News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-64 updates

Started by ShawnP, October 19, 2010, 05:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

Interstate 64 projects for expansion and six laning coming along nicely.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/84-WHAS/105344280801

Alex

Drove through the construction zone from Interstate 265 east to the Shelby County line a few weeks ago. Also noticed that temporary style signs are still in use at Exit 32.

The article is no longer the number one entry, so here it is:

QuoteI-64 Construction Update

One project done, a second nears completion, the third should be done next summer
Tuesday, October 19, 2010

LOUISVILLE, Ky.  --  One Interstate-64 widening project is done, another is rapidly nearing complettion, while a third remains on schedule to wrap up next summer.

Andrea Clifford with the Transportation Cabinet says the stretch of westbound I-64 between Hurstbourne and the Watterson is now done, making it four lanes there, with two dedicated exit lanes at the Watterson.

She says widening of I-64 between the Gene Snyder and the Shelby County line should be completed by Thanksgiving, while the part between the county line and Simpsonville will wrap up next summer. Both projects will result in three lanes in both directions.

Clifford adds, the next phase of widening will be between Simpsonville to the second Shelbyville exit. While design work is done, she says they are awaiting funding from the General Assembly for it to begin.

hbelkins

Those temporary style signs have been there for years. There used to be an overhead at that exit but I don't know what happened to it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

I-64 widening moving east for another 5 miles or so. Slowly but surely working towards Lexington on I-64. KYTC's six year plan has a bridge widening project for Franklin County (Frankfort Area) as the next project. The Kentucky River bridges will be the hardest project of all.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120809/NEWS01/308090091/Work-start-64-widening-Shelby-County

hbelkins

Quote from: ShawnP on August 09, 2012, 03:36:51 PM
I-64 widening moving east for another 5 miles or so. Slowly but surely working towards Lexington on I-64. KYTC's six year plan has a bridge widening project for Franklin County (Frankfort Area) as the next project. The Kentucky River bridges will be the hardest project of all.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120809/NEWS01/308090091/Work-start-64-widening-Shelby-County

Yeah, I heard about this today. Just makes getting to Louisville that much harder for the time being. They shouldn't have to do much blasting along this portion if they can build the third lanes in the median.

ShawnP

They look to be doing the Median and also reworking a exit. Good for KYTC for taking care of the exit and the exit ramps. Many states would have just did the six lanning and left the exits alone to save money (but in the long term lose many as construction costs always increase in the out years).

hbelkins

That KY 55 exit has needed work -- and proper signage -- for years.

ShawnP

55 is subpar by Interstate standards. Many in Kentucky complain about KYTC but I have been very impressed by their six lanning work on Interstates and their willingness to push six lanning thru. For instance not one inch of I-70 in Missouri is six lanned outside of the St. Louis and KC metro areas. Kentucky is working over finishing every inch of I-65 and a large portion of I-75 (KYTC six year plan includes another 14 miles) plus working towards six lanning from Louisville to Lexington. A small rural state in Kentucky is kicking Missouri's butt on it's highways work.

tidecat

The press release I got today stares April 2014 for the completion to mile marker 32.8.  I'm kind of surprised that's where the cutoff is given how close it is to the exit.  I'm also surprised that the next phase doesn't include the other Shelbyville exit.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

ShawnP

Wish it had included the other exit but better than nothing. One project at a time.

seicer

Quote from: ShawnP on August 10, 2012, 10:24:47 AM
55 is subpar by Interstate standards. Many in Kentucky complain about KYTC but I have been very impressed by their six lanning work on Interstates and their willingness to push six lanning thru. For instance not one inch of I-70 in Missouri is six lanned outside of the St. Louis and KC metro areas. Kentucky is working over finishing every inch of I-65 and a large portion of I-75 (KYTC six year plan includes another 14 miles) plus working towards six lanning from Louisville to Lexington. A small rural state in Kentucky is kicking Missouri's butt on it's highways work.

