News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

KYTC to Study Interstate Upgrades For Audubon and Natcher Parkways

Started by Grzrd, January 19, 2011, 10:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: thefro on February 22, 2014, 10:36:43 AM
http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/local/article_ae6bbc7b-cd31-5496-896a-972bbc792cb9.html
This article reports the study has been expanded to examine the entire proposed "I-67" corridor which is why it isn't finished yet.

The article provides some information contained in the report and reports that KYTC delivered a draft copy of the report to FHWA on November 19, 2013 and that the ball is currently in FHWA's court to move the study along:

A highway "spur" study that Owensboro Mayor Ron Payne wants to get his hands on has been delayed, records show, because state officials asked that it be expanded to take a look at a proposed I-67 corridor – which, if it is ever built, would finally bring an interstate highway to Owensboro.
Palmer Engineering, a Winchester firm, was chosen in 2011 to perform a "strategic corridor planning study," or scoping study, of the Audubon and Natcher parkways and a section of U.S. 60 in Owensboro for use as possible I-69 and I-65/I-66 spurs. But two years after the study got underway, the firm was asked to also study the proposed I-67 corridor along U.S. 60 and U.S. 231, the William H. Natcher Bridge and Indiana 66 ....
Adding the I-67 study to the original contract has delayed the completion of Palmer's contract, and no firm date has been set for the release of the entire report, which Payne has repeatedly said he wants to see ....
The Messenger-Inquirer filed an open records request with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet seeking to see the Palmer report. The request was denied, a state official said, because it was still in "draft" status and not finished. Drafts of unfinished reports are exempt from open records requirements. However, the cabinet complied with subsequent open records requests, and those records show that Palmer was asked last year to do additional work as a modification to the original contract.
Palmer's original contract was $278,802 with a final deadline for the work on Nov. 30, 2012. The fee for the additional work was $26,574, with a final deadline of July 1, 2013, for the work to be delivered. Minutes of an Aug. 2, 2013, progress meeting with state transportation officials and Palmer employees show that the draft report of the I-67 corridor study, including crash analysis and cost estimates for improving the corridor to meet interstate standards, would be provided to the cabinet for review, and a meeting of an "interdisciplinary team" would be scheduled.
"To date, this has not occurred," Ann Stansel, records custodian for Transportation Cabinet, stated in an email to the Messenger-Inquirer dated Thursday. "FHWA (Federal Highway Administration) is currently reviewing the document and are to make their comments available to KYTC (Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.) A meeting will be scheduled once those comments are submitted to, and successfully addressed, by KYTC."
Stansel said the draft (I-67) report was provided to federal officials on Nov. 19, 2013
While the full report by Palmer Engineering has not been released, the minutes of the Aug. 2 progress report meeting sheds a lot of light on the types of improvements the highways will need to meet interstate standards.
For instance, Chapter 8 of the unreleased report contains an estimate of $37.5 million ($5.6 million per mile) to improve the former U.S. 60 bypass to meet interstate standards, including improving interchanges with the parkways. The Natcher interchange is surrounded by residential development that could be impacted, the report says, while the existing interchange with the Audubon is adjacent to the Jack C. Fisher Park softball complex that would also likely be affected ....
Twenty-four of 40 bridges less that 200 feet in length on the parkways and U.S. 60 (20 on the Natcher and four on U.S. 60) do not meet the 39-foot minimum horizontal clearance for interstates, making them not wide enough, according to the meeting minutes. In addition, 12 bridges longer than 200 feet do not meet the 31-foot minimum horizontal clearance, all of them on the Natcher. Two overpasses on the Natcher and one on U.S. 60 do not meet the 16-foot vertical clearance requirement. Meanwhile, every interchange in the study area has some type of ramp deficiency, the report said.

andy3175

Of note in this link is Mayor Payne's position on rerouting I-69 and Mayor Winnecke's opposition of I-67 until I-69 is done, as well as Kentucky's position of not rerouting I-69 into Owensboro:

http://www.the-messenger.com/developing_news/article_3d9c8f3b-ec0b-5434-a652-9a13151cbc55.html

QuotePayne's quest to re-route I-69 through Owensboro was shot down by Mike Hancock, secretary of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, and harshly criticized by Evansville Mayor Lloyd Winnecke and others, but Payne has remained undeterred while pointedly asking about the status of the Palmer report, which was said to be nearly complete in 2012.

Hancock said the state does not plan to reroute I-69 through Owensboro.

Winnecke said he will not support funding for I-67 until I-69 is finished, including the building of a bridge over the Ohio River at Evansville.

