News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How many cars use TX Toll 49 a day?

Started by bugo, April 26, 2012, 09:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I can imagine it must be in the dozens.  As it exists today, this is one of the most useless highways in the country.

blawp

Agreed 100%. The thing screams corruption.

txstateends

The locals are trying to downplay it, but it's being seen as a long-term US 69 reliever route (especially if they can get the extension they want north of I-20 and west of Lindale).  Apparently enough people are dumb enough to drive that road, to have raised some of if not all the $$$ for the TX 155-to-TX 31 work going on now, as well as the preliminary work for the part between TX 31 and I-20.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

dariusb

I read it was supposedly built to accomodate future growth but since Tyler's current loop is very congested, wouldn't it make more since to expand that or is that not possible?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

wtd67

I live outside of Tyler and I can tell you it is greatly needed.  There are no freeways in Tyler and trying to get from one side of Tyler to the other is a frustrating drive of red light to red light.  Widening Loop 323 would not do any good, there is too much built up on the loop and it is mostly six lanes.  They have supposedly synchronized the lights, but they always seem to turn red when you get to the next one (so I guess that it is, but backwards). 
I am still shocked they started Loop 49 from nowhere to nowhere and more shocked when I see a vehicle driving on it.  The loop is supposed to be finished late next year to I-20 and I will be very willing to pay what they want to avoid Tyler.  I wish it would have been built as a 4 lane road, but two lanes will work fine as long as I don't have to drive through Tyler to get to I-20.

The stretch from FM756 to SH 110 is in final paving and should be opening in a few months.  I believe the stretch from SH155 to SH 31 should be opening after that.  The stretch from SH 31 to I-20 is under construction and where it connects to I-20, the trees were cleared in the past two weeks.

blawp

How would loop 49 help get someone from one side of Tyler to the other?

NE2

Quote from: blawp on April 30, 2012, 12:55:16 AM
Sprawl.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wtd67

Quote from: blawp on April 30, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

I will use the Loop to avoid Tyler.  I have to drive to Dallas two to three times a week and it takes about 45 minutes to go about 20 miles from the SE side of Tyler to I-20 & US 69 (NW Tyler).  I am hoping the new Loop will cut of about 10-15 minutes of drive time and lower my blood pressure.  I moved here over 10 years ago and couldn't believe that a city of 100,000 people did not have any freeways.

The purpose of the Loop is to divert traffic around Tyler.  It is supposed to take traffic off of US 69 through Tyler.  The only reason it was tolled is to get it built sooner.  I believe if it wasn't tolled, it was projected to be completed by 2030 if the funds were available; i.e., it had to be tolled or it would not be completed in our lifetime.  As with any new freeway in Texas, if you want it, you gotta toll it. 

Sykotyk

I drove through Tyler once... Once. Longest hour of my life.

Would gladly pay a toll to bypass that traffic hell.

blawp

Gee I didn't realize Tyler was such a buzzing metropolis.

dariusb

Quote from: wtd67 on April 29, 2012, 04:00:19 PM
I live outside of Tyler and I can tell you it is greatly needed.  There are no freeways in Tyler and trying to get from one side of Tyler to the other is a frustrating drive of red light to red light.  Widening Loop 323 would not do any good, there is too much built up on the loop and it is mostly six lanes.  They have supposedly synchronized the lights, but they always seem to turn red when you get to the next one (so I guess that it is, but backwards). 
I am still shocked they started Loop 49 from nowhere to nowhere and more shocked when I see a vehicle driving on it.  The loop is supposed to be finished late next year to I-20 and I will be very willing to pay what they want to avoid Tyler.  I wish it would have been built as a 4 lane road, but two lanes will work fine as long as I don't have to drive through Tyler to get to I-20.

The stretch from FM756 to SH 110 is in final paving and should be opening in a few months.  I believe the stretch from SH155 to SH 31 should be opening after that.  The stretch from SH 31 to I-20 is under construction and where it connects to I-20, the trees were cleared in the past two weeks.

I would've thought they'd have already built it to 4 lanes to avoid having to do it later.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.