News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: New toll relief plan could expand to Northern Virginia

QuoteA new toll relief plan in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia could foreshadow similar benefits for drivers in Northern Virginia.

QuoteThe Toll Relief Program announced for low-income Norfolk and Portsmouth residents this week will offer refunds of 75 cents per trip for qualifying residents who take eight or more trips in a month through the Downtown or Midtown tunnels.

QuoteBut more and more toll facilities are coming to Northern Virginia: The Virginia Department of Transportation is launching rush-hour tolls next year for solo drivers on Interstate 66 inside the Capital Beltway and preparing to select a preferred private partner for construction of new Express Lanes outside the Beltway. And a top Virginia transportation official told WTOP the state plans to consider similar toll discount plans for Northern Virginia residents in the future.

QuoteAny new toll relief program would be contingent on the success of the rebates in Hampton Roads.

QuoteIn that program, the operator of the tunnels, Elizabeth River Crossings, is providing $500,000 per year for 10 years in toll offsets. To qualify for the rebates, drivers must live in Norfolk or Portsmouth, make $30,000 or less per year, have or get a Virginia E-ZPass account, and reapply each year with proof of residency and income.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 13, 2016, 08:01:03 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on May 19, 2016, 12:22:21 PM
The contract to extend the 95 Express Lanes south 2 miles was awarded this week ($31M).  Construction to start this summer with the SB side opening late '17/early '18 and the NB part opens in summer '18...

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/statewide/2016/ctb_awards_contract_for96133.asp

Orange signs are going up today (still covered) and some equipment has arrived in the median south of SR 610, so I think they are about to start removing trees from the median for this extension...

A brief update on the 2 mile southern extension of the 95 HOoT lanes...

Tree removal is essentially complete now.  There is a fair bit of earth removal to be done, especially south of SR 610 - a couple different parts of the median are taller than the 610 overpass...

Mapmikey

The Outer Loop toll lanes yesterday were $30 at 5:10 p.m.  There was a wreck at the end of the lanes a little before then and then also a wreck near US 29.  There have been a fair number of crashes between I-66 and Gallows Rd.

The highest I had seen prior to this was $21.

My observation is that if it is higher than $15, it is definitely not free flowing throughout, though it is still possible the average speed for the entire trip would still be at least 45 mph.

Over the last couple months it has been routine that it is slow from I-66 to Gallows Rd from volume and trying to work in merging traffic from US 29, even when there were no crashes.  The mainline beltway is routinely crawling from VA 123 to Gallows...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 07, 2016, 07:27:04 AM
Over the last couple months it has been routine that it is slow from I-66 to Gallows Rd from volume and trying to work in merging traffic from US 29, even when there were no crashes.  The mainline beltway is routinely crawling from VA 123 to Gallows...

That's impressive (and not entirely in a good way, since it will probably lead to calls for government intervention in the process of setting and computing tolls).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Is there any upper bound, either by policy or algorithm?

Traffic was so bad that it was faster for me to park in Rosslyn and walk to Georgetown than it was to inch along to the Key Bridge.

Post Merge: December 08, 2016, 07:04:36 AM

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 07, 2016, 07:27:04 AM
The mainline beltway is routinely crawling from VA 123 to Gallows...

Probably the new normal considering the current and planned development in the Tysons Corner area.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

Considering the vote in favor of extending the HOT Lanes to the Potomac on I-395 was 5-0, I am unsure why Dr. Gridlock put "maybe" in the article title.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Haven't heard of this happening before: Tolls have been eliminated on the Inner Loop this morning due to an approximately 30-car pileup at Gallows Road, I assume due to the freezing rain.

Mapmikey

This used to happen once every few years on 95 when it was still just an HOV setup.  Restrictions would be lifted if the mainline was going to be closed for a longer period of time.

expresslanes.com suggests that VDOT has the authority to make the tolls be lifted in certain situations...

1995hoo

Yeah, I remember that with the HOV often enough. I just don't recall this having been done as to the tolls so far except late at night when snow was forecast because they wanted to encourage people to use all the lanes so snow wouldn't accumulate as much.

