What is up with Google Street View Lately?

Started by roadman65, June 14, 2014, 11:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I have been noticing that you now cannot get to GSV that easily as when you grab the yellow man, the map now zooms out making it impossible to locate the exact point where you want to go to.

Also the yellow man is wearing a white shirt.  Is there something new that Google is trying?  Do they want us to still use GSV?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

freebrickproductions

The yellow man is wearing a white shirt because he's supposed to represent a soccer player (the World Cup is currently going on in Brazil).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

I do not know, but two of my computers will not let me place the man down on the location I want to.  As soon as I move the figure, the map starts zooming away to the point all blue street lines are all one in a specific area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Yeah, I've noticed the new Google Maps Street View has been acting up since yesterday.

Perhaps Pegman has had too many caipirinhas?

jwags

I've found this happens if you search for a place (e.g. hotels).  The map zooms out to allow you to put the man near any hotel.  If you hit the X to clear your search it should work like normal.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2014, 11:29:40 AM
I have been noticing that you now cannot get to GSV that easily as when you grab the yellow man, the map now zooms out making it impossible to locate the exact point where you want to go to.

I noticed that too. Annoying as the dickens.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 14, 2014, 11:40:56 AM
The yellow man is wearing a white shirt because he's supposed to represent a soccer player (the World Cup is currently going on in Brazil).

Who the hell cares? I have about as much interest in soccer as I do in hockey, which is to say none. Why does Google assume that everyone cares about a bunch of people kicking a ball around a field in a sport that is about as exciting as watching paint dry?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

I switched my computer to the old google maps.  I prefer it over the new google maps. The new google maps, just acts up too much on my computer and I'm more used to the old google maps.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on June 14, 2014, 06:38:42 PM
Who the hell cares? I have about as much interest in soccer as I do in hockey, which is to say none. Why does Google assume that everyone cares about a bunch of people kicking a ball around a field in a sport that is about as exciting as watching paint dry?

I agree 100%.  Soccer is even more boring to watch than golf.  Give me a college football or bball game any day.

vdeane

Google loves doing little easter eggs like this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2014, 11:45:57 AM

I agree 100%.  Soccer is even more boring to watch than golf.  Give me a college football or bball game any day.

Soccer is just as engaging as flipping options in a DVD menu.

As for GMaps and GSV, I have my reservations about it.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Mr. Matté

I'm more pissed that it seems whenever I click on an external link to Google Maps (say from this site or Wikipedia), the cookie that states "I F'IN HATE THE NEW GOOGLE MAPS!!!1" doesn't seem to register since the new tab comes up as the new GM and I have to manually switch back to Classic.

kurumi

And new Google Maps *still* doesn't have an option to remove labels and graphic overlays from satellite (errr Earth) view.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 14, 2014, 11:40:56 AM

When I look at the Pegman it wears a red shirt, not a white one :sombrero:. The maps don't act weird to me, though.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

just put pegman randomly down on map (I've set location as UK, so I get northwestern Europe rather than the 10 miles around my house where I know where most things are anyway) and got Brighton Pier by fluke. However, he's not wearing a shirt.

Then I remembered that I'm switcherooing on maps.google.co.uk, and am set to stick with old maps - basically everything to avoid new maps.

So went to. maps.google.fr, .it, .nl, .de, .ru, and saw that they varied the outfit to match the various kits (.ie and other countries that haven't qualified refresh pegman and leave him in the buff). maps.google.com doesn't work for me in giving pegman the USA kit, but its safe to say that google have gone more football crazy than Ulrika Johnson (she's football crazy, she's football mad, there is not a footballer Ulrika hasn't had! (can't get embed to work))

RG407

I had the exact same problem tonight.  The new Google Maps is nowhere near as user-friendly and intuitive as the old version.

D-Dey65

This problem is pissing me off to no end. Most recently when I found out how easy it was to drive from Cortlandt (Metro-North station) to the former Crugers (NYCRR station), and when I tried to zoom onto the former Crugers station, the damn thing zoomed me away.

:angry:

And unfortunately, this hasn't been the only problem I've had with the new Google maps.

formulanone

Bumping this for Kennedy Space Center's Shuttle Landing Facility; take a look at Pegman...

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Only works for me on old Google Maps.  New Maps is just the normal orange pegman.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CNGL-Leudimin

This happened to me a few days ago. Fortunately it was only one day.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2014, 01:05:02 PM
Only works for me on old Google Maps.  New Maps is just the normal orange pegman.

Old Google Maps is the Good Google Maps.

Zeffy

I've been having issues trying to street view freeway-type roads. Whenever I click the road, if I hit the street view button, I get placed on a side road, miles away from my desired location. It's almost driving me to switch back to the old Google Maps on Internet Explorer, which I thought worked decent enough.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on September 12, 2014, 03:18:27 PM
It's almost driving me to switch back to the old Google Maps on Internet Explorer, which I thought worked decent enough.
It still does.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.