Until very recently, Payne and other local officials have engaged in a campaign to create I-67 – a new interstate that would connect to I-69 at Washington, Ind., then head south on U.S. 231 to Jasper and on to the existing Natcher Bridge, then follow U.S. 60 into Owensboro, before continuing southeast to Bowling Green and I-65 utilizing the Natcher Parkway.

Payne has questioned the need to build an I-69 bridge over the Ohio River between Evansville and Henderson, when the Natcher Bridge stands ready to serve as the I-69 connector between Indiana and Kentucky. The alternate route he advocates for I-69 is the same route officials in this area of southern Indiana and Kentucky have touted for I-67.

Payne said Friday he did not know the I-67 study had been added to the Palmer contract but was glad it was.

"It could again support what I'm saying, why not combine I-69 and I-67 and bring I-69 through Owensboro?" Payne said. "It looks like the cabinet is studying it. So it just brings up the issue of why is I-69 is so finalized, which is an issue that needs to be looked at. It comes back to the cost of a new bridge, and no one seems to want to explore that, at least west of here. I understand their position, but these are tough economic times. Not building that bridge could expedite I-69. I'm delighted they are studying this. Regardless, if we can't re-route I-69, it will help I-67.

"But still, why do we need to build an additional bridge? No one has answered that question. I want that question answered."
Payne said he sent letters Friday to U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul and U.S. Rep. Brett Guthrie and local state representatives Tommy Thompson, Jim Glenn and Suzanne Miles asking that the questions he has raised be explored.
"I did not send a letter to (Sen.) Joe Bowen because he is already on board with this," Payne said.

Payne said there is another value in studying the I-67 corridor.

"Regardless of whether we raise our roads to interstate standards, if we get those additional miles of four-lane in southern Indiana (connecting I-69 to U.S. 231), it gives us a four-lane road from Nashville to Indianapolis via I-69," Payne said. "I would like to see that proceed regardless of what happens with I-69. But that is being held hostage by this (new) bridge and a route going through Evansville. Even if we don't spend the money to upgrade our roads to interstate standards, if you build the added piece, we have four lanes to Indianapolis and ultimately Chicago, which is something we really need to happen. Whether it's I-69 or I-67 or just a four-lane, it would be big in terms of economic impact on this community."

Some of the deficiencies along the parkway and US 60 bypass are also discussed at the end of the article:

QuoteWhile the full report by Palmer Engineering has not been released, the minutes of the Aug. 2 progress report meeting sheds a lot of light on the types of improvements the highways will need to meet interstate standards.

For instance, Chapter 8 of the unreleased report contains an estimate of $37.5 million ($5.6 million per mile) to improve the former U.S. 60 bypass to meet interstate standards, including improving interchanges with the parkways.

The Natcher interchange is surrounded by residential development that could be impacted, the report says, while the existing interchange with the Audubon is adjacent to the Jack C. Fisher Park softball complex that would also likely be affected.

Twenty-four of 40 bridges less that 200 feet in length on the parkways and U.S. 60 (20 on the Natcher and four on U.S. 60) do not meet the 39-foot minimum horizontal clearance for interstates, making them not wide enough, according to the meeting minutes. In addition, 12 bridges longer than 200 feet do not meet the 31-foot minimum horizontal clearance, all of them on the Natcher. Two overpasses on the Natcher and one on U.S. 60 do not meet the 16-foot vertical clearance requirement. Meanwhile, every interchange in the study area has some type of ramp deficiency, the report said.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 22, 2014, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: thefro on February 22, 2014, 10:36:43 AM
http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/local/article_ae6bbc7b-cd31-5496-896a-972bbc792cb9.html
This article reports the study has been expanded to examine the entire proposed "I-67" corridor which is why it isn't finished yet.
The article provides some information contained in the report and reports that KYTC delivered a draft copy of the report to FHWA on November 19, 2013 and that the ball is currently in FHWA's court to move the study along

This April 23 messenger-inquirer.com editorial voices the suspicion that KYTC is falsely claiming that the report is still in a "draft" stage (and thus not available for release to the public) and notes that legislation was recently enacted requiring that the report be completed no later than September 30, 2015:

... other leaders are starting to emerge – namely state Sen. Joe Bowen and the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce – who understand that waiting for someone in Frankfort or Washington to help us out will simply leave us ignored as we have been for decades. We have to come together as a community, show what we have to offer and work to ensure the necessary improvements are made to existing parkways to become Interstate 65/Interstate 66 spurs, or better yet become part of the route for new roads such as I-69 or I-67.
Bowen gave a big boost to the effort last week when he was able to include language in the transportation funding bill that requires the state to submit a report on "interstate opportunities using existing infrastructure as it relates to the William H. Natcher Parkway as a connecting spur to I-65" by Sept. 30, 2015.
In reality, the report that Bowen is seeking is already underway. In fact, we believe it's already finished, and the state Transportation Cabinet – for reasons that are unclear, but almost certainly political – claims it is still in a "draft" stage, and thus not open for inspection.
It's known as the Palmer study, which was commissioned in 2011 and was supposed to be completed by March 2013, at the latest. It's already more than a year past due, and nobody can say for certain when it will be completed.
If nothing else, Bowen has ensured the report will be completed by Sept. 30, 2015. The fact this study has taken more than three years to complete is ridiculous, and yet another example of the inefficiency that dominates most government work. It's a shame that it takes a state senator to mandate to a government agency that they actually complete something they were tasked to do, but it's clear that without Bowen doing this, the Transportation Cabinet was going to delay as long as possible.