AlexandriaVA

I wonder if VDOT has to make an in-kind payment to Transurban to offset lost projected revenue.

1995hoo

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 17, 2016, 11:52:39 AM
I wonder if VDOT has to make an in-kind payment to Transurban to offset lost projected revenue.

Have you been out at all? If so, how are the roads in Alexandria? Trying to determine whether to head out soon.

Edited to add: Never mind. I was scheduled to have lunch with my father and brother at RT's, but my dad lives at the bottom of a hill and found his driveway is still a sheet of ice, so we cancelled. Oh well. I can't say as I wanted him driving today anyway.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2016, 12:02:19 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 17, 2016, 11:52:39 AM

Have you been out at all? If so, how are the roads in Alexandria? Trying to determine whether to head out soon.

Edited to add: Never mind. I was scheduled to have lunch with my father and brother at RT's, but my dad lives at the bottom of a hill and found his driveway is still a sheet of ice, so we cancelled. Oh well. I can't say as I wanted him driving today anyway.

RT's is on my to-do list concerning local restaurants.

I was going to pick up a family member up Glebe Rd from Ballston to take him to Rosslyn to pick up a bus to NYC at 11 AM, but he rebooked his trip for like 2 PM, which was in part to let the roads soften up for the benefit of both myself and his bus.

1995hoo

RT's is owned by the same people who own the Warehouse and the Wharf, both on King Street. The she-crab soup is a must-have.

AlexandriaVA

For what it's worth, roads were fine at 1 PM...sidewalks not so much if in the shade or untreated.

1995hoo

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 17, 2016, 03:03:27 PM
For what it's worth, roads were fine at 1 PM...sidewalks not so much if in the shade or untreated.

Yeah, but I'm glad we cancelled. Just as well my father wasn't out there driving, especially since he said his neighborhood is icy. His balance and his reflexes are not what they used to be, but it wouldn't have made sense for one of us to go pick him up, and he would have refused anyway. Better just to postpone.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Mapmikey

WTOP was reporting why the toll was $30 at the time Thursday afternoon and the reason was for something wholly unnecessary.  The other time it reached $30 was for two wrecks in the lanes.

They were spreading salt which was not going to stick in the lanes the way brine will, because it was dry outside.  On the regular lanes, which I took that day, the salt was already pushed to the shoulders for the most part.

Regardless of method, it should have been done during the overnight on Wednesday.

Unlike the 95 toll lanes, AFAIK there are never any VMS messages telling one that the 495 lanes are severely slow/delayed and one should consider staying out.  I suppose when it reaches $30 it should be apparent there is an issue, but the 95 toll lanes give the get out message with a toll as low as $15 for the last segment which is comparable in length to the 495 lanes.

The Fox News article had a pic that shows the highest rate I am aware of - $31.

1995hoo

Transurban tweeted out that they're offering refunds for the salt truck fiasco.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 07, 2017, 11:32:40 AM
WTOP was reporting why the toll was $30 at the time Thursday afternoon and the reason was for something wholly unnecessary.  The other time it reached $30 was for two wrecks in the lanes.

They were spreading salt which was not going to stick in the lanes the way brine will, because it was dry outside.  On the regular lanes, which I took that day, the salt was already pushed to the shoulders for the most part.

Regardless of method, it should have been done during the overnight on Wednesday.

Unlike the 95 toll lanes, AFAIK there are never any VMS messages telling one that the 495 lanes are severely slow/delayed and one should consider staying out.  I suppose when it reaches $30 it should be apparent there is an issue, but the 95 toll lanes give the get out message with a toll as low as $15 for the last segment which is comparable in length to the 495 lanes.

The Fox News article had a pic that shows the highest rate I am aware of - $31.

Wonder if the Transurban lanes had not been pre-treated with brine for some reason? 

I assume that Transurban's sensors and the like are designed to not be damaged by salt and brine and other substances used during winter maintenance operations, but maybe not?