Kentucky also pegs its gasoline tax to inflation, so we are never short of funds.

codyg1985

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on August 14, 2012, 11:59:01 AM
Quote from: ShawnP on August 10, 2012, 10:24:47 AM

Kentucky also pegs its gasoline tax to inflation, so we are never short of funds.

Smart thing to do if you want decent monies to fund highway construction. *ducks*
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ShawnP

Well Kentucky hasn't totally run short of road money like Missouri which is de facto bankrupt on it's road projects.

tidecat

Saw a new batch of signs sitting in the back of a truck in the work zone today.  Naturally they are in Clearview, and all of the references to exit 32A/32B are now exit 32.

hbelkins

Quote from: tidecat on April 01, 2014, 09:26:20 PM
Saw a new batch of signs sitting in the back of a truck in the work zone today.  Naturally they are in Clearview, and all of the references to exit 32A/32B are now exit 32.

Yes, they have eliminated the two eastbound exits there in favor of a single exit to KY 55. Which I really don't understand, because previously traffic heading north to KY 55/Shelbyville used a cloverleaf ramp and could merge directly onto KY 55 without stopping. And I'd guess that most of the traffic using that exit turns north, not south.

FWIW, the BGSes for that exit eastbound have been gone for years -- and I mean like 15 years or more. There were some small temporary signs posted there. I don't know why Kentucky never replaced the BGSes, as they are usually pretty good about replacing guide signs that get knocked down.

tidecat

On 64 WB between Georgetown and Frankfort, the rest area was closed today.  Anyone know why?

hbelkins

When that happens, it's usually either for no water or a problem with the sewer system. I think those rest areas have small package sewage treatment plants.

hbelkins

tidecat

Widening between Simpsonville and Shelbyville is drawing to a close.  Some of the temporary barriers on EB I-64 started being removed yesterday, and striping on the new EB lanes has begun.

seicer

It looks like signage replacements have been ongoing in the central Kentucky region - many of the older signs have been swapped for Clearview replacements. Paving looks to be starting this summer on I-64 between the two Frankfort interchanges, and with the steep grades there - that'll be fun to sit in. Meanwhile, the 40-year-old+ concrete pavement east of there to Midway is getting pretty darn ratty.

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on May 22, 2014, 09:49:28 AM
It looks like signage replacements have been ongoing in the central Kentucky region - many of the older signs have been swapped for Clearview replacements. Paving looks to be starting this summer on I-64 between the two Frankfort interchanges, and with the steep grades there - that'll be fun to sit in. Meanwhile, the 40-year-old+ concrete pavement east of there to Midway is getting pretty darn ratty.

They swapped out for Clearview at Exit 110 and Exit 115 when those exits were redone. I didn't realize that they were going to pave between the Frankfort exits.

The section between Lexington and Midway was paved about 16 or so years ago and portions of it haven't held up well. They did diamond grinding on that concrete section about 10 years ago.

ShawnP

You ain't lying on the section between Lexington and Midway. It's in very poor shape and the worst section in the whole Commonwealth on I-64. Needs replaced/repaired ASAP. It's almost at I-71 bad standards.

seicer

And when you were at I-71 bad standards - well, I-64 still has a way to go. I remember deep holes with cars lined up with flats after hitting holes on I-71, and piles of gravel on the shoulder. The last rehab on the northern stretch from I-75 south for about 10 miles was much needed and was one of the worst highways I've ever driven on.

I don't know if you remember I-64 near Morehead - that was a wild ride. 40 year old concrete, a large hump at the Farmers/Sharkley exit (you could go airbourne at over 90 MPH), and just awful, awful pavement going east up the grade out of the valley.

hbelkins

You all will be pleased to know that a contract is being advertised for this month to "mill and fill" that stretch of I-64 from Midway to I-75. Supposed to be done by Oct. 15. That will be a traffic nightmare, especially with the Leestown Road widening project going on.

seicer

Oh boy. I tried taking US 421 a few times, but the traffic signals by New Circle add at least 20 minutes in stop-and-go for me. I-64 is usually pretty good at two-lanes in each direction. I don't know what it'll be like with one - unless they do it at night or on the weekends like by Frankfort.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.