What would be the political motivation for KYTC to delay releasing the report?

hbelkins

Quote from: Grzrd on April 28, 2014, 07:43:03 PM
What would be the political motivation for KYTC to delay releasing the report?

There isn't one, and I would expect KYTC to respond to this.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 28, 2014, 07:43:03 PM
This April 23 messenger-inquirer.com editorial:
the Palmer study, which was commissioned in 2011 and was supposed to be completed by March 2013, at the latest. It's already more than a year past due, and nobody can say for certain when it will be completed.

This article (behind $1.00 paywall) reports that the Palmer report should be ready for release by the end of May:

Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Amy Jackson said Tuesday that the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has confirmed to chamber members that it should have the state study, often called the Palmer report, ready for public release by the end of May.
The highly anticipated Palmer report is said to be examining, among other issues, the work that would be required to establish the Audubon and William H. Natcher parkways and parts of U.S. 60 as either interstate spurs or actual interstate highways. The examination of these local roads is part of a more in-depth "scoping study" of I-69 spurs that Palmer Engineering of Winchester conducted ....
An auto response letter sent to chamber members on behalf of Transportation Secretary Mike Hancock said the cabinet has been working with the Federal Highway Administration to finalize the I-69 spur study.
"The study should be finalized by the end of May and made available to the public through KYTC's website
," the response states.
The Palmer firm was chosen in 2011 to perform a "strategic corridor planning study," or scoping study, of the Audubon and Natcher parkways and a section of U.S. 60 in Owensboro for use as possible I-69 and I-65/I-66 spurs. But two years after the study got under way, the firm was asked to also study the proposed I-67 corridor along U.S. 60 and U.S. 231, the William H. Natcher Bridge and Indiana 66. I-66 is a proposed east-west interstate that would cross the southern portion of Kentucky, passing through Bowling Green.

Owensboro Mayor Payne has also been speaking with the folks in Indiana:

Owensboro Mayor Ron Payne has been leading the charge to get an interstate through Owensboro or to get the city connected to an interstate via a four-lane highway.
An Indiana Department of Transportation official met Friday with Payne and Kentucky Sen. Joe Bowen and confirmed Monday that he anticipates Indiana will take a look at a four-lane connector linking Owensboro to I-69 in southern Indiana.
He said Indiana sees a lot of value in a connection from I-69 through the Jasper-Huntingburg area to Owensboro and on to I-65 in Nashville and points south.

Payne said Tuesday that he's really pleased to hear a date for the Palmer study's release and he's anxious to see what it says.
"But that doesn't mean we've completely stopped our efforts here in Owensboro," the mayor said. "We're going to continue working to get Owensboro on the interstate system."
Payne said after talking to the INDOT official, he's excited about "two good options" for getting that done -- the Natcher Parkway becoming a connector to I-65 or something similar to the north, connecting to I-69.
"If the four-lane connector becomes one of Indiana's top five projects, then this thing is going to be built in my lifetime," Payne said. "A four-lane road out of Owensboro all the way to Indianapolis would be so good for economic development. We have so many exciting things happening here, but one thing we lack is connectivity. And I can't wait to see what the Palmer study says."

theline

Quote from: Grzrd on April 29, 2014, 07:52:00 PM

Owensboro Mayor Payne has also been speaking with the folks in Indiana:

Owensboro Mayor Ron Payne has been leading the charge to get an interstate through Owensboro or to get the city connected to an interstate via a four-lane highway.
An Indiana Department of Transportation official met Friday with Payne and Kentucky Sen. Joe Bowen and confirmed Monday that he anticipates Indiana will take a look at a four-lane connector linking Owensboro to I-69 in southern Indiana.
He said Indiana sees a lot of value in a connection from I-69 through the Jasper-Huntingburg area to Owensboro and on to I-65 in Nashville and points south.

