News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A-30 Updates

Started by Dr Frankenstein, October 02, 2011, 11:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

I think the toll barrier is between the bridge over St. Lawrence River and the tunnel under Canal Soulanges.

Duke87

So, no free rides for Americans then...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dr Frankenstein

Nope. :p

This morning, they were installing BGSes on side roads. I drove across the crew installing the signs on route 205 (interchange 26), and the truck had more panels on its bed including those for Chemin du Canal (unsigned 61342, interchange 17). The mainline BGSes for interchange 26 weren't installed yet so I assume they're coming very soon too.

vdeane

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 19, 2012, 08:01:35 PM
Yup, it has conventional toll booths because it is expected to serve through (non-local) traffic bypassing Montreal. Since Canada does not have a program like EZ-Pass, non-locals are unlikely to have a compatible tag, therefore an all-electronic system would be impractical.
They could always partner with ON 407 to join EZ-Pass ;) The Peace Bridge did.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webfil

Monseigneur-Langlois bridge and the nine (9) ones over Saint-Charles River will remain open, for those who would not want to overload their credit card nor manipulate these yucky, trashy canadian coins ;-)

Also, prepaid transponders will be available over the Internets.

Peace Bridge is joint US/Canada administration, IIRC, hence the american payment option - the EZ-Pass.

Duke87

Quote from: webfil on November 20, 2012, 01:23:35 PM
Monseigneur-Langlois bridge and the nine (9) ones over Saint-Charles River will remain open, for those who would not want to overload their credit card nor manipulate these yucky, trashy canadian coins ;-)

This doesn't help anyone clinch the new highway.  ;-)

My concern is more how would the toll collector handle someone who cannot speak French. I expect no accommodation since it is not a federal bridge.

Any idea how much the toll will be?

Dr Frankenstein

Not 100% sure. 30¢-70¢ per axle, last I heard.

Since the highway will handle traffic from both Ontario and Montreal's English-speaking West Island neighbourhoods, there will probably be at least basic service in English.

AsphaltPlanet

I wouldn't be too worried, when is the last time you had to speak to a toll booth collector anywhere?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 21, 2012, 10:23:32 AM
I wouldn't be too worried, when is the last time you had to speak to a toll booth collector anywhere?

When they tell you how much your toll is. I don't really even know any French numbers beyond 5 or so. And yes, there may be a sign listing toll rates posted, but suppose you missed the sign or for some reason paid the wrong amount?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

webfil

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 21, 2012, 10:44:11 AM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 21, 2012, 10:23:32 AM

When they tell you how much your toll is. I don't really even know any French numbers beyond 5 or so. And yes, there may be a sign listing toll rates posted, but suppose you missed the sign or for some reason paid the wrong amount?

You have to cross at least 3 signs like this :

La revue de cœur et d'action

Le Courrier de Laval

TVA Nouvelles

If you do not understand, after 3 signs, that the car pictogram represents you, the numbers in the VMD represent an amount and the "$" sign means "dollars", then you are doomed... Moreover, if you miss the 3 signs, then pay attention!

According to the 2011 census, Over 60% of the greater Montréal have a good, very good knowledge of the English language or have it has mother-tongue. You'd be out of luck picking a booth where the clerk is unable to gabble the amount you have to pay, even if it is in approximate English...

Anyway, if you are not prepared to use other languages when foreign travelling, you will be better off home, safe and sound.  :sombrero:

deathtopumpkins

^You so completely horribly missed my point.

I'm not some moron. I was merely telling AsphaltPlanet that you do frequently actually have to talk to toll collectors.

And I've never seen a Quebec toll rates sign before. It's nice to see that they're much more informative and easy to understand than most of their US counterparts.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

webfil

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 22, 2012, 01:54:16 PM

I did. Sorry 'bout that.

InterstateNG

I'm not some moron. I was merely telling AsphaltPlanet that you do frequently actually have to talk to toll collectors.

And I've never seen a Quebec toll rates sign before. It's nice to see that they're much more informative and easy to understand than most of their US counterparts.

And every toll booth I've ever gone through displays what you owe right there at the booth digitally.  Grow up.
I demand an apology.

Duke87

Quote from: InterstateNG on November 22, 2012, 05:52:03 PM
every toll booth I've ever gone through displays what you owe right there at the booth digitally.

