News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Musings on cross-country routes & their control cities

Started by Interstatefan78, October 02, 2012, 11:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 09, 2012, 11:15:59 PM
Quote from: Steve on October 09, 2012, 08:57:43 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 09, 2012, 03:40:36 PM
What is Interstatefan78 talking about? NJDOT doesn't have jurisdiction over any of the NJ Turnpike. Not even the last few miles of I-95 from Route-46 to the G.W. Bridge.
They have jurisdiction over: I-95 Mercer (not Turnpike), I-295 Del Mem Bridge (not Turnpike), I-80 (not Turnpike).
Isn't the NJTP owned and run by the NJ Turnpike Authority?
It's as intuitive as asking if the PATP is run by the PA Turnpike Commission. (:

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on October 09, 2012, 11:32:18 PM
NJDOT has jurisdiction over the DMB?
The part I'm referring to is the brief section of I-295 between the Turnpike and US 130 overpass. I believe it's state maintained SB (there is no gap NB).

ERRRM... never mind. Looks like Turnpike for some reason has taken over that part of 295.

NE2

Since it was built as part of the Turnpike before I-295 came along (as US 130 there), it makes sense. The DMB and NJTP arbitrarily chose a changeover point (the US 130 overpass).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

StogieGuy7

Quote from: NE2 on October 10, 2012, 12:18:50 AM
Since it was built as part of the Turnpike before I-295 came along (as US 130 there), it makes sense. The DMB and NJTP arbitrarily chose a changeover point (the US 130 overpass).

Since what was built as part of the Turnpike?  I-295?  Not sure if that's what you meant, but if so.....

I recall being on the (then 4 lane) NJ Turnpike back in the late 60s and very early 70s when I-295 was being built.  It never was part of the turnpike; however, the presence of NJTPA land surely influenced the routing of I-295.  Cheaper to build in an area where there has long been a highway corridor than cutting through residential areas.   

But you can clearly see that I-295 diverges away from the Turnpike near interchanges, in order to allow space for the ramps.  Then it snuggles back in with the Turnpike until approaching the next one.   

As a kid, I recall how boring the Turnpike was in that area and the new freeway seemed more interesting.  More exits/signs, etc.  Meanwhile the Turnpike was narrow and ran through the woods.  As interchanges were (and are) widely spaced, there wasn't much "action".   So, I always wished that we were on 295 instead, which is why I recall this so clearly.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on October 11, 2012, 09:47:39 AM
Quote from: NE2 on October 10, 2012, 12:18:50 AM

Since what was built as part of the Turnpike?  I-295?  Not sure if that's what you meant, but if so.....

Obviously that's what he meant. The portion of what is now 295 between the Del Mem Br and the beginning of the Turnpike. No one seriously thinks that I-295 north of there was built by the NJTA.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

swbrotha100

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 12, 2012, 03:03:16 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 03, 2012, 05:46:29 PM
Going west from NYC, it should just be signed "The West".

ducks for cover

That's an awesome New Yorker cover. I don't think that's too far from the truth as far as the mindset of some people.

1995hoo

My parents had a dry-mounted poster of that cover when I was growing up. The part I always liked the most is the depiction of Jersey as a strip of dirt. When I looked at the poster I always envisioned Jersey as a dirt road.

The location of DC on the Mexican border reminds me of a girl we met in Moose Factory, Ontario, who asked if we live near the Equator (bearing in mind there are no roads connecting Moose Factory and the adjacent town of Moosonee to the North American highway network so the odds were she had never been anywhere else in her life).

empirestate

Isn't anyone going to point out that the Miller Elevated Highway still stands in that New Yorker cover?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: empirestate on October 19, 2012, 11:27:14 AM
Isn't anyone going to point out that the Miller Elevated Highway still stands in that New Yorker cover?
Did the Miller last through 1976, or was it torn down before?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

empirestate

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 20, 2012, 02:50:59 PM
Did the Miller last through 1976, or was it torn down before?

Demolition began in 1977 and lasted 12 years. It had been closed since 1973.
http://www.nycroads.com/roads/west-side/

kphoger

Isn't anyone going to mention that Nebraska is not west of Kansas; nor Utah, west of Las Vegas?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2012, 08:16:46 AM

Isn't anyone going to mention that Nebraska is not west of Kansas; nor Utah, west of Las Vegas?

It's the New Yorker's (read: Manhattanite's) view of the world...are you saying they are aware of such petty details, when they don't even know what's on the far side of Queens??

1995hoo

Quote from: empirestate on October 21, 2012, 12:20:51 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2012, 08:16:46 AM

It's the New Yorker's (read: Manhattanite's) view of the world...are you saying they are aware of such petty details, when they don't even know what's on the far side of Queens??

Confucius say, "He who laugh last no get joke."

wphiii

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, so apologies if it's too far off topic...but while we're on the subject of long-distance interstates and their control cities, I was just passing through Memphis last week and was reminded of the horrible example of "local black hole syndrome" coming from the south on I-55 just before the interchange with I-240.

What I mean by this is, it seems like DOT's can sometimes get so preoccupied with long-distance travel that they forget there's a major urban area right there that might actually be someone's destination. So, lo and behold, coming up I-55 from the south approaching Memphis, on the main array of signs, there is no positive guidance to anywhere actually in Memphis (I will admit to being unsure of whether there is something on a supplemental further out, but it is still quite disconcerting not to have anything on the primary overhead array).

Nashville also suffers deplorably from this problem, and there I know there are no supplementals further out. Coming in I-40 from the Airport, you can actually see the Downtown skyline, and yet you're just inundated with directions to Memphis/Clarksville/Louisville.

Are there other places that have this issue? I've been through a lot of cities but I can't remember it standing out so egregiously as in Nashville and Memphis...is this just a TDOT thing?

bassoon1986

^^
I'm surprised Little Rock isn't signed with 55 north. Yes, 55 doesn't serve Little Rock but it's the shortest distance to 40 west. 240 west would be an appropriate one to substitute Memphis in place of it's current city. Gotta remember that 69 will be a pull thru sign eventually and what city/cities would it show on its sign?

InterstateNG

One is already well into Memphis at that interchange.
I demand an apology.

wphiii

Quote from: InterstateNG on October 23, 2012, 04:51:08 PM

And that fact does absolutely nothing to help one actually find their way around Memphis.

Alps

Quote from: wphiii on October 23, 2012, 05:05:51 PM

And that fact does absolutely nothing to help one actually find their way around Memphis.
Memphis shouldn't be listed as a destination itself, but DOWNTOWN would certainly be helpful in this situation.

wphiii

Quote from: Steve on October 23, 2012, 06:51:14 PM
Quote from: wphiii on October 23, 2012, 05:05:51 PM

Memphis shouldn't be listed as a destination itself, but DOWNTOWN would certainly be helpful in this situation.

Well yes, I thought that was implied. My fault for not being clearer.

It would be especially nice in Nashville to have positive guidance to both Downtown and the West End (where Vanderbilt, Belmont, and all the hospitals are).

Not sure if there's another area in Memphis with that level of traffic generation, but yeah, I remember coming upon that for the first time and being so caught up in all the far-off destinations that I almost forgot where I was supposed to actually go to get to Downtown Memphis. Fortunately, I'd looked at a map of my route in advance as I usually do before any trip, so I was able to go the right way, but I would wager that the vast majority of people don't bother doing that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.