim Rd NORTH (US-12/20/45) and get on the Ike (I-290) WEST.  Then move to the left and take the very beginning of I-88 - signed for Aurora and IL-38, Roosevelt Rd.

Why wouldn't he or she just take the ramp from 294 North onto 88 instead of having to deal with the Hillside Strangler?

Because that ramp enters I-88 wbd about 2 miles west of the actual beginning of I-88.  I-88 begins at I-290 east of I-294.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »

In just a few short weeks, I will be getting ready to make my drive from my home in Michigan to Dubuque, Iowa, for the road meet coming up on May 4. I've already determined most of my route, and it will include clinching I-88 (between my route out to Dubuque and my route back to Michigan).

I do not have an I-Pass or EZPass and will if course plan to use cash to pay the tolls along I-88. My question is... does I-88 use a ticket system for its tolls (with a live person at each toll plaza), or do I need to have exact change for each toll? One of the things I plan to do is stay overnight at a motel off I-88 in DeKalb, so I will exit I-88 and then re-enter the next morning. I know sometimes those minor exits do not have a live person working the tolls.

I've driven very little of that tollway, so any information would be helpful as I plan this upcoming trip. Thanks in advance!

If you want all of I-88 without going through the Circle Interchange, take I-294 north to the I-290 EAST exit.  Exit at Mannheim Rd NORTH (US-12/20/45) and get on the Ike (I-290) WEST.  Then move to the left and take the very beginning of I-88 - signed for Aurora and IL-38, Roosevelt Rd.

Why wouldn't he or she just take the ramp from 294 North onto 88 instead of having to deal with the Hillside Strangler?

Because that ramp enters I-88 wbd about 2 miles west of the actual beginning of I-88.  I-88 begins at I-290 east of I-294.

Technically yes it does start 2 miles back. But in terms of the original OP question asked, I don't really 2 miles is gonna matter to the trip
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »

2 miles matter for anal clenching.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

• Stop making sense

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »

Technically yes it does start 2 miles back. But in terms of the original OP question asked, I don't really 2 miles is gonna matter to the trip

However, if your intent is to clinch the route, those two miles do make a difference.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:19:12 PM
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »

I should follow up on this post and let everyone know what happened.

I didn't completely decide on how to handle my exiting of I-88 until while we were on the road. I knew I'd be spending several dollars on tolls along I-88 (both heading toward Dubuque and heading back home), so I opted to pay as few tolls as possible everywhere else. We took I-80/94 west (the Borman and Kingery Expressways) to I-94 west (the Bishop Ford) to I-90/94 (the Dan Ryan) to I-290 west to the beginning (eastern terminus) of I-88. We could have taken either the the Tri-State to eastbound I-88 (to get those easternmost 2 miles and turn around), but my goal was to pay zero in tolls until arriving at I-88.

We ran into some heavy traffic approaching downtown Chicago on the Dan Ryan, but once we got onto I-290 west it was a breeze.

It's funny. I had come prepared with a whole bunch of change in case I needed it. It turns out that every toll booth we drove through had a live person who could have given me exact change if I needed it. The reason we only went through the manned toll booths was because, Friday night, I took I-88 all the way to I-39 and backtracked east into DeKalb via IL 38. Then Saturday morning, we took IL 38 west back to I-39.

Saturday afternoon I only paid one toll along I-88 eastbound (somewhere before I-39). That was also a manned toll booth.
-A.J. from Michigan

Mdcastle

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:26:39 PM
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 10:15:29 AM »

I'd agree with the consensus. The two miles count towards clinching.

As far as E-ZPass, so you buy one and own it rather than rent it and turn it in when your account closes?
So is there an agency that would sell me one that doesn't have a monthly fee?

Brandon

• Stop making sense

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »

As far as E-ZPass, so you buy one and own it rather than rent it and turn it in when your account closes?

A few, including the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority.  It's $50 total, a $10 deposit and $40 in pre-paid tolls.

sandwalk

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 11:46:39 AM
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »

A few, including the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority.  It's $50 total, a $10 deposit and $40 in pre-paid tolls.

The I-Pass is the way to go, in my opinion. I'm from Ohio originally and went to college in Illinois and bought the I-Pass back in 2006. Fast forward to now where I can use the I-Pass in both Indiana and Ohio (when I make trips home) and everywhere else on the EZ-Pass system. Even though there is that small fee in Indiana, it far outweighs a monthly fee and other issues had I purchased a transponder in another state.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »

Am I the only one who laughed?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

Am I the only one who laughed?

I chortled.

Take that, shunpikers!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.