I have been told that Transurban uses its own maintenance contractor to do what VDOT calls "ordinary maintenance," with the notable exception of winter maintenance (plowing, sanding, salting and the like), which is done by the contractor that does Interstate maintenance for VDOT (I believe ICA for most of Northern Virginia except the approaches to the Wilson Bridge, which are handled by a different company).

Jmiles32

http://potomaclocal.com/2017/01/13/virginia-wont-consider-widening-i-95-blames-express-lanes/
Overall I support privately owned HOT lanes(although state owned ones are much better) but man Virginia really got a horrible deal on the I-95 Express Lanes. Glad to see the state learning and making better deals on the future I-66 ones and hopefully they'll find a loophole or something and be able to fix I-95 at the Occoquan River.
@FixVA28 has a great idea
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Z8T5J2xG7W1onakCADF8Dmc6hq8&ll=38.671128785955%2C-77.25433659999999&z=15
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

NJRoadfan

Why don't they pull a Florida DOT and call the new lane an "auxiliary lane" like the right lane on the Howard Frankland Bridge. :P

Mapmikey

VDOT erred when it didn't extend the 4th lane to Prince William Pkwy as part of the 4th lane addition south from Newington.  It was needed then and would've predated the HOT lanes contract.

Per Kozel's website there was trouble getting funding for the 4th lane project in the 2002-2007 6-year program, but that ROW was essentially already in hand.  However, expanding the project south to PW Pkwy would have had a huge ROW cost especially in the Occoquan Rd (old VA 253) overpass area.

It is also notable that the express lanes also back up occasionally from people exiting at PW PKwy using the exit only lane that drops the HOT lanes from 3 lanes to 2.  I always though that 3rd lane should extend to Dale City flyover exit.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 14, 2017, 01:29:15 PM
VDOT erred when it didn't extend the 4th lane to Prince William Pkwy as part of the 4th lane addition south from Newington.  It was needed then and would've predated the HOT lanes contract.

Would that also have required that the Purple Heart Bridge over the Occoquan River be widened?  Not cheap.

Per Kozel's website there was trouble getting funding for the 4th lane project in the 2002-2007 6-year program, but that ROW was essentially already in hand.  However, expanding the project south to PW Pkwy would have had a huge ROW cost especially in the Occoquan Rd (old VA 253) overpass area.

This was also about the time that the bottom fell out of the VDOT budget due to reduced driving and the refusal of the  Virginia General Assembly to raise the per-gallon tax on motor fuel.

It is also notable that the express lanes also back up occasionally from people exiting at PW PKwy using the exit only lane that drops the HOT lanes from 3 lanes to 2.  I always though that 3rd lane should extend to Dale City flyover exit.

How often does that happen?  Sounds like Transurban needs to raise the price for trips south of the Prince William Parkway.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 16, 2017, 01:35:38 PM

Would that also have required that the Purple Heart Bridge over the Occoquan River be widened?  Not cheap.

This was also about the time that the bottom fell out of the VDOT budget due to reduced driving and the refusal of the  Virginia General Assembly to raise the per-gallon tax on motor fuel.

How often does that happen?  Sounds like Transurban needs to raise the price for trips south of the Prince William Parkway.

The Purple Heart Bridge was widened for the 4th lane project.  The 4th lane makes it to the VA 123 interchange.

The backup at the PW Pkwy exit from the HOT lanes happens at least once a week, sometimes twice.  A substantial portion of traffic exits here.  The problem is whatever is happening at the other end of the ramp, which goes directly into a park and ride lot.  Raising the tolls south of the PW Pkwy wouldn't change anything about this IMO.

It is dangerous on the HOT lanes because traffic is whizzing by at 65+ mph in the remaining 2 through lanes and the 3rd lane is at a stop.  Some people try to dart out from a standstill back into the through lanes to presumably go to the Dale City exit instead.

FYI - The PW Pkwy exit is the next-to-last exit in the middle tolling segment, which is routinely $10 for the full segment.  The last segment to Garrisonville varies widely from as little as $6 but does routinely reach $17.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.