Or have fixed signs with the toll rate.

Really, there isn't any typical interaction that isn't basic. Practically speaking there's no problem. It's a purely emotional issue of being intimidated by the idea of having to talk to someone who doesn't speak your language.

Hell, even when people do speak my language, I prefer interacting with a machine for things like this. Talking to real people takes more effort.

deathtopumpkins

And every toll booth I've ever gone through displays what you owe right there at the booth digitally.  Grow up.

First of all, insulting other members is rude. I don't see how it is juvenile of me to comment on the fact that I find Quebec toll rate signs more informative and understandable than their US counterparts. I've noticed you always seem to have this chip on your shoulder. You really should take care of that.

Secondly, I've been through countless tolls where I don't know how much they cost. The only time I've ever seen a digital display ahead of the toll booth is on Delaware Route 1, where there is ONE advance sign, rather than multiple ones like in the example. What I'm used to is the signs found on the New Hampshire turnpikes: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BOGbjkZEWNY/SkGWHoHQIbI/AAAAAAAAI98/xg9O0u__120/s855/IMG_6072.JPG

Yes, toll rates are generally clearly posted in the US, I just think those Quebec examples are even better. I don't see why you have a problem with that.

Alps

I was just through two plazas on I-376 (PA) where I only got by because I had memorized the rates beforehand. I did eventually locate toll rate signs at both plazas, but there was nothing in advance to help you prepare your coins.

BTW, everyone here should grow up. Including me. Oh, look, I just did ever so slightly. Magic.

InterstateNG

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 22, 2012, 06:13:53 PM

First of all, insulting other members is rude. I don't see how it is juvenile of me to comment on the fact that I find Quebec toll rate signs more informative and understandable than their US counterparts. I've noticed you always seem to have this chip on your shoulder. You really should take care of that.

Secondly, I've been through countless tolls where I don't know how much they cost. The only time I've ever seen a digital display ahead of the toll booth is on Delaware Route 1, where there is ONE advance sign, rather than multiple ones like in the example. What I'm used to is the signs found on the New Hampshire turnpikes: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BOGbjkZEWNY/SkGWHoHQIbI/AAAAAAAAI98/xg9O0u__120/s855/IMG_6072.JPG

Yes, toll rates are generally clearly posted in the US, I just think those Quebec examples are even better. I don't see why you have a problem with that.

Where's the insult?
I demand an apology.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: InterstateNG on November 25, 2012, 02:41:52 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 22, 2012, 06:13:53 PM

Where's the insult?

Really? Really?

Dr Frankenstein

As of last night, A-530 in Valleyfield is signed, nearly complete and open to traffic on both carriageways (until exit 9/ Boulevard Pie-XII/unsigned 60990, of course). The exit 5 trumpet with Boulevard Monseigneur-Langlois (132/201) is therefore complete and fully open.

The EB side has both lanes open at full 100 km/h speed (the former 2-lane highway was posted at 90), the WB side has only one lane due to the ongoing completion of the noise barrier on that side.

bcaven

Dr Frankenstein

I'm getting reports from facebook friends that it's open as of right now. I'm itching to go. I'm not seeing traffic from my backyard window, I might have to hop in my car.

EDIT: The reports were bogus. Still, it will be open tomorrow afternoon.

Stephane Dumas

Dr Frankenstein

It is, and I clinched it as soon as I could. :p

ghYHZ

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 15, 2012, 05:44:36 PM
It is, and I clinched it as soon as I could. :p

I plan to clinch it Boxing Day on the way to Ottawa........and what a pleasure that drive will be now!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: webfil on November 20, 2012, 01:23:35 PM
Peace Bridge is joint US/Canada administration, IIRC, hence the american payment option - the EZ-Pass.

No technical reason that E-ZPass could not be expanded to include Canadian jurisdictions.  With the increasing popularity of all-electronic toll collection (the concept was first implemented on Highway 407 in Ontario), toll roads and toll crossings in Canada (from Ontario east) really should join the E-ZPass IAG.

U.S. states and Canadian provinces have implemented apportioned truck and bus registration plates (most U.S. states and Canadian provinces participate), details here, as well as road use taxes for those vehicles (sometimes called fuel tax stickers, details here).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.