Texas Toll 49 - Tyler, Texas

Started by BigMattFromTexas, July 31, 2010, 01:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

I've seen some aerial (sp) pictures of 49 on Google; I can tell there are plans to make it into a divided highway, seeing as it has on/off ramps. If I go to Tyler anytime soon, I'm gonna take pictures, but for now all I have is crappy Google links and TxDOT project links.

Google:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=San+Angelo,+Tom+Green,+Texas&t=h&ll=32.2462,-95.321331&spn=0.096257,0.247192&z=13
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=San+Angelo,+Tom+Green,+Texas&t=h&ll=32.246572,-95.281516&spn=0.006016,0.01545&z=17

TxDOT:
http://apps.dot.state.tx.us/apps/project_tracker/projectdetails.htm?projid=348701004&dist=Tyler

Tollway 49:
http://www.loop49.org/

txstateends

The next 3 segments are being worked on now.  The one between TX 155 in Noonday and TX 31 west of Tyler can be seen (dirtwork and preliminaries) on Google Maps aerial (http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.287133,-95.39772&spn=0.068061,0.134411&t=h&z=13).  The part between TX 31 and I-20 (west of US 69) (http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.402864,-95.409737&spn=0.135948,0.268822&t=h&z=12) just got started and the section between FM 756 and TX 110 (http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.257378,-95.257473&spn=0.068083,0.134411&t=h&z=13) is underway -- farther along than TX 31--I-20 but not yet visible overhead by Google.  The approximate NW future point of Loop 49/I-20 is also marked in both directions on I-20 with this sign (http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.468966,-95.434585&spn=0,0.016801&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=32.468973,-95.434814&panoid=qIrvMXyR083-8S35G5siiA&cbp=12,292.79,,1,-1.49); the signs on I-20 originally had the regular black-on-white 'Loop' shield style for TX on the "future route" signs, before the minds were changed about Loop 49 becoming a toll road.

The 2-lane arrangement (basically a electronically-tolled super-2) will be the case for the forseeable till much more toll revenue comes in; I'm not sure of that progress of late.  Don't know how, long-term, that everyone locally there will just fall all over a 2-lane tolled road, when there are so many other existing free routes in the area.  I guess this is sorta like Tyler's way to have a 2nd chance at a controlled-access loop that they didn't think about when Loop 323 came into being.

The suits are also wanting an extension north of that NW point with I-20 around to the west of Lindale to a point north of there on US 69.  This would provide a 'relief route' around Tyler for US 69, even though they're stopping short of marketing it as such.  Lately there hasn't been as much talk about the Lindale extension, probably because of funding.  If you look at the website for the loop, you will see a weaker emphasis on the eastern part vs. the south and western parts of the corridor.  Originally this was more evenly promoted among all sides.  But they've added this silly new 'hourglass' connection of wishful thinking that would connect Loop 49 to a future Longview outer loop (notice I said future, they're nowhere near turning any dirt for that), even though TX 31 and I-20 both *already* connect both cities, for the most part.  There's also more wishful thinking that there will be some kind of further connection between the 2 cities and the possible future I-x69 spur (even though, again, I-20 _already_ does that).
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

wtd67

If you're traveling west on Highway 31 this weekend you might encounter some delays.

TxDOT crews are constructing the new bridge that will allow Loop 49 to pass over highway 31.

If you're traveling this way on Saturday, we're told the highway could be shut down while crews continue work on the bridge.

This span of the Loop, from Highway 155 to Highway 31 is expected to open later this year.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

http://www.kltv.com/story/16620255/planning-on-driving-hwy-31-this-weekend-may-want-to-think-again

dariusb

Are there any renderings for this loop? Will it be a pretty big?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dariusb

Just disregard that post. I wasn't paying attention.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

wtd67

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20120625/NEWS01/120629890

Segment 5 Of Toll 49 To Open Thursday Afternoon

SMITH COUNTY -- The Texas Department of Transportation announced today it would open to traffic Segment 5 of Toll 49 on Thursday afternoon in time for the evening rush. As part of the opening, new traffic signals will be activated at Toll 49 and SH 110 north of Whitehouse, and at FM 2964 (Rhone's Quarter).

The segment connects with existing Toll 49 at FM 756 (Paluxy Drive), which runs west to SH 155 (Frankston Highway), where Segment 3A is still under construction and expected to be open by the end of October.

"It's an exciting time for us, and for East Texas," said TxDOT spokesman Larry Krantz. "We're finally starting to realize the potential this project promised when we opened the first segment."