Payne said Tuesday that he's really pleased to hear a date for the Palmer study's release and he's anxious to see what it says.
"But that doesn't mean we've completely stopped our efforts here in Owensboro," the mayor said. "We're going to continue working to get Owensboro on the interstate system."
Payne said after talking to the INDOT official, he's excited about "two good options" for getting that done -- the Natcher Parkway becoming a connector to I-65 or something similar to the north, connecting to I-69.
"If the four-lane connector becomes one of Indiana's top five projects, then this thing is going to be built in my lifetime," Payne said. "A four-lane road out of Owensboro all the way to Indianapolis would be so good for economic development. We have so many exciting things happening here, but one thing we lack is connectivity. And I can't wait to see what the Palmer study says."

Has Mayor Payne been lurking on AA Roads, reading my posts? After his hare-brained scheme to reroute I-69 to Owensboro resulted in near-universal ridicule, I offered the proposal below more than two months ago.
Quote from: theline on February 15, 2014, 10:58:45 PM
If Payne had visited the mayors of Jasper and Huntingburg, he likely would have found receptive ears to upgrading the hell out of 231. And that would have done Owensboro a lot more good than a bunch of crazy talk about rerouting 69. US 231 will probably never get upgraded to interstate status, but an expressway, at least to Crane, could probably be justified and would sure boost the area.

billtm

Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2012, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 04:36:13 PM
Interstate 67 is going to start at Bowling Green go along US 231 to Washington, Indiana; join I-69, and then go to South Bend from Indy.

No it won't. I have heard of no official plans to sign I-67 in Kentucky. The Natcher Parkway from Bowling Green up to the Western Kentucky Parkway is slated to be part of I-66 if it is ever signed.

The Kentucky state map shows the Natcher north of the Western Kentucky Pkwy. designated as Future I-66 Spur.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 29, 2014, 07:52:00 PM
This article (behind $1.00 paywall) reports that the Palmer report should be ready for release by the end of May

This article (behind $1.00 paywall) reports that the Palmer Report has been released and that it would cost about $14 million to elevate the Audubon Parkway between Owensboro and Henderson for use as an I-69 spur, up to $148 million to raise the Natcher Parkway and a part of the former U.S. 60 bypass to interstate standards, and an option to upgrade the Audubon and the portion of U.S. 60 from the Audubon around to the Natcher interchange would cost up to $87 million:

A just-released report says it will cost well over $300 million to raise the Audubon and Natcher parkways and U.S. 60 and U.S. 231 in Owensboro to interstate standards for possible use as interstate spurs connecting to I-69 in Henderson or I-65 in Bowling Green – or to create a new I-67 running through the city ....
The Palmer study concluded that the cost to create an I-67 corridor out of sections of U.S. 60 and U.S. 231 in and near Owensboro – from the U.S. 60 bypass to the Indiana state line – will cost $177 million, not including property purchase or utility relocation.
At the same time, the Palmer study found that it will cost far less to elevate the Audubon Parkway between Owensboro and Henderson for use as an I-69 spur, with that cost at about $14 million. The cost of raising the Natcher Parkway and a part of the former U.S. 60 bypass to interstate standards will cost up to $148 million, the report said. An option to upgrade the Audubon and the portion of U.S. 60 from the Audubon around to the Natcher interchange would cost up to $87 million
One finding in the report that Payne and Amy Jackson, president of the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce, found especially encouraging was a paragraph stating that the Natcher Bridge meets all the minimum standards for interstate highway bridges.
"That is phenomenal news," Payne said. "Our bridge is interstate compliant, with no exceptions." ....
The Palmer report was actually two reports. The main report was a study of the Audubon and Natcher parkways and U.S. 60 as possible spurs to either I-69 to the west or to I-65 to the southeast. The second part of the study, which was added at a later date, took in the proposed I-67 corridor ....
The I-67 overview summary in the Palmer report concluded the following: "Based on the findings of this high-level overview for the sections of U.S. 60 and U.S. 231, a majority of the corridor meets the Federal Highway Administration's 13 design features that have been identified as being important to the operational and safety performance of a highway."
The single highest cost item for the I-67 corridor is $60 million to overhaul the intersection of the Natcher Parkway and the former U.S. 60 bypass, followed by $55 million to control access to U.S. 60 and U.S. 231 using frontage roads.

edit

KYTC has posted the Audubon, Natcher and US 60  Report on its website:

http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Pages/Project-Details.aspx?Project=I-69,%20I-66/I-65%20Spurs%20and%20US%2060%20Connection%20Strategic%20Planning%20Corridor%20Study

KYTC has also posted the I-67 report:

http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Pages/Project-Details.aspx?Project=I-67%20Corridor%20Overview

jnewkirk77

Now let's hope KYTC tells Payne that he won't get a penny of it until I-69 is done.  It isn't like the parkways and 60/231 really need major work to improve capacity at this point. It's just "want, want, want."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.