Toll 49 opened its first segment, between US 69 and SH 155, in August 2006. Segment 2 extended the toll road to FM 756 in January 2008. Once segments 3A and 5 are open, Toll 49 will stretch approximately 16 miles between SH 31 west of Tyler and SH 110 southeast of Tyler, essentially from Chandler to Whitehouse.
Electronic toll collection on Segment 5 will begin in August.

"In the meantime," Krantz added, "It's free to drive on Toll 49 between SH 110 and FM 756 (Paluxy Drive). Once tolling begins, it will cost 25 cents with a TxTAG to drive the new segment."

Segment 3B of Toll 49, which will connect SH 31 west of Tyler and IH 20 near Hide-A-Way Lake, is scheduled to open by the end of 2013, according to the NETRMA, which is overseeing its construction.

The $15.6 million Segment 5 project was made possible by funding from Proposition 14, which borrows money against future gas tax revenues to push projects forward.

Proposition 14 funding for several projects across the state was awarded on a competitive basis.

"The light has finally turned green on this segment," Krantz said in a February 2010 release when the project broke ground. "We thought we'd secured funding for this project several times, only to see it slip away for one reason or another."

The same was true for Segment 3A, a 6-mile piece running west of Tyler from SH 155 to SH 31, which broke ground in 2009 thanks to an infusion of economic stimulus money.

"This entire Toll 49 project has been a long time coming," Krantz said. "And we wouldn't have made it this far without our partnerships with the City of Tyler, Smith County and the NETRMA, among many others."

blawp

A waste. East Texas has some of the highest poverty and worst schools in the nation and they pour resources into a toll road from nowhere to nowhere.

Alps

Quote from: blawp on June 26, 2012, 01:14:09 AM
A waste. East Texas has some of the highest poverty and worst schools in the nation and they pour resources into a toll road from nowhere to nowhere.
Do you have a source for those factoids or is your source "it's not California"?

Grzrd

Quote from: blawp on June 26, 2012, 01:14:09 AM
East Texas ... pour resources into a toll road from nowhere to nowhere.

This article provides an update about Toll 49 (title and first part of article are about I-69; Toll 49 is discussed at the end of the article).  An interesting piece of information to me is that workers coming into Tyler swell the population from 100,000 to 300,000 on a daily basis:

The group also discussed the Toll 49 project, which will run from north of Lindale and curve around south Tyler to alleviate traffic congestion.
The toll road is broken into six segments. Three of those areas are open. They include: Segment 1; Segment 2, from U.S. 69 to FM 756 (Paluxy Road), and Segment 5, from FM 756 (Paluxy East) to Texas 110,which opened the last week in June.
Under construction, and about 90 percent complete, is the portion running from Texas 155 on the west side of Tyler to Texas 31. The segment is expected to open in the fall or early winter of this year.
Scheduled to open sometime in 2013 is the segment from Texas 31 North to Interstate 20.
Completing the last section will allow people from Whitehouse to go all the way to I-20 without having to stop for a traffic light.
The final segment, from I-20 north to U.S. 69 above Lindale is in the early planning stages. Construction has not been funded.
Tyler's population swells from about 100,000 to about 300,000 daily from people coming to work in the city, said James C. Varnell, senior engineer with Atkins North America Inc, the general engineer consultants for NET Regional Mobility
Varnell said there is preliminary talk about extending the toll road east, to connect with U.S 259 north of Longview.

Alex

Quote from: Grzrd on July 11, 2012, 10:38:35 AM

The group also discussed the Toll 49 project, which will run from north of Lindale and curve around south Tyler to alleviate traffic congestion.
The toll road is broken into six segments. Three of those areas are open. They include: Segment 1; Segment 2, from U.S. 69 to FM 756 (Paluxy Road), and Segment 5, from FM 756 (Paluxy East) to Texas 110,which opened the last week in June.
Under construction, and about 90 percent complete, is the portion running from Texas 155 on the west side of Tyler to Texas 31. The segment is expected to open in the fall or early winter of this year.
Scheduled to open sometime in 2013 is the segment from Texas 31 North to Interstate 20.
Completing the last section will allow people from Whitehouse to go all the way to I-20 without having to stop for a traffic light.
The final segment, from I-20 north to U.S. 69 above Lindale is in the early planning stages. Construction has not been funded.

I updated the Loop 49 page to reflect the opening of Segment 5. The article posted further up thread mentions that Segment 3A (SH 155 to SH 31) will open in October. The link to IH 20 is slated for opening by late 2013.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.